Popular Tags: [View All]
Derrek McNab
United States
Sandy
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Update: Well thank you all for your posts! But sadly I have lost interest in the campaign due to the 2nd Edition fixing all my problems I discovered with the 1st edition when doing the campaign, and the 2nd Edition matching my vision of how i really wanted a campaign (my first drafts were similar to the 2nd edition campaign, but just did not seem to work well with the 1st ed rules)

These quests are all yours. As primitive as they may be, feel free to do whatever you want with them and tweak and edit and claim them as your own if you can make them awesome

I have just started a new campaign for Descent titled "Cataclysm". Here I will update my progress for anyone curious with its development, and will upload the pdf when complete.

Cataclysm is a tale in which the undead and monsters have won the war for the planet, forcing the scarce human survivors into the Catacombs, large city sized tombs beneath the planet, and the only shelter from the countless creatures on the surface.

The campaign is designed to play quickly, with beginning quests being very short, starting with the most basic of rules (you only have your bare fists at the start).

Players start with choosing from the 4 starting characters, keeping all treasure found, finding and adding the other 16 characters throughout the campaign, each with their own trait and skill tracking.

Every quest will add a new rule or feature, ensuring every quest plays differently. Blow is an example of the quests, which can branch off allowing players to unlock and obtain things out of order, or even go back to previous quests.

Latest Version: 04-19-2012
http://www.mediafire.com/?lcrhylz1idhphp2
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Thomas
United States
Findlay
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds interesting. There are an awful lot of blocks on that drawing... hopefully you can stick with it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Benson
United States
Westminster
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This sounds really interesting. Hurry up and finish so I can try it out!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derrek McNab
United States
Sandy
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Woo hoo! First 4 quests are done, and at this point probably just need a little more tinkering before i get ready to submit it in the files.
consider this a demo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.J.E. Hendriks
Netherlands
Arnhem
Gelderland
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Subscribing - this looks good!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derrek McNab
United States
Sandy
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Right now I'm a little stuck on quests 5-8.
Each quest unlocks a new order, and I want the heroes to utility the proper order or meet a quick death.

For rest I have alot of closed doors, each with strong enemies behind each, and no vitality potions.
For dodge, I will have a a huge room full of lots of weak enemies.
For guard, the boss gets a huge defense during the heroes turn, and is weak during the overlord's turn. (in this case its Silhoutte, and its her shadow during the hero's turn)
For aim.... hmmm...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corbon Loughnan
Indonesia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kerred wrote:

For aim.... hmmm...

The monsters are very scary (high fear rating). The heroes need aimed shots to reroll the dice that don't have surges and get surges...

You probably want weak monster, low armour and health, so that they die easily if enough surges are rolled.

Balance will be heavily affected by Prodigy, Weapon Wastery and Master Archer skills and Landrec.

Say, lots and lots of skeletons with Fear 3-4...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derrek McNab
United States
Sandy
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice! Its only quest 8 though, skills won't be unlocked until quest 13, and I prefer to save fear for later, so that idea will work later on.

Last night I thought of switching it. Silhoutte will teach you aim, as she will always dodge (her shadow), unless the attacker is aiming like other rules.

Therefore Grey Ker will teach guard. He will have 5 armor during the hero's turn only (not during overlord's turn), and will suffer 2 wounds if the overlord does not attack a hero with him.

Should do the trick without complicating things.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derrek McNab
United States
Sandy
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just a cool thing I thought of this morning
http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m43/kerred1/quest13.jpg

Flavor text when seeing the blue door:
A blue locked rune door lays in front of you, leading a a great hall. Your instincts tell you your hunt would be alot shorter if you could just barge in, however you have grown accustomed to being sidetracked. You continue your search to find a way in in hopes of finding the hound.

If a hero steps through the door into the treasure room:
"As your eager hero dashes into the treasure trove the door locks behind you! You hear an echoing voice shake from the ceilings "divide and conquer" bellows a shattering voice. turning around you notice the door seals and glows red drawing its power from the nearby door.
Out of the put with a mighty leap launches the Hellbeast, landing on all four of its paws, glaring at you as if it doesn't want to share your delicious skin with the rest of its pack."
Overlord: Close the door, and switch the door with the red rune door adjacent to it.

I hope this quest works, as the first 12 quests tend to have simple objectives, usually involving killing a master monster. I want them to believe the blue room is the final battle with the master monster. The treasure room is simply to distract them from the trap. Of course if a smart player realizes that there's no way to open the red/yellow doors, or may think that the yellow/red rune is in the blue room.

I also like that in order to let the hero out, you have to grab the yellow or red rune on the other side, meaning the trapped player has to rely on his or her friend to rescue... but I added some treasure and coins to see if they are willing to run past the treasure to save their comrade faster

I was thinking of having a whole quest devoted to traps similar to "Saw", forcing two to four heroes to decide who gets to survive and who will take the potential wounds

Some ideas I had are where two heroes have to go into separate rooms and stand on two switches to open doors, but the only way to meet up is one hero has to fall into several wide pits to get to the other (a two space pit, an empty space to climb out, and another two space pit)

Another is a room where a hero takes a cumulative burn token every turn (1 burn first turn, 2 burns second turn) to grab a rune in order to open up another door for teammates.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
LIFEFORM - LATE PLEDGE NOW!!!
badge
LIFEFORM - LATE PLEDGE NOW!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Good ideas, keep em coming!
Looking forward to the final result . . .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derrek McNab
United States
Sandy
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Its been a while, but just have the 4th quest to test out and part 1 should be finished!
I don't see any changes I may make to the character sheet anytime soon too

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derrek McNab
United States
Sandy
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well one day i'll get around to playing more Descent with my group.

I modified the first quest because I noticed out of the 5 times people played the first quest, they always went right, never down.

So i moved the boss to the lower room just to throw newbies off

Still waiting to test the 4th quest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazy Bob
Philippines
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
awesomeness. Quest 1 alone looks like a nice way to get in into the game, for both sides.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derrek McNab
United States
Sandy
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep you can easily blow through the first quest in an hour, but still remain the constant communication between the heroes. I also like that the players were talking more about how they were to move and attack rather than asking to repeat rules or questions about rules.

I have a little bit of block for quests 21-27. Each one involves a new monster (ogre, manticore, and bane spider for the melee, ranged, and magic based quests) but just finding a way to make the monster get an attack in or see how it works.

What seems to play best is to have small monsters blocking the larger monsters so heroes can't just run up and slay the new monster as soon as they see it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazy Bob
Philippines
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
that means you already have through quest 20? where is it exactly?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derrek McNab
United States
Sandy
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I only have the maps laid down, I have only typed up the quest info up to quest 8.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazy Bob
Philippines
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kerred wrote:

I have a little bit of block for quests 21-27. Each one involves a new monster (ogre, manticore, and bane spider for the melee, ranged, and magic based quests) but just finding a way to make the monster get an attack in or see how it works.

you could just give them an auto attack when someone opens a new area. Don't have the game in front of me... isn't there an overlord card where you can already do this sort of thing? Or maybe have an unlocked character started webbed and have the players roll for it to go away.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazy Bob
Philippines
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
just to be sure: are glyphs to go back to "town"? or are they just to get conquest back? Somehow in this setting doesn't seem right for them to go back to town, presumably above ground.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derrek McNab
United States
Sandy
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes there is a "town". The town being some large tomb or catacomb sealed off as a last ditch effort to prevent monsters from coming in.
I thought of printing a new town icon circle with the quest map. For now I just have the town tile upside-down.

Fortunately it seems to work out. I note in the first quest the town is deserted as everyone there died of starvation, and you don't have any money for the first quest meaning you can't buy anything in town. Afterwards I note there are few people in shelters who still believe currency has value.

In terms of spoilers, you discover that there may be a method to create a much larger glyph shield above the surface, but will require many wizards to perform (however many of the 20 characters in the game are wizards).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Are you still working on this? The last update was half a year ago.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derrek McNab
United States
Sandy
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
yes, its in the files now, with many many modifcations over the past year. The latest update was last month, but I will be updating it soon and will link it

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derrek McNab
United States
Sandy
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
latest version 2.0
http://www.mediafire.com/?po9q7mqb67q2t7l
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derrek McNab
United States
Sandy
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sadly my Descent junkies haven't all been showing up as much so I haven't been able to test out the newer quests yet But the first 10 quests should keep you busy for a good month.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thijs Schipper
msg tools
I'm currently preparing to start this campaign with a couple of friends and had some questions.

1. Due to the character sheet being a .txt file, the spacing and layout varies with different font faces and sizes. What font did you use to get it to line up the right way? Printing it as my notepad displays it right now results in a messy jumble of words and square brackets.

2. There are two empty squares on the quest sheet. What are those for?

Many thanks for your great work so far, and I hope you can find the time and energy to finish this!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derrek McNab
United States
Sandy
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Try this picture instead?
http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m43/kerred1/campaignsheet...
^
1. Lucida Console font in notepad aligns it nice n neat

I forgot that each notepad user's font is different. Sorry.

2. That must be a problem with the aligment.

It has been a while. Here is the latest version:
http://www.mediafire.com/?lcrhylz1idhphp2

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.