United States
Beech Grove
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Why aren't you PLAYING a game?
mbmbmbmbmb
I find myself hauling half a dozen games everywhere. I'm the game delivery guy. Maybe you're one too.

At my last game gig, I saw a guy with a bag from RedOxx (http://www.redoxx.com/). It was awesome - carried 3 games perfectly. I'm thinking about getting the large version - probably could carry a good 4-5 games in there.

Any thoughts on the best way to haul games here and there?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Sr
United States
Burnsville
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Israeli Duffel bag. If you shop around on line you may find it it the upper $20 range. fits 12 games perfectly.

No, Cthulhu isn't in the bag.

Though the Red Oxx "Safari-Beanos Bag PR6" In red Price: $210.00 looks pretty cool.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Simpson

California
msg tools
designer
publisher
Jules13 makes personal game bags. Geekmail me for her contact info and prices.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Has
United States
Sandy
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
I always just used a cardboard box, but that Israeli Duffel bag is awesome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
norman rule
United States
Columbia
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I use a scrapbook/crafting rolling bag.

It's got sturdy sides and an extending handle, plus loop handles on the side for lifting.

Loading is a snap. Unzip and flip the lid and you've got a good size internal cavity that you can load with one hand. It's also got smaller zippered pockets on the outside for holding smaller games, as well as dice, paper, pens and so on.

Mine has easily held three Ticket To Ride size boxes, Thurn und Taxis, lost cities and Puerto Rico at one time, and all were easily accessible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
norman rule
United States
Columbia
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BeanThere wrote:
but that Israeli Duffel bag is awesome.

It's certainly got the volume, but I've always been wary of putting anything crushable in a softside bag.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed G.
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I made a GeekList about this last week. Dig.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Sr
United States
Burnsville
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
the bottom is waterproof.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Néstor Romeral Andrés
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
adamw wrote:
Any thoughts on the best way to haul games here and there?

Yes. Making them portable.

Cheers,

Néstor Romeral Andrés
nestorgames
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris B
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I use my Dad's old RCAF Navigator's map case. It carries 3 - 4 games plus my mini poker chips. It looks cool and always gets props.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucio Rodriguez
United States
Riverside
California
flag msg tools
designer
Yep, more words here.
badge
This is overtext. Man, what an awesome use of 100 geekgold! :)
mbmbmbmbmb

Hopefully in the next few weeks we'll be able to reveal something a friend, my wife and I have been working on. I've been using our prototype, and even in it's unfinished state it works well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Link
United States
Snowmass Village
Colorado
flag msg tools
mb
My game bag is a hoodie with a drawstring bottom and top. I tie the sleeves together to make a huge messenger bag. ...carry 3+ games comfortably with a strap...$0 for an old hoodie.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Before terraforming Mars, Surviving Mars is required: Paradox Interactive; Steam.
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
I use inexpensive soft-sided duffels with a DIY cardboard liner to protect from odd bumps--for one, I found the perfect used box that just fits inside the duffel. You do need that protection, but you don't want to get (IMHO) a padded, fancy, lots-of-pockets, rolling duffel because all that just adds weight. I feel nylon is best as a shell because it sheds water.

I started stacking them in the duffels, but while that's best for keeping the game bits neat inside their boxes, it's tough to see what's in the bottom of the bag. Now I have my games on end, and it's both easy to see what's there and get it out. Some games need some help dealing with being on their ends, however.

I suggest you look at the sizes available, compare them for fit with your game boxes, and weigh the games you intend to pack to make sure you're not packing more that you can stand. My current "loadout" is about seventy pounds: 25 large (Ticket to Ride) and medium (Ra) box games, plus a bunch of smaller games like Citadels.

I got my duffels at Target, but they seem to have discontinued that line and most of their other duffels. Perhaps they'll return after the holidays. Obviously, you want a box-sewn duffel not a cylinder-sewn duffel.

As lower cost solutions, considering the weather in your area, you might consider Ikea or other reusable plastic bags. Ikea bags are huge and cheap. (Go in the out door as they're sold at checkout.) If you get a lot of rain, you might consider getting a "cover bag" for every carry bag.

I've seen luggage carts with file boxes or Rubbermaid containers, but that's a pretty expensive solution, and the sides of plastic containers narrow for injection molding, whick can place a lot of force on a box in the right (wrong) circumstances.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Forbes

New Hampshire
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The big question isn't whether you want to carry games, but how many, and in what manner?

I use a Bag of Holding.
http://www.thinkgeek.com/computing/bags/aaa5/?cpg=froogle

It's nice. It's a medium sized messenger style bag, with pockets large enough to fit normal largish games (Say, Galaxy Trucker). It has a nice padded, narrow segment that is good to fit a laptop in, and is usable as an overnight bag in a pinch, at least when it's not very cold outside.

It holds a lot more than you think it might by looking at it, but, unfortunately, it isn't a real bag of holding. It'll hold a couple larger games and some card/kosmos size games - plenty if you're bringing a couple games to play. If you're looking to take a selection of games that aren't all little filler, however, you're probably better off with a larger bag, be it a duffel bag, or something like the Trader Joe's paper grocery bags (which also work nicely!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Basil
United States
Clayton
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The most inexpensive solution is either IKEA bags or Costco bags. You can buy them when you check out and they hold about 10 game the size of Dominion. They are amazing and like 3 dollars for 3 at Costco and the newer IKEA ones even zip up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Before terraforming Mars, Surviving Mars is required: Paradox Interactive; Steam.
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
basilmichael wrote:
...the newer IKEA ones even zip up.

Maybe they have two kinds. The bags I saw at Ikea just before Christmas were rather bin-like: very long, reasonably wide, but somewhat shallow. $0.69 each, IIRC. No zip.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Basil
United States
Clayton
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tall_Walt wrote:
basilmichael wrote:
...the newer IKEA ones even zip up.

Maybe they have two kinds. The bags I saw at Ikea just before Christmas were rather bin-like: very long, reasonably wide, but somewhat shallow. $0.69 each, IIRC. No zip.

It will cycle through... the bag I am talking about is 2.99
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave DiMaio
United States
Newark
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The one I use is a Highland Trek 22" duffel bag

I got mine at staples I think, but they're for sale herehttp://luggageatwholesale.com/duffelbags/duffel_bags.htm

It's large and rectangular and at the moment I have in it:
Alea Iacta Est and San Juan in the left pocket
Medici in the right pocket
Category 5 in the little front pocket
The Hanging Gardens, Puerto Rico, Notre Dame, Vino and Age Of Discovery
in the main compartment.
It has served my well and seems to hold up to the heaviest of loads!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CJ
United Kingdom
Colchester
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I got married so I never have to carry anything anymore. Except a whip, in case the wife starts flagging behind cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Crocker
United States
Westland
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

The Ikea bag in action. Don't live near an Ikea? Costco sells these at 3 for $5.00. Same size...twice as much cost as the Ikea bag, but still a great bargain..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rodney Loyd
United States
Sand Springs
OK
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mrorwell wrote:
BeanThere wrote:
but that Israeli Duffel bag is awesome.

It's certainly got the volume, but I've always been wary of putting anything crushable in a softside bag.

I have this style of High Sierra duffle both on rollers and without.

They're great for carrying games and I really like the shoulder strap or wheels. But, I went back to a standard plastic totes like this:

My experience has been that soft-sided bags will damage games. I can't imagine trying to carrying 70lbs of games in a soft-sided bag. There would definitely be some corner dinging and crushing going on. Plus, you have to be careful with soft-sided bags when you set them down. I dinged a lot of corners that way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
norman rule
United States
Columbia
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hotrodqt wrote:
My experience has been that soft-sided bags will damage games. I can't imagine trying to carrying 70lbs of games in a soft-sided bag. There would definitely be some corner dinging and crushing going on. Plus, you have to be careful with soft-sided bags when you set them down. I dinged a lot of corners that way.

Exactly. I have a few soft side bags, but I only use those to carry one or two games. Large numbers of games need some structure to keep them from being damaged.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rodney Loyd
United States
Sand Springs
OK
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mrorwell wrote:
hotrodqt wrote:

Exactly. I have a few soft side bags, but I only use those to carry one or two games. Large numbers of games need some structure to keep them from being damaged.

I agree with that. I still use a soft bag for just a couple of games, no problems. But, with a lot of weight, the bag itself is actually doing the damage. The middle buckles and the sides are drawn in with a lot of force.

I do want one of those Iraeli duffles though!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Johnson
United States
Vernon Hills
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hotrodqt wrote:

I have this style of High Sierra duffle both on rollers and without.

I had to give this a big thumbs up, because High Sierra pays me the money I spend on games.

I haven't decided which of their bags best suits my game transporting needs though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I use a rolling duffle bag that was part of an American Tourister luggage set. We use the suitcases for traveling, but I use the duffle for hauling games. The nice thing is that you can get a whole set of luggage for less than $100. The image below is a little different than mine--my duffle doesn't have the extendable handle, which would be really nice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.