United States
Mason
Michigan
flag msg tools
Being a Lions fan is a gift...
badge
...and a curse.
mbmbmbmbmb
Posting a day early again this week, because I don't know how long I'll be online tomorrow. If you want updates on when new polls are posted, go to The TGIF Poll Subscription Thread.

Poll: The 74th TGIF Poll
At this time of year everyone looks back to the year that's just ended. But, based on the results of my poll from a couple weeks ago, most of us haven't played that many games that were first published in 2009. Therefore, let's look all the way back to 2008. We've had another entire year to play these games, so...

How many games/expansions that were first published in 2008 have you played?
  Your Answer   Vote Percent Vote Count
6.5% 7
0.9% 1
4.7% 5
2.8% 3
2.8% 3
3.7% 4
6.5% 7
3.7% 4
1.9% 2
6.5% 7
4.7% 5
4.7% 5
6.5% 7
1.9% 2
3.7% 4
3.7% 4
1.9% 2
1.9% 2
0.9% 1
0.0% 0
1.9% 2
21-30
13.1% 14
31-40
3.7% 4
41-50
3.7% 4
50+
7.5% 8
Voters 107
Which of the following comes closest to describing how you feel about the overall quality of games released in 2008?
  Your Answer   Vote Percent Vote Count
It was easily one of the best years in history for new games.
7.0% 8
There were some really good games released and so 2008 is a pretty good year.
48.2% 55
There were some hits and some misses, so I'd call 2008 an average year.
29.8% 34
The good games were harder to come by in 2008, so I'd call it a poor year.
5.3% 6
There really wasn't anything to get me excited in 2008, so it was a total bust.
0.0% 0
I still haven't played enough 2008 games to make a judgement.
9.6% 11
Voters 114
This poll is now closed.   115 answers
Poll created by Blott
Closes: Thu Jan 7, 2010 6:00 am

3. Now that you've had another year to play them, what is your absolute favorite game that was first published in 2008?

Any discussion is encouraged.

Oh, and have a safe and HAPPY NEW YEAR!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mousey
Netherlands
Je suis Paris
flag msg tools
ESSEN The Game: SPIEL '13 Featuring Jonah
badge
RIP Jonah Lomu 1975-2015
mbmbmbmbmb
3. Now that you've had another year to play them, what is your absolute favorite game that was first published in 2008?

Pandemic is my favorite game of 2008 (got it from Secret Santa 2008, Thanks again!)

But it's tough, the runners up are:
Sator Arepo Tenet Opera Rotas, still too few plays to be able to rate it good enough.
Powerboats, but just bought it and only played it once.
Fast Flowing Forest Fellers, great game, should maybe rate this higher.
duck! duck! Go!, got this from my Secret Santa 2009, so also too early to rate this correctly, but I'm so happy I got this one!

Yes, 2008 was a great year
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrin Williams
United States
Allen
Texas
flag msg tools
I have overtext. Yes I do.
badge
I have overtext. How 'bout you !
mbmbmbmbmb
Blott wrote:

I'm torn between Battlestar Galactica and Dominion. They're totally different games that each brought something new to my game collection.

All in all, I'd say I like BSG best for the way it uses the traitor element. I also just have too much fun playing it on the BGG forums.

I think all my gaming buddies would say Dominion, which may have burnt me out on it a little.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chevee Dodd
United States
Fairmont
West Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
2008 Brought us Sorry Sliders
what else is there?

Chevee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Cinzori
United States
Holland
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Snow Tails is my favorite game from 2008. I rate it an 8. That indicates to me that it was a good year, not a great one. It's fun, fast, feels like a race, has new and interesting mechanics, and has a sense of humor.

I rate Formula D a 10, but because it's essentially Formula De, I didn't think of it as a 2008 game. An excellent race game.

Successors, 3rd ed., I rate an 8, but it's also a re-implementation. I prefer Hannibal to this, but it's nice to be able to play something like Hannibal with 4 players.

FAB: Bulge is another 8 for me, but it's a little too long, with a few too many exceptions to go higher. Still a nice block war game on the Bulge if you have the time to play it and play it frequently enough to keep the rules in your head.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Barlow
Canada
Stratford
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Starting holiday hangover early
mbmbmbmbmb
Top game for group play: Ice Flow
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Lott
United States
Cheverly
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
d10-1 I've played an even dozen 2008 games, most of which were great.

d10-2 Perhaps not historic, but I would call 2008 a solid good year for games. I think several of them will stand the test of time.

d10-3 I hesitate between Battlestar Galactica: The Board Game and Pandemic - both are excellent. Although I think BSG is the better game, my favorite is Pandemic, because it has broader appeal, plays fast, and I had a lot of great times with it this year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
If Actions Speak Louder Than Words, Then Actions x2 Speak Louder Than Actions
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
One of the Original Twelve
mbmbmbmbmb
Battlestar Galactica
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Reed
United States
College Station
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Blott wrote:
1. How many games/expansions that were first published in 2008 have you played?

I've played 41 and, after looking over my hand-built list of games released (since BGG only allowed me to view 10 pages of games), I'm kind of surprised it is that low!

Blott wrote:
2. Which of the following comes closest to describing how you feel about the overall quality of games released in 2008?

In my opinion, 2008 was an outstanding year. The fact that there are three clearly outstanding (again, for me) games and many others that are extremely good tells me that it was outstanding.

Blott wrote:

This is a tough call - Dominion is, hands down, the game I have played the most since I started tracking plays and the bulk of the 100+ plays have happened this year. Still, Pandemic and Ghost Stories are also outstanding, Le Havre is extremely good, too (but the lengthy playing time and limited number of players makes it very hard to get to the table).

In the end, I think I have to give the nod to a game that smashes through the "nickel" and "dime" categories and passes the "dollar" mark - Dominion it is!

Happy 2010 to everyone! May it be as good a year in gaming as 2008!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr. Dam
Australia
KILLARA
VIC
flag msg tools
badge
May 2018 be all you dreamed it would be and be all that you dreamed...
mbmbmbmbmb
d10-1 Played between 20-30 if not counting smaller expansion releases.

d10-2 A Very Good Year

d10-3 Stone Age but Powerboats is not far behind. I have yet to play Space Alert and that may jump up into the reckoning.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Dean
United States
Chicago
IL
flag msg tools
badge
Pound for pound, the amoeba is the most vicious predator on Earth!
mbmbmb
I though 2008 was pretty mediocre. The only game that really stood out for me was Le Havre (rated an 8). There are a few more games I rate a 7, but overall it was a mediocre year for meaty gamer's games.

There were some good expansions, at least, and I have two expansions rated an 8 or higher.

I have played 25 2008 games. My average for 2008 is 6.36

I think that 2009 was a considerably better year than 2008. My average for 2009 is 6.5, but that is with 3 games rated an 8, 1 expansion rated 8, and 2 expansions rated a 9. I also have a few 7s that could make the leap to 8s with more play. Chaos in the Old World, Dungeon Lords, and Shipyard being the most likely to make the transition.

What brings the average down is I played a few 2009 games that I was really, really unimpressed with. Age of Conan, Roll Through the Ages, and Maori were all annoying and forgettable. I played 22 2009 games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad N
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
Unique titles I've played in 2019
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pandemic is my favorite game from 2008.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Lott
United States
Mason
Michigan
flag msg tools
Being a Lions fan is a gift...
badge
...and a curse.
mbmbmbmbmb
1 - Apparently I've played and rated 35 games that were first published in 2008. I have a total of 234 recorded plays of those 35 games. The most-played is Start Player, but some might argue that it isn't a real game, so the second most played is Sorry! Sliders

2 - For me, it's one of the greatest years in history. 3 of my top 10 games were all published in that year, and a great number of other games that I have gotten a lot of enjoyment from. Of course I am still somewhat of a catch-up gamer (still haven't played a lot of games from the early 2000s) so my opinion isn't the most informed.

3 - You know, I always toss and turn my Top 10 depending on which ones I've played recently and which ones I'm thinking about. Right now I have Space Alert as my 2nd favorite game of all time, so I'll give this one the nod. It's closely followed by Pandemic, Time's Up! Title Recall!, and Say Anything. As for my least favorite game of the year, it would have to be that tedious root-canal-like experience of playing Wealth of Nations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmbmb
So, now actually looking back at them:

I have BSG Rated a 9.0. The problem is, I'm not sure I really like it that much any more. I bumbed it up because I have 42 plays of it in, so I must like it, right? But, I don't think it's a great game and I think I'll get bored with it and don't see me playing it much in a couple years.

So, I think some of my 8.0's might end up being more endearing. I have Metropolys and Nefertiti rated 8's and I really enjoy those games every time I play them. But, I guess if I was honest, I'd say that those are replaceable too.

But, the two that will most likely be with me the longest are Stone Age and Witch's Brew, both are fun quick games that I can see hitting the table for years to come.

Funny thing about Witch's is I played it once when it first came up and enjoyed it, but put it away and didn't think much about it. Last October it came out and I REALLY enjoyed it and think it may be hitting the table more and more often.

The is one other 2008 dark horse rated an 8.0 which is Wealth of Nations. In theory I really like this game, in practice it doesn't execute as well as I'd like.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Железный комиссар
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
d10-1 22 games, 1 expansion. My average rating for all games is 6.85. My average for 2008 is 7.09

d10-2 A good year. I measure this almost entirely on how many 9 or 10 rated games were released, which for me is 3 (Pandemic, Le Havre, Space Alert). In fact, these are all games in my top 10, which makes it the best year following 2005 (which also accounts for three of my top 10 games including numbers 1 and 2). The worst games I've played from 2008 are Stone Age, Red November, and the Drive on Metz (each rated a 5).

d10-3 Pandemic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Huber

Westborough
Massachusetts
msg tools
I've played 88 games published in 2008. And my average rating for them is 4.94, vs. my general average of around 5.5. There were more games I rate a 1 released in 2008 than in any other year ever.

The saving grace of 2008 for me was two really good games - Planet Steam and my favorite 2008 release, Le Havre. While 2009 looks better on average, it seems to have provided even fewer keepers, and no games I rate above an 8 (and only a single 8).

Right now, 2008 rates as the third worst year ever by the metric I use, ahead of 1994 and 2009, but behind every other year 1990-present. And 2009 could still pass 2008. (If I look from a percentage-of-best-total perspective, 2008 already looks worse than 2009.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1): 6 games--wow, pretty surprising for me!!!!
Battlestar Galactica: The Board Game - 1 play
Leader 1 - 1 play
Pandemic - 6 plays
Piece o' Cake - 2 plays
Sorry! Sliders - 7 plays
Sushizock im Gockelwok - 3 plays

2): I don't have the # of games and gameplays to form an educated opinion, so N/A for me on this question.

3): Hmmmmmmm......so far, it will be a tie between Sorry! Sliders which my daughter adores and Sushizock im Gockelwok (which she doesn't!).......although, for me personally, I would pick Sushizock im Gockelwok - lots of fun in a quick and small package.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, that was 'fun'

Games and expansions from 2009 played and rated was 23 with and average of 6.5

Games and expansions from 2008 played and rated was 74 with and average of 6.44

So, much fewer in 2009, but about the same experience
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
For me 2008 was a very good year, but none of the games were rated "9" or "10," so it wasn't the best year I've seen (that honor would go to 2004 or 2005).

Overall I played 26 2008 games including expansions.
Absolute favorite is tough, there is such a strong pool of "8"s. I'll have to give the nod to
Nefertiti

But, very close runner-ups are:
Dixit
Galactic Emperor
Leader 1
Pandemic
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
We always have time for the things we put first.
mbmbmbmbmb
Pandemic and Stone Age, hard to choose.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
Warriors of God
Pursuit of Glory
Unhappy King Charles!
Successors (third edition)
Pacific Typhoon
and finally, Pandemic.

Fine games, all of 'em.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Peters
United States
Belmont
California
flag msg tools
Powers:Coleridge:Milton: Faith...must be, if anything, a clear-eyed recognition of the patterns and tendencies, to be found in every piece of the world's fabric, which are the lineaments of God.
badge
That's Tim Powers' fictional Samuel Coleridge "quoting" John Milton in _The Anubis Gates_.
mbmbmbmbmb
Sixty games played from 2008. Le Havre the clear favourite, though I've enjoyed the first RftG expansion, too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Leveille
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
Get your game on!
badge
You know you want to play with purple, don't you?
mbmbmbmbmb
d10-1 I've played 45 games from 2008, so I think that qualifies me pretty well to figure on what kind of year it was.
d10-2 Well, it was 10 out of 13 of the past 13 years for me on average rating, and it came in at 6.72, under my 13-year average of 6.79, so it was a pretty mediocre year overall.
d10-3 Of games I rate over an 8.5, there were only 6, and in order they are:
Le Havre
Manoeuvre
Chicago Express
The Climbers
Nefertiti
Giants
Le Havre is my all-time favorite game, so that does bump the year up a little bit, but there just wasn't that much else to write home about. In my opinion, 2006 was probably the best year, but maybe that's because it was the year before I seriously started gaming.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arden Nelson Jr.
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For me Monsterpocalypse is my favorite game that first came out in 2008. I can thank the Into the Gamescape podcast for making it sound interesting enough that I tried it and came to find it is one of my all time favorite games. I have a group that plays regularly at my church and now go to meetups at a store on the other side of town. I've even starting hosting tournaments at my church.

Another that I really like from that year is Prussian Rails though it hasn't been played quite as much. I enjoy it and hope to play with more than 3 players someday to see how it is different with more players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wolfe
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Zendo fan, Columbus Blue Jackets fan, Dominion Fan.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1. By my count, 28. It was harder with Friendless's site being down, but then again, Friendless's site counts expansions which would have sent the number over 30.

2. Very good year. Lots of good games. I couldn't bring myself to say, "Best ever," but I'd be hard pressed to name a better year.

3. Dominion, of course. In two years, it's become my most logged game. It currently barely edges out Zendo, but at this rate it will be miles ahead by the end of 2010.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.