The Isle of Doctor Necreaux» Forums » Rules

Subject: Item card limit? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Fivepast
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm halfway through playing my first solo one-character game and have a couple of questions.

I drew the Psychic Blaster character card, which seems very powerful, using one charge to roll an automatic six in combat, which instantly defeats one monster per turn (assuming that there aren't more powerful monsters I haven't seen yet). I also drew the Stone Cold Killer, who adds 2 to the combat roll. Both add a charge at the beginning of each turn. The upshot is that I seem to be steamrolling the monsters. Am I doing something wrong or did I just pick an unusually powerful character combination?

If I have enough charges can I activate more than one ability on a character card at the same time?

The other issue is that I've already accumulated six different item cards and I'm finding it a little difficult to keep track of their various effects. Is there a limit to the number of items a team member can carry?

On a separate note, did the designer draw any inspiration from the old GW game Chainsaw Warrior?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Leistiko
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fivepast wrote:
I'm halfway through playing my first solo one-character game and have a couple of questions.

Hello Norm! Thanks for taking the time to share your questions with us. Let's see if I can help you out...

Fivepast wrote:
I drew the Psychic Blaster character, which seems very powerful, using one charge to roll an automatic six in combat, which instantly defeats one monster per turn (assuming that there aren't more powerful monsters I haven't seen yet).

You're right. It is very powerful. There's only one Monster that it is "guaranteed" to not kill outright. However, it only works once per turn, so if you encounter multiple Monsters in a turn, you have to be a little careful...

Fivepast wrote:
I also drew the Stone Cold Killer, who adds 2 to the combat roll.

Nice combination! Very deadly in combat, as you're about to mention...

Fivepast wrote:
Both add a charge at the beginning of each turn. The upshot is that I seem to be steamrolling the monsters. Am I doing something wrong or did I just pick an unusually powerful character combination?

I'm not surprised that you're blasting through the Monsters. That's a killer combat combination. However, that also means that you only have one more Character card. If it isn't a trap-related card, you're going to have a hard time with traps. If I remember correctly, that's about 1/4th of the deck, and some of the most lethal cards are traps.

I suppose what I'm saying is that if you're crazy-strong in one area, you're likely to be weak in another and you'll have to be careful there.

Fivepast wrote:
If I have enough charges can I activate more than one ability on a character card at the same time?

Absolutely. As long as you can spend the charges, you can trigger abilities.

Fivepast wrote:
The other issue is that I've already accumulated six different item cards and I'm finding it a little difficult to keep track of their various effects. Should I have that many?

That's a lot of items - much more than a solo player usually gets - but that's probably because you're harvesting mad quantities of loot from the Monsters you've defeated.

Just to verify that you're claiming Items at the right time:

1) Do not claim items when you draw them. Put them in a "pending Item" pile.
2) Claim Items from the pending Item pile after you defeat a Monster.
3) You may claim one pending Item for every dot after a Monster's CV. After you claim Items, discard any Items remaining in the pending Item pile.
4) If you retreat from a Monster or defeat a Monster with no dots after its CV, discard all pending Items.

If you obeyed all of these rules and have accumulated six Items, then you're having a really stellar game of Doctor Necreaux. Congratulations!

Fivepast wrote:
On a separate note, did the designer draw any inspiration from the old GW game Chainsaw Warrior?

Y'know, I've never played Chainsaw Warrior. I vaguely recollect seeing an ad for it in Dragon magazine back in the 80's, but I didn't know anything at all about it mechanically when I created Doctor Necreaux. Since Doctor Necreaux's publication, I've seen several people compare Doctor Necreaux and Chainsaw Warrior, and that's fine with me.

I hope these answers are helpful. I'm curious to know what your third Character card is/was. Also, if your mission succeeds, I'd like to know by how much. Thanks for asking for clarification.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fivepast
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the very prompt reply!

Looks like I just got very lucky with the cards. I was following the item rules correctly.

My third character card was the Durable guy. I saw a few traps, but most were of the type that need a roll above the team's Speed to trigger - since my Speed was always above six they (I assumed) had no effect. Presumably there's also a few traps of the opposite type that would've caused problems for me.

I've just thought of another question - can abilities that add to a die roll be used after the die has been rolled?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Leistiko
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fivepast wrote:
Thanks for the very prompt reply!

You're welcome. I just happened to be browsing the Geek when you posted and saw the notification when I refreshed the screen.

Fivepast wrote:
Looks like I just got very lucky with the cards. I was following the item rules correctly.

Well, congratulations! I'm glad that you understood the Item rules correctly. I've known a few people to misunderstand them, so... Nifty!

Fivepast wrote:
My third character card was the Durable guy. I saw a few traps, but most were of the type that need a roll above the team's Speed to trigger - since my Speed was always above six they (I assumed) had no effect. Presumably there's also a few traps of the opposite type that would've caused problems for me.

Wow. You really did have the perfect confluence of character cards and adventure cards.

You're right that you really didn't have to roll for traps that trigger if you roll above your Speed. You're also correct to assume that there are traps that trigger when you roll below your Speed, and some of them are tremendously nasty.

Fivepast wrote:
I've just thought of another question - can abilities that add to a die roll be used after the die has been rolled?

Yes they can, unless they specify otherwise. For example, Psychic Blaster can discharge 1 to add one to any combat die roll on the team, even after the roll has been made.

Have a happy new year!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.