Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Crane
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll probably just add $10 to my GC and get Storms of Steel, but is there a family game (ideally one that can be found here: http://boardgamerevolution.com --they are down the street from me) in the $40 range that my kids and I, ages 8-13, will thoroughly enjoy? Perhaps I should break down and get The Climbers, which looks cool and has nice, chunky, colorful components.

Difficulty level: has to be played in an hour or less

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sean johnson
United States
Edinburgh
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Under the family games section of that stores website the following games stood out to me: Tobago and Hey, That's My Fish!. These are both good games that would be good for families. I personally prefer Tobago, but Hey! That's my Fish has easier rules and plays faster.

Two other recommendations that are a bit more specialized are the The Adventurers: The Temple of Chac and Formula D. These are essentially both race games. The Adventurers is a dash to get out of a temple with loot and Formula D is a really pretty, and easy racing game that uses various dice to move.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Néstor Romeral Andrés
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Let me suggest you The Aztec Market.

I'm the publisher of this game. It plays very well with 2 or 3 players, and it's perfect for 4 (2 couples). Games last no more than an hour.

I hope this helps

Cheers,

Néstor

EDIT: Added image

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur Dickie
United Kingdom
South Leverton
Nottinghamshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Probably the biggest "hit" of our Christmas was Shadow Hunters. We have 3 kids aged 10 through 14 and they all picked it up quickly. Games are short. After the first game we had a "Can we play that again?" from the kids. It's probably a lot less than $40, too.

The other "hits" were; Red November; Cave Troll; and Chaos in the Old World.

Good luck

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas
Germany
Nagold
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tobago is a great choice. At the least it looks gorgeous. I ponder a buy since I have first seen it.

But arent about all family games under 40 bucks? Except maybe that special edition Monopoly. Saw Monopoly Europe for 30 euros in our local discount store. Not a lot of games are above 30 Euros, maybe 35. Most are even under. I always recommend to looks for a SDJ nominee or winner when You are searching for a family game. Maybe in Your case too. Tobago is definitely SDJ material for the next award in my opinion. Quality production, novel mechanisms and a theme that everyone can approve of.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Crane
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gnomus wrote:
Probably the biggest "hit" of our Christmas was Shadow Hunters. We have 3 kids aged 10 through 14 and they all picked it up quickly. Games are short. After the first game we had a "Can we play that again?" from the kids. It's probably a lot less than $40, too.

Good luck

CitOW:: "Daddy, what is that map made of?"

I will check out Tobago, and Aztec Market--thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas
Germany
Nagold
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
craniac wrote:
gnomus wrote:

Good luck

Oh treasure hunting with little SUVs on a tropical island and avoiding the pirates curse - a boys dream.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Néstor Romeral Andrés
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
craniac wrote:

Glad to help! Please remember that The Aztec Market is only available on the nestorgames website or the bgg marketplace.

Cheers!

Néstor

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
cosmic encounter

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sue Hemberger

Washington
Dist of Columbia
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Witch's Brew
Finca
Stone Age
Boomtown

are among our family's most-played games. My daughter seems to prefer Cornerstone to The Climbers. I think it's because the puzzley/dexterity element comes into play more with Cornerstone. She liked her first play of Tobago and she's eager to play Shadow Hunters, so those all strike me as games with lots of gamer-kid appeal.

Now if you asked my daughter this question, I suspect she'd urge you to buy Ghost Stories which (like Climbers/Cornerstone) is probably over-budget and which I didn't recommend because we parents aren't always that eager to invest the time to play it. But YMMV, so I'll throw it in the mix as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Crane
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
smithhemb wrote:

Witch's Brew
Finca
Stone Age
Boomtown

are among our family's most-played games. My daughter seems to prefer Cornerstone to The Climbers. I think it's because the puzzley/dexterity element comes into play more with Cornerstone. She liked her first play of Tobago and she's eager to play Shadow Hunters, so those all strike me as games with lots of gamer-kid appeal.

Now if you asked my daughter this question, I suspect she'd urge you to buy Ghost Stories which (like Climbers/Cornerstone) is probably over-budget and which I didn't recommend because we parents aren't always that eager to invest the time to play it. But YMMV, so I'll throw it in the mix as well.

I will have to check out Cornerstone as well. My only experience with Ghost Stories was with a group who a)had played before and b)are much smarter than me anyway, so it wasn't all that engaging.

I've also changed my trade requests at the current math trade, so hopefully I'll end up with one of these recommendations. Cosmic Encounter keeps calling to me. I've played Shadow Hunters and I think it would be fun with five players (my five-year-old would have to play as a team) but I'll probably rent it first to be sure.

Although I am still in the market for my next family game, I went to the FLGS yesterday and they only had one copy of Storms of Steel left, and I realized (rationalization) that my kids have barely played some of the stuff I have in my closet, including TTR:Europe and Dominion. But thanks to this thread I have at least three cool-looking new games on my radar. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur Dickie
United Kingdom
South Leverton
Nottinghamshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
craniac wrote:
gnomus wrote:

Good luck

Map is made of Cardboard I think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.