Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tomas Hammar
Sweden
Gråbo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi

It was actually quite a while since I played ME primarily because of lack of opponents but also lack of time with a growing family.

This morning I read about the Boxed-Game rules when I browsed through MECCG forum posts.
http://www.guildcompanion.com/scrolls/2001/nov/var.html
(scroll down to variant 15)
This seems like a more non time consuming way to play the game in a way (not that much deck building - more about sorting out your cards to make the different draw decks ).

I think this more random way of playing the game will be better recieved by my wife (primary opponent/player) than the more thought-out-ahead-plan, you have with deck building.

This afternoon I brought forth my large collection of cards and started to sort and select... I only used cards from The Wizards, The Dragons and Dark Minions, but primarily from the wizards.

MP deck:
- One of each unique item and 2-3 of the common major items - hauberk, sword of gondolin.. Also 3-4 lesser rings.
(Not sure if the one ring should be present - hard to comeby without a tuned deck i think)

- Some gold rings to test...

- 2-3 each of the non-item misc MP-cards, reforging, rescue prisoners, etc

- One of each faction and ally (two of the non-unique allies - noble hound etc)

Playdeck:
- 3-4 of each standard combat modifyers/avoidance - block, dodge, concealment, stealth risky blow etc..

- A bit random choice of other rescource cards - Too complicated cards ditched - this is for "casual" play... Some spells and some test ring cards, musters, thourough searches etc.

- Hazard creatures - a bunch of orcs, trolls etc, bunch of undeads, some animals, one of each nazgul, balrog, shelob, some dragons.

- Other hazards - like for resources - complicated cards was not selected. But you got your standard site-attack-upgrades and hinder-movement-cards and more...

Roving Character Deck:
- One of each character I have.

Minor Items
- Minor Items in one deck for starting companies.

So, now I have one huge Play Deck... and more modest MP deck and character deck. If I put all rescources (incl MPs and characters) in one pile they are approx. the same height as the hazards.

Now I am to print the Promo map and find my Games Workshop Fellowship as pawns.

I am not sure what to do about the site deck though - Perhaps some helper list: if in this region and want to play items - this site is closest - perhaps some of the maps in the files section might help. How do you handle the site deck?

Have anybody tried this variant and want to share their experiences?

Happy New Year!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JB
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Haven't tried it, but would be interested to see how you go, I have the same problem getting the wife to play & build decks etc.
Wondering if I should just lash out & get the challenge decks.
Best of luck & Happy New Year !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomas Hammar
Sweden
Gråbo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I did some adjustments already - before I even tried to play.

- I now have mostly hazard creatures in my hazard deck. I have removed nazguls, balrog and other creatures that have next to none or no region type printed on them. Other hazards are simple cards like weariness of the heart and muster disperses and such

- In rescources, I have removed all rings and ring tests, some of the complicated information site MP-cards, some allies (with region limitations) and some other cards to make a nice balance.

The removed cards are now in an advanced pile, to be added when the basics are clear.

In answer to the challenge decks - If you have some cards already - you could build the decks or similar yourself. I have an old wizards companion with three or four decks listed in them - all of them quite good if I remember it correctly. I could scan the deck list if interested. Other suggestion might be to roam mecc sites to find deck suggestions.

What I was afraid of with preconstructed decks is that you have to know the deck to play it right. With random "simple" cards, you don't. An easy and fun way to learn was my thought.

If I ever get to play my boxed game (hope I do) I will get back here and let you know how it went.

/Tomas

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wiedewiet
Netherlands
Tilburg
Noord-Brabant
flag msg tools
Training field technicians at trade school level
badge
“The moment you doubt whether you can fly, you cease for ever to be able to do it."
mbmbmbmbmb
This type of game has evolved a bit since the BoxedGame rules you have found were put on that website. These days there is the Arda Game, which is the continuation of this project.

Read more about it here:
http://www.councilofelrond.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=37&sid=...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomas Hammar
Sweden
Gråbo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice! Thanks! I will check it up! Seems like I have to register to see the rules file. Waiting for an admin mail...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wiedewiet
Netherlands
Tilburg
Noord-Brabant
flag msg tools
Training field technicians at trade school level
badge
“The moment you doubt whether you can fly, you cease for ever to be able to do it."
mbmbmbmbmb
Anyone interested in MECCG should register @ Council of Elrond
If it takes too long you can PM me your email adress, and I'll email you the file.
thx for the GeekGold!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomas Hammar
Sweden
Gråbo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No problem - I got the email and I now have the file. Thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles
United States
Gig Harbor
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
Also see:

"My Private Arda Solo Variant" in this Variant forum and watch the posted videos as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.