Popular Tags: [View All]
Jon W
United States
Aurora
CO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've updated the wiki information above, but here is the URL: http://www.mediafire.com/?4jmyvtu52nd. It's again too big (apparently) to upload to the main Vassal site, so we're stuck with mediafire.

Changes:
1. Removed Uncatchable if either Buddhist Temple or Pavilion is not in play.
2. Added the entire White Moon expansion.

As before, select any and all options before setting up the board and ghost deck. I was pleased to get most if not all of the White Moon ghost and villager effects automated. You will have to deal with some stacking and tile flipping, as I wanted the number of villagers on each tile to never be ambiguous, but also didn't want accidental exposure of hidden information. The latter is still possible if you're sloppy with the stacks (you can flip a whole stack at once under some conditions), but this was the best compromise I could find. Open to suggestions.

Anyway, enjoy! And of course let me know if something doesn't seem right. I tested some samples, but there's so many moving parts that I'm sure something was overlooked.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon W
United States
Aurora
CO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
redstar2800 wrote:
Good job! Thanks for all your hard work

You're very welcome, glad you are playing it! Very cool game. And it's not only, or even mostly, my hard work, but the work of David Neumann (user neumannium) on the original mod.

I've already found a few things I wish were different in this module, so I'll likely just build a new one over the next few weeks with some tweaking. Let me know if you find things that could be better and I'll try to squeeze them in. Still unhappy with the villager stacking, but can't find a good solution! angry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon W
United States
Aurora
CO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
redstar2800 wrote:
I did find one thing with the original mod though (not sure if it was fixed in the new one) or if I'm playing the game wrong maybe. But if you got a ghost which caused Tao tokens to be unable to be used, you couldn't remove them from the monks while this was the case.

Yes, good call. I'll fix that; it's not too hard at all.

Quote:
Also I still allowed monks to gain Tao tokens while this effect was in play (they just couldn't spend them). Hope this is the way it is meant to be?

Yes, you played it right.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon W
United States
Aurora
CO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I've fixed/improved a few things. I guess I jumped the gun a bit, but I wanted to get White Moon out there ASAP, so the implementation was a bit dodgy. The improvements that will be in 1.14 so far:

1. Face-down villagers accidentally "jostled" (stacks in vassal can be tricky) will not reveal their name.
2. Flipping artifacts to their icon side is fixed.
3. Artifacts now have help text when initially placed, and/or when discarded for use.
4. Moon Crystals and Su-Ling look a bit nicer (I'm a Gimp gimp).
5. Moon Crystal usage is logged more clearly.
6. Per request above, Inactive Tao (from Black Widow and Dark Mistress) now allow you to discard them; you have to right-click and "override" while they're blocked from "normal use".
7. Shield of Time's effect is now automated (once it's in play, new ghosts can be put back to bottom of deck, if appropriate).
8. The top villager of each stack after the deal is now flipped face-up (so you don't have to do it manually).
9. You have the option to place the Portal in the Middle, Edge, or Corner, and it randomizes the placement. This was a bit tricky!

Let me know if you see other things. I'll leave this open for a few days, and then post 1.14 if I don't hear from anyone. Enjoy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon W
United States
Aurora
CO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I added the URL for 1.14 to the wiki. Added changes above plus some file size reduction, and fixed a bug with resurrecting villagers when Cemetery isn't in play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Blakely
msg tools
mbmb
Is this the same module that is at version 1.17 on teh Vassal website?

If so, I have had a couple of problems in re-loading saved games:

1) Buddahs don't show up where they were.
2) Red Monk doesn't appear anywhere on the board.

One observation I would like to make is that I wish there was some "safety" to remind you to increment the turn and/or a way to specify which color starts and have it automatically track whose turn it is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon W
United States
Aurora
CO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Major SNAFU wrote:
Is this the same module that is at version 1.17 on teh Vassal website?

Yes (but 1.17 is the latest; I posted an updated thread here as well with that info and a link).

Quote:
If so, I have had a couple of problems in re-loading saved games:

1) Buddahs don't show up where they were.
2) Red Monk doesn't appear anywhere on the board.

That is weird. Curious: are you saving games (vsav files) or logging them and then replaying the log to get back to where you were (vlog files)? The latter is the preferred method. I've always had trouble with vsav files, but I've never tried to figure out why.

Quote:
One observation I would like to make is that I wish there was some "safety" to remind you to increment the turn and/or a way to specify which color starts and have it automatically track whose turn it is.

Agreed. I tried once to implement something along these lines, and it was harder than expected, as there are a lot of different ways a turn can go. If you have ideas on how it might work, I'm open to trying again.

One thing I settled on early is just going with the top board as Turn 1 (sort of like a clock, start at 12 and go around). It's randomized, so you can't bias it one way or another, even without intending to.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Blakely
msg tools
mbmb
Hi JW,

Thanks for the response. THanks for making the module as I love this game and play it frequently when I am travelling.

I have been using the vsav, not the logs - so I will try the other way. Thanks for the tip.

As far as turn order goes, what I have been doing is using one of the haunter pieces to mark the current players turn. While it doesn't happen as much as it used to, I still for get to increment the turn sometimes and have to undue the steps to get back to where I belong.

Is there a way for the user to specify which position goes first (top, bottom, left or right) and then have a highlight border around the player mat whose turn it is? Then when you click the turn button, it moves to the next person clock-wise.

I had thought about making the draw deck inaccessible until you increment the turn - but then you would have to have a way to toggle it back and forth depending on actions taken or if a card was draw/power activated that caused a new ghost to be drawn. That would be the most intuitive and take the load off of the user, but my programmign skills are pretty rusty and I don't know if this kind of complexity is availabel in the Vassal engine.

I know that CCA is able to determine if moves are legal, etc. So there must be some kind of ability to check what is happening on the board.

Last question:

Is it possible to arrange the village tiles manually in the module before a game starts? I would like the ability to be able to try different arangements based on ideas I see in the forums.

Thanks,

SNAFU

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon W
United States
Aurora
CO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Major SNAFU wrote:
THanks for making the module as I love this game and play it frequently when I am travelling.

You're welcome, but the original mod was done by

David Neumann
United States
Whitefish Bay
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
In life you have to do a lot of things you don't f*cking want to do. Many times, that's what the f*ck life is... one vile f*cking task after another.
mb

I just added some bells and whistles, such as the expansions.

Quote:
Is there a way for the user to specify which position goes first (top, bottom, left or right) and then have a highlight border around the player mat whose turn it is? Then when you click the turn button, it moves to the next person clock-wise.

That could be done. I'll look into it next week. What I do is just always start at the top and then use the modulo of 4 to figure out the turn if I'm lost. But it is a bit more work than necessary.

Quote:
I know that CCA is able to determine if moves are legal, etc. So there must be some kind of ability to check what is happening on the board.

Yes, but this would be a serious PITA to implement in vassal. It's just not set up for this (if you're curious, just spend a few minutes looking under the hood at how the "logic" works; it's not like normal programming much at all).

Quote:
Is it possible to arrange the village tiles manually in the module before a game starts? I would like the ability to be able to try different arangements based on ideas I see in the forums.

Yeah, that's a good idea. I'm thinking a toggle somewhere at this point....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Blakely
msg tools
mbmb
Thanks for looking into it. I will check out the logic scripting.

Thanks also to Mr. Neumann for this module as well.

Cheers,

SNAFU

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon W
United States
Aurora
CO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, some progress, and some challenges.

Here's what highlighting looks like. You pick the starting spot (in this case, the bottom)....

...then when you log the next turn, it advances. What you had in mind?

I don't like my implementation, though, as it creates too many keystrokes. Which only matters in the case of an "undo," but that happens a lot (oops, forgot to do X before my turn ended). So I'll rethink it, but it'll be in 1.18.

The other requests (strict enforcement, non-random setup) are more difficult. The first is a non-starter, at least for me. Just too much work, unless I wanted to go the Java class route, but I don't.

The second seems easier, but under the hood it's invasive. I'm already adding one more required hoop (if you use the turn button, you have to pick the starting player), but for this work right, I'd have to split up and redo the setup functions, and then add either more stuff under the already long "options" menu, or have more scenarios (3p auto, 3p manual, etc.). The simplest thing to do is to just make the tiles movable, but then the logging goes haywire (it catalogs the tile name by location after the initial "deal", so you'd have to re-initiate that after making the changes; not impossible, just clunky).

Anyway, just wanted to post an update on this. At this point, I'm inclined to streamline the highlighting and call it good. Though there is one more little bug (one of the artifact's logging, IIRC) that needs fixing in 1.18. Open to ideas/suggestions (though clearly I'm reserving the right to reject them; wish I was smarter, but I can't see a way around these issues). soblue

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon W
United States
Aurora
CO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just FYI, I added the URL for 1.18 in the main game page area. I added Jean Claude Van Rice and the highlighting mentioned above. I finally got back around to it and figured out a better way to do it without excessive keystrokes (almost none). Transparency is your friend in VASSAL.

Hope you like it; let me know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonan Jello
United States
Newark
California
flag msg tools
badge
♪ I'll mourn over the marble steps ♬ Junkies of the world lay across the monuments ♫ I climb and blister on the mount ♪ Drunks take a piss where heroes once bled out ♪ ♫
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Jon, thanks for these updates to the Ghost Stories Vassal module!
Question: how do you 'log a turn'?
I was typing out turns so I wouldn't forget where/who I was during a game.
Thanks, Jon!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon W
United States
Aurora
CO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Make sure you're using the latest version (1.18). If you hit the "log turn" button (on the top; make sure the game board window isn't covering it), it advances the "highlighted" board, and gives a short text reminder about what turn you're on.

I've found that helps a lot during solo play. But it isn't really fully automated, so you can still forget some things.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♫ Eric Herman ♫
United States
West Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I like elephants. I like how they swing through trees.
mbmbmbmbmb
Anybody have plans to add Black Secret to the GS module? I've had that for months now but still haven't gotten it played yet... the Vassal module would seem an ideal way to do that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon W
United States
Aurora
CO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Grudunza wrote:
Anybody have plans to add Black Secret to the GS module? I've had that for months now but still haven't gotten it played yet... the Vassal module would seem an ideal way to do that.

I haven't picked up Black Secret yet, because I basically play this as a solo game only, and it (apparently) offers nothing for the "normal" game. But it's been tempting me, if only for the sake of completeness and to support Bauza.

If I pick it up (probably this summer sometime), I promise I'll look at the viability of adding it to the Vassal mod. Meantime, anyone else is certainly welcome to pick up the torch!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.