Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alessandro Trovato
Italy
Rome
ITALY
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Hello, any comment about how this game is for 2 Players?

Alex

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wulf Corbett
Scotland
Shotts
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Fine. Lets you concentrate more on exploration and less on conflict. Unfortunately, we always reach the victory conditions before we have an opportunity to go for South America.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Fredericks
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is some nice tension between both players as both starting islands start right next to each other

You explore a lot more, but you are always worrying aboutyour opponent stabbing you in the back
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wulf Corbett
Scotland
Shotts
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, I should have said it allows more exploration than conflict - it doesn't force it! angry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I only played it 2 player but we had a blast.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Entner
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It works well, but the player interactions are different than for three player (I haven't had the chance to play with four yet). Rather than the two trailers ganging up on the leader (while keeping a wary eye on each other), you only have to worry about one opponent. I got a chance to play with a friend on New Year's eve: I was not having much luck exploring, was trailing slightly, and so was considering my options. One was to attack the on-map island groups (Fiji etc.), which in a three player game is a good idea if you don't want to start a debilitating war between two players and allow the other to win (I've won a couple this way -- by being the "neutral" third empire). However, with only two players, you might as well spend your military resources attacking him, not the other island groups. So in this case I wanted to disrupt his development, so I conducted an attack on a small island within range that would also interrupt his trade links. This escalated into a major war, with both Tonga and Samoa being nearly wiped out: he left Tonga depopulated while I surrendered a warrior to keep Samoa occupied, and then recolonized Tonga. When the dust settled from all of that, we were both down in VPs, but I was now clearly in the lead (and controlled both Tonga and Samoa), and ended up winning. I think there were two keys to this: 1) strategic depth -- having an A&C card that allowed my canoes to move three, giving me better reach to attack, and the rest of my islands being further back and thus mostly out of his reach; and 2) timing -- if I had left it a few more turns and then tried to stop or disrupt him, I may not have been able to do so, but I needed enough development on islands other than Tonga to keep my empire going even with the loss of the home island and its four villages.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.