SAKURA in KYOTO 2018 Back to Kansai
England
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I know some of you will struggle with this concept, so here's a brief explanation.

We take a song - the one song referred to in the title - then the tune of this first or one song is dispensed with, retaining only the words, so one song actually means one set of words. Now, a set of words to a song without a tune is no good to anyone, so replacement music is required, which is where the second song comes in. I see you’re scratching your heads. Well, that’s what the word 'another' alludes to. Song two, or 'another' as we know it, is already equipped with its own set of words so what we do is pretend that it’s an instrumental.

In other words, another song with only a tune to which one song with only words can be sung. And there it is in a nutshell.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
I always thought that "Girlfriend in a Coma" was sort of already like this - it was a weirdly upbeat song for the lyrics.

So are you one of those guys singing?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SAKURA in KYOTO 2018 Back to Kansai
England
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wmshub wrote:
So are you one of those guys singing?

shake

Amy will explain it to you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Klinck
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One of the classics for this is "Gilligan's Island" sung to the tune of "Amazing Grace" (or vice-versa).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I awoke this morning to the first wet dream I've experienced in years. I've really got to get this old bladder-infected cat to the vet.
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I think that all right-thinking people in this country are sick and tired of being told that ordinary, decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am.
mbmbmbmbmb
Back in my college days in the late '70s, I was a member of "The King's Players", a group of amatuer thespians who went to churches around the state performing humorous skits with a Christian message.

One of the skits we did was just for fun and included audience participation: We'd have an "MC" who would get a volunteer up on the stage and one of the other guys would play a song on his guitar, with the rest of us humming along trying to make the song as obvious as possible to the "contestant". We'd let them guess until they got the tune right, but then the MC would say, "No, I'm sorry, the song was actually Amazing Grace", and then we'd proceed to sing the words of Amazing Grace to the tune of whatever the song really was.

I remember we had a list of over 30 different well-known songs that had the same meter as Amazing Grace, including Supercalifragilisticexpealidocious, America the Beautiful, Love Me Tender, and a whole bunch of others.

Of course, if the contestant ever actually caught on and said the tune was Amazing Grace, the MC would say "No, I'm sorry, but that was actually..." and name the real song, and we'd all sing a short bit of it. But we made sure the person got a nice round of applause "even though he/she didn't win the fabulous prize."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Amstutz
United States
Chula Vista
California
flag msg tools
All I want to do when i wake up in the morning is see your eyes. Roseanna, Roseanna. I never thought a girl like you could ever care for me.
badge
Just got back from the down town Palais where the music was so sweet it knocked me right back in the alley, I'm ready. Yea, yea, yea, I'm ready. Wo, Wo, wo, I'm ready, and I'm really gonna rock tonight.
mbmbmbmbmb
This is very common in early Christian music. Most hymns of the early church were wrtiiten in the same meter, and could be sung to a few basic tunes, so they could be freely interchanged. A prime example being "Oh, For a Thousand Tongues" and "Amazing Grace". It is only in the later times that certain lyrics became associated with certain tunes.

Oh, and for my favorite - "Gilligan's Island" sung to the tune of "Stairway to Heaven" - heard at Magic Mountain
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgan Dontanville
United States
Charlottesville
VA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Plate of Shrimp.
badge
Here we are folks, the dream we all dream of.
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.