Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
W. Tan
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a decent addition to the Shadows over Camelot franchise. As painted miniatures are the crux of this product, I will review the quality of the paint jobs and miniatures themselves, and the price charged to the consumer (as opposed to what should / should not have been included, etc.)

It should be noted that the miniatures are plastic, not pewter. On average, plastic miniatures hold less detail and are more fragile compared to pewter miniatures. However, they also cost a lot less to produce (more on this later).

The paint jobs are of below-average (though not terrible) quality. They are on par with the Mage Knight and HeroClix line of miniatures, and inferior to the Tannhauser line (which has some of the best non-commissioned paint jobs). If I had to guess, the painters were paid by the figure (as opposed to quality), given no training, and had no prior painting experience. The finer touches - dry-brushing raised areas, ink-washing recessed areas, and highlighting, are minimal to non-existent. Finally, a glossy varnish has been applied to protect the miniatures. A hobbyist would probably apply a less shiny varnish so the figures look less cheap.

That said, it is probably not as profitable for Days of Wonder to double / triple the price of the product to improve the quality of the paint jobs or miniatures. Why not? Shadows is not a miniature-based war game (unlike HeroClix, Tannhauser, etc.) The miniatures are placeholders for the knights' locations during the game. This product adds a bit more atmosphere by providing players with painted lumps of plastic (in lieu of gray lumps of plastic) to move around during the game. I think DoW made the right decision to skimp on the paint jobs and miniature quality in order to charge $20 (as opposed to $40 or even $60) for the product. I, for one, would not be willing to pay that much for a slightly better set of miniatures.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Team Ski
United States
Dover
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
CHOMP!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: SoC: Company of Knights review
My issue with the set is the fact that what is on the box is not what you get in the box. The superior paint jobs on the cover are misleading. I bought the set thinking that I was getting a really well painted group of figures. These aren't even close.

-Ski
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W. Tan
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: SoC: Company of Knights review
I agree, the figures are worse than expected. I did not think they would be painted to the standard of the ones on the cover, but still expected something more than what I got. Still, for $20, I can't complain too much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.