Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Todd Reed
United States
Clayton
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A couple questions concerning Anzio - is there another version coming out, with maps, rules, counters, etc? Or, is Tom just updating the rules for those who already own the game?
Second question, is there a different Italian campaign game that people prefer or that is currently in print?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G. Harding Warren
United States
Arnold
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

In response to the second question, I must say that having read the various boards for a while now, I do not think that any other Italian Campaign game gets as much love as Anzio. I truly do not believe that I have seen anyone say that they've played something better. I came late to Anzio--it was one of the few Avalon Hill games that I did not purchase back in the day which I have only discovered through the wonders of ebay. I really like the premium that it puts on holding key crossroads, mountain passes, etc. In that way it actually reminds me a bit of my other favorite, GCACW. If you like old school games and have fun creating elegant defenses (and ways to elegantly breach same), Anzio really has no rival.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MacGilleEathain
United States
Clinton
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Having played Anzio right through all its editions, I couldn't have put it better. Although I have carefully cobbled together the current set, complete with "toe" and Sicily, I do hope a definitive boxed edition is published someday before I get too old and blind to play any longer.

mac
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Reed
United States
Clayton
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can you explain what makes up your "cobbled" together version?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MacGilleEathain
United States
Clinton
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mojayhawk wrote:
Can you explain what makes up your "cobbled" together version?

Pieced together from the as yet not professionally published materials posted to this site and elsewhere. The core component of which being the "Italia" map. I acquired my copy of that via GMT Games' "C3i Immortals" sign-up drive a few years back (a map was given as a bonus to all comers while supplies lasted).

Most of what you need is here now - not sure about the Corsica/Sardinia extension map, but I think there's a link to that in one of the messages in the Anzio folder over at ConsimWorld.

mac
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles McLellan
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
When I put together the maps for the VASSAL module, I suggested adding Corsica and most of Sardinia and some of the French coast on the resulting rectangular composite map. However, that suggestion was turned down probably because of the extra rules and such that would be required to integrate those additional areas.

So instead, the VASSAL map has turn tracks and storage boxes in that large empty area.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.