Martin Manning
Australia
Adelaide
South Australia
flag msg tools
designer
err... I like boardgames!?!
badge
D'oh! I bought overtext even though I have nothing interesting to say.
mbmbmbmbmb
A couple of days before Christmas I got a package from Mayday games with a whole lot of card sleeves that I ordered - including 30 packs of the Euro sized sleeves (59mm x 92mm MDG-7028). I've been trying to use these to sleeve some new games - Agricola: Farmers of the Moor, Dominion: Seaside, and A Castle for All Seasons. As it turns out, these sleeves are a fraction too narrow. There's a bit of variation in the width, ranging from sleeves that are totally unusable, to sleeves that only just fit the cards, noticeably bending them.

I'm not intending to criticize Mayday games here - I've emailed their customer service, and it's too early to have received a response yet. But while I'm waiting, I've been thinking. I suspect it would only be the latest batch that is affected - I had a few packs left over from a previous order that fit just fne, but I'm wondering if anyone else has had this problem - could it be that the whole batch is defective, or have I just been unlucky?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Johnson
United States
Boonville
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ludopoly wrote:
A couple of days before Christmas I got a package from Mayday games with a whole lot of card sleeves that I ordered - including 30 packs of the Euro sized sleeves (59mm x 92mm MDG-7028). I've been trying to use these to sleeve some new games - Agricola: Farmers of the Moor, Dominion: Seaside, and A Castle for All Seasons. As it turns out, these sleeves are a fraction too narrow. There's a bit of variation in the width, ranging from sleeves that are totally unusable, to sleeves that only just fit the cards, noticeably bending them.

I'm not intending to criticize Mayday games here - I've emailed their customer service, and it's too early to have received a response yet. But while I'm waiting, I've been thinking. I suspect it would only be the latest batch that is affected - I had a few packs left over from a previous order that fit just fne, but I'm wondering if anyone else has had this problem - could it be that the whole batch is defective, or have I just been unlucky?

I had a similar experience with some sleeves that I received in early December. I ended up throwing away up to 20% of each pack, which were tight enough as to visibly bend the cards, as you say. The remaining 80% ranged from just fine to snug, but acceptable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
cakeball sally
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yup, I had problems with some I got a couple of weeks ago. In both packs I've used so far some fit great, some were way too narrow, and some sort of fit but bent the cards. It was my first time sleeving anything and it made me a bit batty, but I had plenty of extras so I just rolled with it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristi S
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had the same problem with some of their premium Euro sleeves I received Nov 27th. I got the range from "card slides in easy, nice fit" to "card slides in with some struggle, a smidge too tight" to "card doesn't fit at all." IIRC, most fell in the middle range, so putting the Dominion cards in the sleeves was a major pain and I still haven't finished the process, despite receiving the sleeves over a month ago. Now that I see others have had the same problem could it be a bad batch? If the cards are supposed to slide in easy then maybe so.

I've never had this problem with sleeves I buy for Magic the Gathering cards, and I've used well over a thousand of those sleeves over the years using various brands (Ultra Pro, Player's Choice, Max Protection, Dragon Shield).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mayday Games
United States
Layton
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If anyone has any problems at all with sleeves please email us directly at maydaygames@gmail.com and we will get you replacements for the ones that were too narrow. It appears about 3% of our last batch were slightly to narrow based on what we've seen. We are sorry for the trouble and will send out replacements with the latest batch due in early next week

Please be a bit patient with us this week as we are getting caught up from Christmas break and shipping a lot of new product too!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Manning
Australia
Adelaide
South Australia
flag msg tools
designer
err... I like boardgames!?!
badge
D'oh! I bought overtext even though I have nothing interesting to say.
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the heads up Seth, and I'm glad you've confirmed there was a problem with the batch, and I'm not going mad (which was more or less the purpose of this thread). And as I said above, I wasn't expecting a response anytime soon, given that I know what the post-holiday rush is like, so I hope you didn't view any of this as a criticsm.

Cheers,
Martin.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mayday Games
United States
Layton
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No problem at all, just letting anyone else know to give us a heads up to correct it if there are others out there with this problem. It has been corrected on the new batch that will be in next week.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christen
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I had the opposite problem with mine. I got the regular Euro, ordered in October I believe, that were quite noticeably too wide. I ordered 15 packs and at least 3 were unusable due to to the size difference between sleeves. I was a bit annoyed but never contacted Mayday Games. When playing a game like Dominion and there are a few cards with sleeves that are too big while others fit, they stick out like a sore thumb. I got everything sleeved that I needed sleeved, but it makes me hesitant to order their sleeves again, even though I'm super happy with the sleeves that worked.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mayday Games
United States
Layton
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We've contacted the factory about this and it looks like about 2% of the last batch were slightly too narrow. We have geekmailed all of you, please contact us via geekmail or email to maydaygames@gmail.com and let us know how many packs you need replaced and your address so we can get them sent out ASAP.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.