Which One to get

Games which I already have and like a lot:
Agricola
Puerto Rico
Through the ages: a story of civ.
Napoleon's triumph
Tigris & Euphates
Struggle Of empires
(Generally games with a small luck factor, HISTORICAL, with a lot of complexity and replayablility. I LOVE civ games ,to, but don't like card games as much)

Which game fits the categories most, while being different from the ones I aleadry have (Or some other suggestions)???

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Plumley
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Twilight Struggle. Twilight Struggle.

Twilight Struggle.

Twilight Struggle. Twilight Struggle. Twilight Struggle. Twilight Struggle. Twilight Struggle. Twilight Struggle. Twilight Struggle. Twilight Struggle. Twilight Struggle. Twilight Struggle. Twilight Struggle.

Twilight Struggle. Twilight Struggle. Twilight Struggle.

All that being said, Twilight Struggle.

Brass is fun, too. Still though. Twilight Struggle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jörgen Olsson
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TS is strictly 2 player. Brass has its sweet spot at 3 imho. I haven't gotten Maria to the table yet but it's also 3 player.

TS is card-driven, which you said you didn't like that much. What you can do on your turn is pretty much dictated by the cards you draw, and sometimes you have to play cards that screw yourself over.

Brass has cards too, but there's no text there. It's "either build anything in a specific town" or "build a specific building anywhere you are connected to".

I've only played TS once. I understand that both players have to know all cards that exist for the game to get that huge tension, so I'm not going to say that I didn't like it based on one play. It does however present a huge obstacle before being able to enjoy the game in full.

Brass is one of the favourites in my gaming group (along with Through the Ages).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus Hagenauer jr.
Germany
Surheim
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I´d recommend Brass.
The luck factor is very smal, the cards are often just used to count the rounds, so it does mot matter that much, if you draw lucky.
Its a very komplex game and has more interaction than Agricola for example, because you can / have to use tracks and resources from other players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Appleton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
henpen wrote:
Which One to get

(Generally games with a small luck factor, HISTORICAL, with a lot of complexity and replayablility. I LOVE civ games ,to, but don't like card games as much)

Which game fits the categories most, while being different from the ones I aleadry have (Or some other suggestions)???

We just bought Twilight Struggle (Deluxe Edition) and are amazed at its historical basis and theme. It also has quite a variety of directions to go. The luck factor from the cards is mitigated by the fact that you will see all the cards in a game, one way or another. For 2-players, I would suggest Twilight Struggle. For more than 2, I would go with Here I Stand, another GMT game oozing history, theme, and complexity (3 or 6 players).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scotty Dickey
United States
Brandon
Mississippi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been playing a lot of Brass by email. Follow this link to a great online implementation of the game:

http://wargamessoc.union.shef.ac.uk/brass/index.php

You might want to try it out there first. By the way, let me know if you want in on a 'learning game'. I've been using this website to teach several of my friends and family members to play the game. I'd be happy to add you into the mix.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
EGG Head
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Haven't played Maria but I really like TS and Brass. If you have 2 players I'd go for TS-card driven but terribly interesting to play. It's good enough that even my friends that aren't partial to long games have picked up copies. Brass is also great for 3 or 4 although it plays fairly decently with 2 as well another of my favs. Also a bit card driven. Don't think you could go wrong with either. Edit: also recommend trying Brass on line-I play a lot of open games there same user name

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Doherty
United States
McKinney
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Brass

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
McDog
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you mostly play 2 player then Twilight Struggle. Brass is the better choice if you play 2-4 players. The 2 player variant works quite well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kendahl Johnson
United States
Syracuse
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Surprised that no one has mentioned it yet, but why not just buy all three?

I think a game you'd like is Antike.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
Snake? What happened? Snake! Snaaaaaake!
badge
Your eyebrows won't save you now.
mbmbmbmbmb
Haven't played Maria, but it sounds like you'd like either TS or Brass. Both will seem to be driven by ``luck of the draw,'' in both games this feeling will evaporate after enough plays. That said you should try out Brass online (see previous posters). Most online players will probably advocate the 4p version, many face to face players will advocate 3p or 2p since it increases the number of decisions you'll have to make (there will be four more rounds of play than in the 4p) and dramatically decreases time between player turns.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Robinson
Canada
Timmins
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've never played Brass myself, but of the three it seems the best fit with your stated preferences. If you're intrigued by Twilight Struggle, there are a number of online venues where you could try the game before you decide on a purchase.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Todd
United States
Bloomington
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played Maria twice, both with three players. The game is beautifully designed for three. I own, but haven't yet played, Twilight Struggle.

If you're looking for a wargame that you'll primarily play with three and occasionally play with two, then I would recommend Maria. There probably isn't a better three player wargame (or possibly three player game period) in it's weight and duration. That said, if you're rarely going to play with more than two, Twilight Struggle is probably the better choice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Woods
Canada
Halifax
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Twilight Struggle: Deluxe Edition

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom
United States
Plainfield
ILLINOIS
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What are you waiting for you know you are going to buy both...treat yourself!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Łukasz
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
Non vi sed virtute, not armis sed arte paritur victoria.
badge
e^{i · π} + 1 = 0
mb
henpen wrote:
Which One to get

Get them all, I mean it. You'll enjoy them all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
By the way I am getting this off my parents money and they would be annoyed if I asked for lots just after Xmas

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristof Bodric
Serbia
Novi Sad
flag msg tools
badge
And the ranger's aim was deadly with the big iron on his hip...
mbmbmbmbmb
Maria struggling with her bras in twilight?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.