Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Heritage
United Kingdom
Blandford
Dorset
flag msg tools
mb
Hi, just started playing this game and thoroughly enjoying it.

One question though that we can't seem to clarify regards rumor cards. A Rumor card has an ongoing effect, as well as pass and fail conditions. Are the pass and fail entirely independent of the ongoing effect - i.e. if the ongoing effect only occurs on a 1 or 2, can the Pass only happen when the 1 or 2 is rolled or anytime?

Sorry, I expect this is obvious but we sem to have got confused!

Another one - Mandy Thompson is allowed to reroll skills checks. Does this still apply to combat rolls against the Ancient One at the end of the game?

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Ongoing Effect: Cultists, Witches, Warlocks, and High Priests have their toughness increased by 2 while this card is in play.
Place 1 Clue token on this card at the end of every Mythos Phase (beginning the turn after it entered play).

Pass: If a single player discards 3 spell (4 if there are 5 or more players) while in the French Hill streets during the Arkham Encounter Phase, return this card to the box. Each player gains 2 Clue tokens.

Fail: If there are over 5 Clue tokens on this card, return it to the box. From now on, draw 2 mythos cards each Mythos Phase. Ignore everything on the first card except for the gate opening.

The ongoing effect occurs while the rumor is in play. It is somewhat independent of the Pass Fail conditions but it is working towards making the rumor fail. It is your time clock to get this thing passed. So in the above example, in addition to the ongoing effect, 1 Clue is getting placed on the card. If you get 5 Clues ont he card (i.e. 5 rounds of this card being in effect), then the card fails and the Fail condition is now permanently in the game So from now on, you would have 2 gates opening each round.

If you can manage to pass this thing within the 5 rounds, the rumor is discarded and the Pass condition happens. which in this case is just a reward for everyone.

2) Mandy can reroll once per round even in Final Battle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Heritage
United Kingdom
Blandford
Dorset
flag msg tools
mb
The card we had the problem with was "The Stars are right". The ongoing effect is that on a 1 or 2 a doom token is placed on the doom track. The pass condition is to discard an ally in the Downtown streets during the encounter phase.
The confusion we have is can you only discard the ally after a 1 or 2 was rolled for the ongoing effect, or anytime (i.e. on any roll)?

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jheritag wrote:
The card we had the problem with was "The Stars are right". The ongoing effect is that on a 1 or 2 a doom token is placed on the doom track. The pass condition is to discard an ally in the Downtown streets during the encounter phase.
The confusion we have is can you only discard the ally after a 1 or 2 was rolled for the ongoing effect, or anytime (i.e. on any roll)?

Thanks

They are separate. The ongoing effect, in this case the die roll takes place in the Mythos Phase (as per the wording of the card), while discarding the Ally to Pass the Rumor is done in the Arkham Encounter Phase (again, as per wording).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Heritage
United Kingdom
Blandford
Dorset
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks for the help!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fritz Mulnar
Germany
Schwanewede
not Bavaria
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
do i get the bonuses for discarding that ally?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lauren Stein
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
superjosef wrote:

No. Since you are discarding the ally to fulfill the rumor, you don't get to "double dip" and claim the bonus as well. One or the other.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fritz Mulnar
Germany
Schwanewede
not Bavaria
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
grumblegrumble. though as much, soblue

thanks anyway!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Anderson
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lflurie wrote:
superjosef wrote:

No. Since you are discarding the ally to fulfill the rumor, you don't get to "double dip" and claim the bonus as well. One or the other.
What bonus would you normally get for discarding an ally in the Downtown streets?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
puck71 wrote:
lflurie wrote:
superjosef wrote:

What bonus would you normally get for discarding an ally in the Downtown streets?

When you discard Duke, you get restored to your maximum Sanity. You can do this at anytime as long as you aren't interupting anotehr action. I forget his name, but there is the equivalent Ally that does the same for Stamina. A couple other Allies also do things upon discarding them.

But as mentioned, if you discard them for another effect, you can't take advantage of their bonus.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Anderson
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OK I wasn't sure if they were talking about Duke or some other global bonus I wasn't aware of.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Hart
Australia
Lilydale
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also remember that the other "Bonus" to a rumour is that you can only have one rumour at a time. Therefore, any particular rumour that is in effect acts as a buffer against other, worse rumours that may come along during the period which the currently in play rumour exists.

In fact there are some rumours that you can quite happily leave in existance until the very last moment, as they aren't really that bad, and protect you from the real painful ones.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Commorato
United States
Staten Island
NY
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
If the 2nd Rumor is 'ignored' do you still act upon the rest of the card? Gates? etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Anderson
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No, you draw a new card and use that one as your Mythos card. You don't get to totally skip a Mythos phase or anything like that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
puck71 wrote:
No, you draw a new card and use that one as your Mythos card. You don't get to totally skip a Mythos phase or anything like that.

This didn't sound right at all to me. And looking at the rules:

"Only one Rumor can be in play at once. If there is
already a Rumor mythos card in play, ignore the special
text of the newly drawn Rumor and discard it face down
to the bottom of the mythos deck after resolving its
other effects for the turn (such as gate opening and monster
movement)." (p. 12)

So like with Weather Mythos when Ithaqua is goo, you do parts #1-3 and discard the card instead of doing #4. Parts I'm referring to are the 4 steps for resolving a Mythos card, on page 9.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Anderson
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm, I haven't played in a while, but I thought you didn't get to miss out on a headline. Now that you mention it, I have been playing it right, but didn't remember it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Commorato
United States
Staten Island
NY
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
So you're really not drawing another Mythos card if you draw a second Rumor.
You're just ignoring the 'text' of the 2nd Rumor but still acting on everything else from the card.

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike R
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
mercom wrote:
So you're really not drawing another Mythos card if you draw a second Rumor.
You're just ignoring the 'text' of the 2nd Rumor but still acting on everything else from the card.

Yep. The one tiny benefit of having a rumor card out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Capt V
Denmark
flag msg tools
jheritag wrote:

Another one - Mandy Thompson is allowed to reroll skills checks. Does this still apply to combat rolls against the Ancient One at the end of the game?

Thanks

Mandy is even better than this, she rerolls the failed dices only and keeps the succeses of the roll.

Any Phase: Once per turn, Mandy can activate this ability after any investigator (including herself) makes a skill check. That investigator then re-rolls all of the dice rolled for that check that did not result in successes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.