J. Jefferson
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey! That's My Fish! Is one of those rare gems that is fun for gamers, and is also great for kids and non-gamers. It's got a fun strategy that ensures that adults and gamers have fun while allowing kids and non-gamers to keep up easily. This ease of play does make the game somewhat one-dimensional, but this isn't meant to be an extremely serious game. It is light and fun.

The recommended ages are 8 and up, and I think that's about right. The deluxe version with the plastic penguins is a big hit, the penguins have attitude and several different funny positions. We were having fun from the moment we first started to open the box.

The basic goal is to accumulate the most fish. You do this by moving your penguins around the ice flow, removing individual pieces of ice and fish as you go. The basic strategy is one of securing an area for your own plundering. Oftentimes, the player who can quietly eat up a bunch of fish while others fight over an ever shrinking area is the winner.

The rules are really easy. Each turn, you move one penguin in a straight line, and pick up the ice flow on which the penguin started. The setup is easy, even though it takes a minute to line up all of the ice flows. This is a task with which kids can help, and doesn't really take that much time. It is nice that the precise shape of the ice flow doesn't really matter.

The game takes about five minutes to learn and set up, and about fifteen minutes to play. This too is about right for kids.

This is the type of game that I will take on vacation, and bring out with my neices and nephews. I probably won't pull it off the shelf too often at home. Though it's fun, it is one dimensional, and it's really not to often that I am looking to play a game that takes such a brief amount of time to play. But for the simple type of game that it is, it is great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Nomad
Netherlands
Den Bosch
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Vacation is right: we take our copy with us in a drawstring dice bag.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kate McEvoy
msg tools
Not so sure about the set-up to play time ratio - 5 minutes set up for a 10-15 minute game feels a bit long to me. This got played a bit when we first had it (with a 12 year old & a 7 year old), but its sat in the cupboard for a long while now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
Glory to Rome!
badge
"Let each man pass his days in that wherein his skill is greatest" Propertius Sextus
mbmbmbmbmb
What are people doing that it takes 5 minutes to set up this game? Are you including initial positioning of penguins as setup time?

I've only played about 4 times since I got this game for Christmas and with both players laying hexes it can't take more than a minute to lay out the board and then another minute or two to set initial penguins which I figured was part of the game since it is a game affecting decision, not just mechanically laying out the tiles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Jefferson
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I said it takes five minutes to both learn and set up the game. Maybe I'm more obsessive about lining the tiles up straight than I need to be, but it definitely takes me more than a minute to do. I don't think it's unreasonable, but it takes a couple of minutes.

I really don't think this is a huge problem, when playing with kids they can help with the set up. I am not counting initial penguin placement as part of set up, I agree that that is part of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
Glory to Rome!
badge
"Let each man pass his days in that wherein his skill is greatest" Propertius Sextus
mbmbmbmbmb
Gotcha. 5 minutes to setup and teach a game is definitely within the realm of acceptability. Usually we are discussing the last game while we setup the next one so even that time tends to go by quickly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.