Dr. Dam
Australia
KILLARA
VIC
flag msg tools
badge
May 2018 be all you dreamed it would be and be all that you dreamed...
mbmbmbmbmb
Whilst RftG: The Gathering Storm changes the play of the game fairly significantly, I found the artwork to be rather bland (in contrast to the base game). To be fair there are not too many new cards in this expansion anyway, but the depiction of some of the aliens are fairly ordinary, whilst other cards are just functional without standing out.

My Top 5 RftG: The Gathering Storm Images

d10-1 Volcanic World d10-1

Image Courtesy of ackmondual

Well what’s not to like? I mean it’s a world founded on small floating islands of rock amidst a sea of lava! The orange of the lava adds a nice vibrancy to a deck that can be fairly dark at times and the swell of the lava suggests that the sea is a fairly torrid beast.

Connecting each of the 4 rock formations are what look like large chains, but they could just as easily be heat resistant enclosed bridges allowing travel between each island. If they are chains, it adds to the danger of the planet as it would suggest that the islands are rather unstable.

The final element that makes the card a joy to look at is the 3 ships flying across the scene. They look really thin in design, perhaps because they utilise an expensive heat resistant metal and they leave a futuristic engine trail behind them that looks sweet.

d10-2 Hive World d10-2

Hive World gets the nod for the combination of its visual appeal and the alien-ness of the concept. As the name suggests the world is a giant Hive consisting of a myriad of honeycomb structures. The sheen on the honeycomb panels suggests that the surface is translucent or at the very least allows for sight to the outside world from the inside. One of the honeycomb panels is open and a vessel that is entering suggests that this is a hangar or docking bay entrance.

The ships themselves are the other cool concept as they are bee-like or insectoid by design. This fact combined with the name Hive World suggests that this entire planet is home to an insectoid type race (Uplift Race?).

d10-3 Doomed World d10-3

This falls into a similar category of appeal as Hive World and Volcanic World. It looks great thanks to the giant ball of impending fiery death in the background and the danger factor really supports the name of the card.

Rather than show the Doomed World in its entirety, the glow of the sun ready to go super nova is casting its glow over only a small portion of the upper surface of the planet, shrouding the rest in darkness due to the perspective from which the image is drawn.

The final element that lends weight to the name of the card is a whole spate of ships that appear to be hastily fleeing the planet. These look quite cool as they fly vertically and their engine signature, which is a funky blue/white, emanates from about 1/3rd of the way up the hull.

d10-4 Improved Logistics d10-4

Card is bottom row

This may not have made some people’s lists but I like it for its simplicity. Three conveyor belts can be seen, each holding different goods and ordinance. In the top left hand corner a metal rail can be seen and 2-3 different mechanical arms are coming off this beam ready to process and move the goods from the conveyor belts to wherever they need to go.

Improved Logistics is a good example of a card that doesn’t feature outstanding artwork but it does the job well and the in-game power of the card matches the intent of the scene perfectly.

d10-5 Rebel Sympathizers d10-5

This card just manages to sneak into my Top 5 thanks to the sense of urgency and therefore the tension that it displays. The backdrop shows a bustling Metropolis of a planet with many a tall building looming large and a constant stream of vessels in the sky. The foreground shows one of what must be countless alleyways. The closest details we can see has a Sympathizer holding open a door for what must be a Rebel as it runs into the room beyond. Some 20 metres down the alley a squad of soldiers/troopers/police can be seen doing a search at another doorway. It would seem that the Rebel has made it to safety just in time.

This is one of only a few cards to depict life in the RftG Galaxy on a day to day level and it does give a sense that the planet is an exercise in chaotic design, much like Coruscant in the Star Wars Universe. The bright light coming from the Sympathiser building casts long shadows on the opposite wall of the alley and this adds a sense of danger and tension to the scene.

The final element, which may exist in my mind only, is that the Rebel in the scene is depicted as an alien. I wonder if that was intentional and meant to parody the real world issue of Illegal Aliens in places like the US and the fact that some people assist them to avoid capture by the authorities.

If you liked this bit of self indulgent clap trap, you can find other articles in the series below -

d10-1Exploring the Artwork of Race for the Galaxy

d10-2 Exploring the Artwork of RftG: Rebel vs Imperium

d10-3 Exploring the Artwork of RftG: The Brink of War
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Volcanic World
Mustafar from SWIII cool

Doomed World
The Day The Earth Stood Still (the new one)
Spoiler (click to reveal)
Though we never see an image of it, this is what I imagine it'd be like

Improved Logistics
Reminds me of Walmart. Not sci-fi-y at all, I know.

Rebel Sympathizers
Never noticed the large city and its skyline view in the background. Neat
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr. Dam
Australia
KILLARA
VIC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:
Volcanic World
Mustafar from SWIII cool

I was so disillusioned with Lucas after that first abomination of a return to the SW universe that I hardly recall watching the next 2.

ackmondual wrote:
Doomed World
The Day The Earth Stood Still (the new one)
Spoiler (click to reveal)
Though we never see an image of it, this is what I imagine it'd be like

I'm a little behind on my Sci-Fi movies - I'll check it out.

ackmondual wrote:
Improved Logistics
Reminds me of Walmart. Not sci-fi-y at all, I know.

ackmondual wrote:
Rebel Sympathizers
Never noticed the large city and its skyline view in the background. Neat

Yes I have far too much time on my hands.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
zoran
United Kingdom
London
Middlesex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Neil Thomson wrote:

This fact combined with the name Hive World suggests that this entire planet is home to an insectoid type race (Uplift Race?).

Yeah it does come to think of it.

Neil Thomson wrote:

The final element, which may exist in my mind only, is that the Rebel in the scene is depicted as an alien. I wonder if that was intentional and meant to parody the real world issue of Illegal Aliens in places like the US and the fact that some people assist them to avoid capture by the authorities.

Interesting point, it's at least plausible that it's intentional. This image reminds me of a Brazillian favela because of the humbleness of the dwellings compared to the 'scrapers in the background and the steepness of the alleyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ŁṲÎS̈
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
F*** it! Do it LIVE!
badge
Didn't know what to spend all this sweet GG on, so I bought the overtext.
mbmbmbmbmb
zemus wrote:

Neil Thomson wrote:

Interesting point, it's at least plausible that it's intentional. This image reminds me of a Brazillian favela because of the humbleness of the dwellings compared to the 'scrapers in the background and the steepness of the alleyway.

As cool as it is, I think I would have liked to see the Alien helping the human for some reason. Kind of like how in some Sci-Fi with an evil Alien race(ex, Visitors), there's an internal faction of good aliens.
Also I think the hands strecthed out in front are to show the Alien is
running, but it kind of gives him a zombie effect.
Still, a great card.

Really cool threads, Neil.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
nicola caroli
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmb
One very nice thing is that the skyscrapers on the background of the Rebel Sympatizer art look like the one featured in the Galactic Imperium art. This suggests that the Sympathizers work from "the inside" of the Imperium: neat !

BTW this also suggests that playing a "planet card" does not necessarily mean you are colonizing a new planet, but perhaps factions or institutions are developing in your home planet / empire.

Best art in TGS is Alien Toy Shop IMO. The perspective is mind-boggling (or i'm just stupid ). I looked at it "the right way" after months i had seen the art !

Nice thread.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Serge
Canada
Burnaby
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's too bad there aren't giant scans of the TGS art to clickthrough like for the base game cards and RvI.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr. Dam
Australia
KILLARA
VIC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just posted my latest Session Report covering 50 plays of RftG Solo on Hard.

Neil We Have a Problem (50 Plays Against Hal the Robot - Hard)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Haglert
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The artwork in RFTG is so bloody awesome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.