Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dr. Dam
Australia
KILLARA
VIC
flag msg tools
badge
May 2018 be all you dreamed it would be and be all that you dreamed...
mbmbmbmbmb
Thankfully the number of cards in this the 2nd expansion plus a return to the high standards of the base game allow me to again choose a Top 10, with one or two cards unlucky to not make it.

My Top 10 RftG: Rebel vs. Imperium Images

d10-1 Mercenary Fleet d10-1

Image Courtesy of ackmondual

This card combines great lighting effects with awesome ship design to create an image that captures the destruction and impending chaos that a Mercenary Fleet should invoke.

Over half of the card is shrouded in darkness and out of the gloom 5 Mercenary vessels can be seen steaming towards the bright light in the final third of the card. The light suggests that civilisation is not far away or that the Mercenary Fleet is attacking from above the sun to help mask their approach. The presence of smoke or low lying cloud also adds a level of anticipation and danger, suggesting that only smoke and rubble will be left once the Fleet are done with the city or planet.

The final element is the design of the ships themselves. Whilst we only see the front portion of the vessels, they look intimidating with sharp points and a design that makes them seem predatory. The ships also feature orange bulbs on large lance-like spikes. These are more likely to be sensors than weapon systems, but they are cool nonetheless.

d10-2 Alien Monolith d10-2

Card is bottom/2nd from left

Sometimes all an artwork needs is a striking central focal point. Alien Monolith hits the mark perfectly as it looms high in the alien night sky. The sense of height and size is accentuated as the drawing uses a perspective that is set at just below the base of the Monolith, so in effect as the viewer we are slightly looking up at the structure.

The outer surface of the Monolith appears to be glasslike and offers no joins or design segments of any kind. This would suggest that the entire structure is built from one complete piece of glass or other building material. This is important as structures in our world generally cannot achieve this feat and as such it adds to the Alien aspect of the image. To accentuate the Alien element of the image, the Monolith appears to be built in isolation in a field of grass. Why would such a building be built in such a location? Well they are Alien of course…so who knows? It adds to the mystique.

Finally the overall visual effect is enhanced by having the two sharp edges of the Monolith glistening in the moonlight, which supports the theory that the structure is made from glass, ice or a crystal like substance.

d10-3 Alien Data Repository d10-3

This card stands out for the sheer scale that it is drawn on and indeed gives a sense of something very Alien. Central to the image are 3 Data Repositories, with one in particular being front and centre of the picture. But unlike our world where miniaturisation is the key, these Data Repositories are huge round structures that have 16 arms, presumably each a data store, coming off of them.

The Data Repositories are neatly lined up in what appears to be a trench and it is not difficult to think that this complex may well be 'Matrix like' and consist of hundreds if not thousands of these Repositories.

The final element is the use of light that appears to be streaming in from above. This may suggest that some form of mechanical arm is able to come from above and connect to any one Single Data Repository and access the data kept therein. For all we know the Alien Data Repository may be the single largest database on the Universe…its cost and VP value would certainly suggest so.

d10-4 Imperium Cloaking Technology d10-4

Ever since the depiction of Cloaking Technology in the Star Trek Universe, Sci-Fi fans have been in love with the concept that huge warships can stay concealed until they are upon the enemy. Imperium Cloaking Technology makes great use of this fact and depicts two de-cloaked ships approaching a planet and a third warship in the process of de-cloaking.

The ships appear to be approaching the dark side of the planet, heightening the sense that they wish to attack an unprepared enemy. It is all very simple but it is done to good effect.

d10-5 Imperium Blaster Gem Consortium d10-5

This card must have the longest name of any card in the game and I debated over whether it should be included in this Top 10 or not, with it eventually slotting in at No. 5.

The use of background building silhouettes combined with the foreground Consortium Building suggest the city is very modern and the home of many Consortium Headquarters.

The focal point of the image is the Imperium Blaster Gem Consortium Building itself. The use of a multi-tiered roof structure, its sheer size and the over elaborate apex, which is hexagonal in shape and features a glowing Gem at its centre, implies that the Consortium has an operating profit larger than several entire planets combined. The use of lighting on the building that matches the colour of the Gems used in the Consortium’s blaster design also adds a touch of decadence that Corporations in our world seem to favour.

Several ships fly across the evening sky but these are small details in the scheme of things. What I like most here is the implication it has for the RftG Galaxy. The name Imperium Blaster Gem Consortium suggests that gems are required to either power the blasters or create the blast that emanates from their weapons (ala a Jedi’s lightsaber). I like this level of detail being dangled in front of fans of the game.

d10-6 Imperium Warlord d10-6

This card is not exceptional from an artistic point of view but given the relative few cards that focus solely on a character, it seems to stand out just that little bit. Our Imperium Warlord is solemn in his facial expression suggesting that he deals in ruthless decisions on a daily basis. He wears red futuristic glasses that could be for some holographic schematic or they could actually be for some form of enhanced sight. He also sports a shortish Military Style haircut, although it is longer than what we associate with grunts in our world, which is befitted his status.

But really the Imperium Warlord is all about the Jacket. Featuring an upturned collar and a military style button line like that seen in Battlestar Galactica, it lends the Warlord a no-nonsense sensibility, especially with his pose which sees him grasp a metal railing. This guy is in command and he wants you to know it.

The background is perhaps the one letdown of this card. It consists of a metallic wall with various bulkhead styled lines running across it in diagonal fashion. I guess it does help the eye to focus on the Warlord and the use of metal adds a steely edge to the image. Personally though I would have preferred to see a holograph room showing the plans for an attack of one kind or another.

d10-7 R&D Crash Program d10-7

R&D Crash Program has a very strong visual appeal.

Two characters, presumably Engineers stand over a railing and look at a model of their impending project. Initially I wasn’t entirely sure if this was a model or the real thing drawn to scale from a distance, but the inclusion of a robotic device on the left suggests that they are indeed looking at a model.

Regardless, what makes R&D Crash Program appealing is the luminescent pattern of light that shoots forth from the centre of the model. It arcs up into the air some 2-3 metres high, which would surely represent a development hundreds of metres high based on scale, and bends and wraps to make a very engaging pattern. The depiction of a model and the use of light in this way is clever as it does not represent, in concrete form, any one development featured in the game. Therefore in an abstract sense it can conceivably become any development and this represents the power of the card well.

d10-8 Dying Colony d10-8

Image Courtesy of roxon

Card is top/right

Dying Colony makes the list for the mystery and almost lack of detail that it provides. The image is masked largely by sleet or snow that is falling across the planet, which infers that the planet’s climate has become too harsh for occupation.

The background is largely hidden from clear view by the weather, but a building in the background can just be made out. In the foreground a series of stumps can be seen and I assume they are tree stumps. Strewn around the bases of the tree stumps are what appear to be piles of paper or bark. All this suggests that the colony essentially stripped the planet of its resources, to the detriment of the planet’s ecology and this in turn has had dire consequences for the planet’s survival and that of a colony upon it. This interpretation of the card is further underlined by the card’s cost and value of 0 VP’s, yet it allows a good to be consumed for 1 VP. If my assertions are correct, Dying Colony is a rather poignant comment in relation to our own planet at this time.

The final touch to complete the image is that of a solitary ship taking off into the night sky. All of the other details provided give an impression that this is the final ship to leave the Dying Colony.

d10-9 Imperium Troops d10-9

Imperium Troops makes this Top Ten not so much for the detail of the image but for its perspective. The image depicts row upon row of Imperium Troopers standing in file as they prepare to disembark from a Troop Carrier that has likely landed on some new planet or location that needs subjugating. The troops themselves are largely in silhouette as we see this scene from the rear of the troop carrier, which makes the viewer almost feel that they are standing with the troops.

The roof of the carrier looms overhead, although not that much higher than the height of the Troopers themselves, reminding us that the military is all about efficiency and not comfort. The detail on the troopers themselves is minimal, which was probably deliberate as this artwork tries to reflect the nature of the moment (the impending seizure of control - which is again in-line with the power of the card). What detail there is seems to be satisfactory as the Imperium Troopers are decked out in assault gear complete with masked helmets (presumably allowing them to engage in hostile environments) and holding blaster rifles at the ready.

The scene is completed with a series of armoured vehicles arranged with military precision in the background. They appear to be some form of artillery or armoured vehicle and they do just enough to enhance the notion that what is about to take place is not negotiation.

d10-1d10-0 Uplift Code d10-1d10-0

Several cards were vying for this final slot including Blaster Runners, Smuggling World, Rebel Stronghold and Rebel Convict Miners. But in the end I gave the nod to Uplift Code, which is only the 2nd 6 cost Development to get the nod.

The scene depicts two people, possibly scientists or sociologists (is that the right term for somebody who excels in cultures?) working on a holographic screen and we are on the other side of the screen to them, looking through it. The screen, emblazoned with blue text, which is alien in nature, is presumably data that may hold the key to the Uplift Code – a major element that is fleshed out in the Rebel vs Imperium expansion.

The text is listed in a series of lines and adjacent to each line is a series of circles that are linked to each other. This effect reinforces the fact that the data presented in the schematic is indeed a code.

The main character in the scene is holding a finger near the screen, which gives a sense that she is able to manipulate the data as they try to unlock the Uplift Code. A series of boxes line the bottom of the holographic screen and again these suggest that she is preparing to drag data into those boxes and this process will help to unlock the Code.

The final element in the image is the outfit worn by the main character which is pink. The design itself is not that notable except for the accentuated hood, which works to give that sense of the future as the design is quite different form the fashion we see in our world at present.

Err my Swedish friend below has rightly pointed out that what I thought was a hood is in fact pink hair. Man whant does that say about human perception? I had never noticed that before. It does however still support my premise that it helps to make the character more futuristic. But wow.

Well that is it for my analysis of the best artwork (in my opinion) offered up by Rebel vs Imperium. I am pleased to see that there is not too much domination by any one card type with my selections.

The one that does stand out is that 4 of the 10 cards were Developments and I’m happy about that as the base game and 1st expansion seemed to only offer fairly standard artwork for these cards.

I will be back with my final offering once the 3rd expansion is released. Until then I hope you continue to enjoy playing RftG and perhaps take a little more notice of the artwork and the effort that is put into each card.

You can find links to my thoughts on the artwork found in the base game and The Gathering Storm below -

d10-1 Exploring the Artwork of Race for the Galaxy

d10-2 Exploring the Artwork of RftG: The Gathering Storm

d10-3 Exploring the Artwork of RftG: The Brink of War
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias Sölvefjord
Sweden
Skövde
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Neil Thomson wrote:
The design itself is not that notable except for the accentuated hood, which works to give that sense of the future as the design is quite different form the fashion we see in our world at present.

Um, isn't that really her hair that reaches down to her shoulders?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward
United States
New York City
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
supersiamesisk wrote:
Neil Thomson wrote:
The design itself is not that notable except for the accentuated hood, which works to give that sense of the future as the design is quite different form the fashion we see in our world at present.

Oh wow, I had also always thought she was wearing some kind of hood. I never realized that was supposed to be hair.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr. Dam
Australia
KILLARA
VIC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
supersiamesisk wrote:
Neil Thomson wrote:

Man that is so obvious now that you point it out. Correction made.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Once the Geek has you, there is no escape...
United States
Binghamton
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Neil Thomson wrote:
supersiamesisk wrote:
Neil Thomson wrote:

Ha, I'm in the other camp. I had always thought that it was hair, and when you wrote "hood" I quietly chuckled at the misperception . . . only to go back and examine the card and say, "Hmm, maybe it is a hood."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias Sölvefjord
Sweden
Skövde
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheMadVulcan wrote:
Neil Thomson wrote:
supersiamesisk wrote:
Neil Thomson wrote:

Ha, I'm in the other camp. I had always thought that it was hair, and when you wrote "hood" I quietly chuckled at the misperception . . . only to go back and examine the card and say, "Hmm, maybe it is a hood."

I'm quite sure that the artistic ambition was to depict hair, not a hood. Human perception of the world is however highly subjective and I guess that only the artist/s hold the final answer if there is one. Personally I find images that keep the viewer guessing the most intriguing.

All of that beside, hat's of to Neil for an interesting thread. I'm looking forward to your opinions on Brink of war. Keep up the good work!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Asa Swain
United States
Queens
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Alien Monolith is pretty, but I object to showing stars next to the crescent of the moon. (inside the circle of the moon) The dark part of the circular moon should block out any stars.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Bart
United States
Winnetka
California
flag msg tools
designer
Baseball been bery bery good to me
badge
This is a picture of a published game designer
mbmbmbmbmb
quartex wrote:
The Alien Monolith is pretty, but I object to showing stars next to the crescent of the moon. (inside the circle of the moon) The dark part of the circular moon should block out any stars.

Bases on the moon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Serge
Canada
Burnaby
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Neil Thomson wrote:
:d10-8: Dying Colony :d10-8:
[...]
In the foreground a series of stumps can be seen and I assume they are tree stumps. Strewn around the bases of the tree stumps are what appear to be piles of paper or bark.

Hmm looks more like large cylindrical structures to me, likely storage facilities. Not sure what the piles are, maybe snowed over processed materials...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J P
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmb
Neil Thomson wrote:
Our Imperium Warlord is solemn in his facial expression suggesting that he deals in ruthless decisions on a daily basis. He wears red futuristic glasses that could be for some holographic schematic or they could actually be for some form of enhanced sight.

Nay! The goggles, they do nothing!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Smith
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
[Even] in their poverty, they referred to their garden of necessity as if it were a hobby.
mbmbmbmbmb
Surprised and sorry to see that Gem Smugglers didn't make the cut. It's a beautiful card.

Also want to take a moment to thank the OP for ALL his great posts about RFTG. The positive impact your work has had in helping me make the right purchasing decisions at the right time cannot be overstated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr. Dam
Australia
KILLARA
VIC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
h00sha wrote:
Surprised and sorry to see that Gem Smugglers didn't make the cut. It's a beautiful card.

Also want to take a moment to thank the OP for ALL his great posts about RFTG. The positive impact your work has had in helping me make the right purchasing decisions at the right time cannot be overstated.

Cheers Warren. If you like my work feel free to drop a thumb on it...they make me happy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.