Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
onno ackema
Netherlands
weesp
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hi,

I like the theme of this game and its production is really nice. It seems to me it should be a semi serious wargame with enough strategy but also some chaos thrown in. however...

I've played this game a couple times with 6 players and it seems to me there is a serious inballance between the action "buy company" and the actions "war", "mercenaries" and "gov. intervention" in favor of the first.

The "buy company" is a much stronger action than the others and because of this more than 95 % of the actions taken seem to be "buy company". Taking a different action would just put you behind the other players most of the time. So it seems to me the game turns out to be more of an exersise in piece placement than the wargame I was hoping for.

Also the game only allows for a very limmited number of actions in my opinion wich futher implores you to make every action count by taking the much stronger "buy" action.

To fix this I think I have a very simple sollution. change the "actions" rule as follows:
"during his turn in a round a player may do any two of the following: buy company. payout industry. goverment intervention. buy mercenaries. launch a war. pass. However the action "buy company" may only be taken once per turn."
The extra rules for "payout industry remain the same.

I think this would make the game the more dynamic and managable experience it should be...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Link
United States
Snowmass Village
Colorado
flag msg tools
mb
Re: more balance between actions
I contempated this myself after playing it. I always used the "buy more companies" strategy. The option to goto war is, as it is in real life, used only as last resort option, usually with a coalition of other players, to hinder a player who is obviously winning.

The first time I played I had no more than 1 mercenary and war was declared on my country. I offered money for every mercenary other players tossed in. They quickly obliged and I said 'when' as soon as everyone ponied up enough for be to defend against the attack.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Costikyan
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Well, no, it's not a wargame; it's an economic game with war as an option, but since war is now in the hands of companies instead of governments, and is very costly, it's something you do infrequently.

I don't view this as an "imbalance" between actions; the right action, in most cases, is to buy a company. Government intervention and/or war can be decisive -at exactly the right moment-, but forgoing the opportunity to buy a company is a difficult decision to make, which is intentional.

Note that it is also intentionally a diplomatic game; quite often, it is in the best interest of several players that -someone- embark on a war against, or use government intervention against, a leader -- but the person who does so incurs a cost. One option is to ask others for money or other support in exchange for undertaking that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
onno ackema
Netherlands
weesp
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for the explanation.
I was expecting more wargame from an economic game than is reasonable I guess.
I still like the game, theme and production a lot so in future I will be looking for less agressive strategies when playing.
cheers!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Hammond
United States
League City
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I also felt the same way about the game when I played. I felt that two actions would be better with an increased cost for buying a second company... Something like:

Buy first company on your turn: $4
Buy second company of different type as first:$6
Buy second company of same type as first:$8

I also felt that Payout and Launching War should cost 2 actions. I think that this system also makes government intervention better for Democracies (you can force them to divest and then buy the company instead of making them lose it and someone else gets it (or they buy it back).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Page
United States
Confederate States of America
flag msg tools
mbmb
I've really enjoyed this game because of its emphasis on "economic warfare". The choice to go to war is always a costly one that takes away from your main goal: to profit.

This game has a great, snarky sense of humor. It shows that the player who bogs himself down by waging war is almost certainly going to come in last. *cough* USA *cough*

Cut-throat profiteering and corporate backstabbing is the way to go.

But still, a little invasion or two is always fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.