Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Wice
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mb
Hello Everyone,

We are playing our first RtL campaign, and a couple of questions have come up.

1.) Can the OL play 2 traps on one chest? For example, when a hero opens the chest, can he play explosive rune, and then play mimic?

2.) If the OL plays "Mimic" on the chest, may he immediately play "Rage" on the mimic? Thus giving the newly created beastman/chest 2 attacks?

3.) Can the OL play a Crushing Block trap next to a pit, then push the hero into the pit to deal another 1 damage for falling into the pit?

4.) Can the OL play "Dark Charm" and then play "Rage" on a hero? Giving that hero 2 attacks against himself or an adjacent ally?

5.) Can the OL ever play "Pit Trap" type cards, or "Crushing Block" type cards on his own turn, or must he always wait for a hero to move into an empty space? (I suspect these cards can only be played when a hero moves into a space, and could only be played on the OL's turn if a monster uses "knockback" or the like).

Thanks very much for your help! I look to the veteran players for guidance.

Thank you for taking the time to read and/or answer my questions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Rozmiarek
United States
Liberty Hill
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The basic answer to most of these questions is the OL may only play one card per triggering event. The triggering event is listed on the card. See base rules, pages 11 & 12 under "Types of Overlord Cards". Read the "Important:" notes. So...

RobutMike wrote:
1.) Can the OL play 2 traps on one chest? For example, when a hero opens the chest, can he play explosive rune, and then play mimic?

No, only one trap card per event.

RobutMike wrote:
2.) If the OL plays "Mimic" on the chest, may he immediately play "Rage" on the mimic? Thus giving the newly created beastman/chest 2 attacks?

Yes, you are activating the Beastman which is a new event.

RobutMike wrote:
3.) Can the OL play a Crushing Block trap next to a pit, then push the hero into the pit to deal another 1 damage for falling into the pit?

If you are playing by the latest ruling in the FAQ, yes you may. The clarification with Crushing Block is that it may not be played next to anything that blocks movement. Pits do not block movement.

RobutMike wrote:
4.) Can the OL play "Dark Charm" and then play "Rage" on a hero? Giving that hero 2 attacks against himself or an adjacent ally?

No

RobutMike wrote:
5.) Can the OL ever play "Pit Trap" type cards, or "Crushing Block" type cards on his own turn, or must he always wait for a hero to move into an empty space? (I suspect these cards can only be played when a hero moves into a space, and could only be played on the OL's turn if a monster uses "knockback" or the like).

Again, it's based on the triggering event. The trap event is "hero moving to a new space". So yes, if a monster were to knockback a hero the OL could play a trap because the hero moved to a new space. This also allows trap chaining. For example, play Crushing Block on a hero which does damage and moves hero to new space. Since the hero moved you can play a pit trap on the new space. Or reverse it, play the pit trap first and then as the hero climbs out, hit them with the Block pushing them back into the pit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Wice
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks very much for the quick reply. One other question regarding Dark Charm. Can the OL play an "Aim" card on the hero that is currently charmed? The rules seem to indicate that the hero plays as if he is a "monster" controlled by the OL, and I have seen a couple of conflicting posts about that.

Thanks again!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Rozmiarek
United States
Liberty Hill
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
From the FAQ: (What? You haven't read it yet?)
Quote:
Q: When the overlord is controlling a hero through “Dark Charm,” who decides how to spend the surges and power dice? Can the overlord move the character and attack, or just make a single attack without moving?
A: The overlord controls the hero for that attack, including the hero’s use of surges and power dice. The overlord may also play cards such as “Aim” with the attack. However, the overlord player cannot move the character, or force the hero to spend fatigue to add to the attack. The hero no longer benefits from any heroes with Command, but does receive a bonus from any of the Overlord's figures with command.

The key is the triggering events. For Rage it's "when you activate a monster". For Dark Charm you are not activating a monster. However, for Aim it's "Play immediately after declaring an attack...". Here you are declaring an attack against a hero.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Wice
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks a ton! I am actually reading through the FAQ again this morning. I seemed to remember the "Aim" instance, and that is why I had thought it would apply to cards such as "Rage" as well. I see now the wording indicates this is not the case. It has been somewhat difficult to keep track of numerous rulebooks and rulings so far, as this is our first game. I think we are getting the hang of it though.

Thanks again for your help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.