1 Posts

Letter of Marque» Forums » Sessions

Subject: First session with Letter of Marque rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sergut _
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We played Letter of Marque for the first time the other day. There was a short break between two longer games, so we decided to give it a try.

We were six players. We set our first treasures for the first round, and faced our first decision: should we load the ship with protective cannons or not? When the treasure is high, leaving it alone in the sea seems crazy. On the other hand, there are only two armed ships out of five. Protecting your 7 and your 6 makes your moves easy to predict, and leaves your 5, 4, and 3 as free lunches for the other pirates. arrrh

My first treasure was a 7. I decided to bluff hard from the start of the game. Being confident that most people would save the cannons until later in the game, I set sail with no protection hoping to reach home in a turn unthreatenned. Alas, the player next to me decided to try his luck against my ship (and got lucky). shake

Several rounds were played in high sucession. The game plays fast. cool Some players selected their ships after some theatrical choice, while others chose with very little thought. Every now and then, the cannons would roar and the smell of gunpowder would fill our nostrils. Most of the times, the pirates got lucky.

Armored ships would take longer to get home, as they were less in a hurry. Why hurry when you are protected? A high moment of the game happened when one of the pirates attacked the same (armed) ship for the second time, losing two cannon shots for nothing. The moral of the story is: Letter of Marque is a simple game, but that does not mean you can forget about what has been done in former turns.

In the end, we had 10-15 minutes of simple fun. Stealing and counter-stealing from your friends always guarantees some good laughs. arrrh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.