Popular Tags: [View All]
William Jason Raynovich
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello all,
Ben, thank you for a great game. Thank you for answering questions. You are to be commended.

Brett, who hosted the Ventrilo session for GMT, looked in on a game I was playing with someone on VASSAL. I have played maybe 8 games of this now. So, I am not an expert, but damn. We still got significant rules wrong. What we got wrong which may help those of you out there who are learning the game on your own. Oh yeah, THANKS Brett!

1: Light Infantry can ONLY attack other Light Infantry. Of course this begs to ask, why did the chart at least in TACW have a line for LI attacking Cavalry and HI? (11,6)

2: Hedges block LOS to beyond one hex. This does NOT work like walls in ASL. In the games I have played, if you are in a hex against a terrain feature. You can be seen in the terrain, but not beyond it. Here, you have to get right on top of the other unit to see it. (ie you have to be one hex away.) Then you can both see each other. So, the entire left half of the Royalist in Marston Moor are not seen. Tis true. (14.4) Hedges work like walls in ASL. If a unit is adjacent to the hedge, then someone can see them from more than one hex away.

3: Gentle slopes do NOT cause a formation hit. Well, unless you go over two in a turn. So, yes, in Marston Moor you do not have to start Open Order.

4: HI get a free wheeling if a Cav unit enters a rear hex. Yes, they do this BEFORE having to potentially roll for hedgehog. Gosh, it is harder to make a unit Hedgehogged now. They can even go backwards to do this. (This is still unclear to me.)

4: This now seen as wrong. It is interesting how many rules we can get wrong. HI do NOT get a freewheel if a Cav unit enters a rear hex. HI units CANNOT wheel backwards.

5: The tables are different for Heavy infantry Salvo fire from the TACW and the newest version of the rules.

6: Most hill situations do not stop the blockage of LOS.

7: Just realized this one: Counter March can be done with ALL units. Not just HI units.

8: Rotating in a hex does NOT cause a FH!

9: When a cavalry unit intercepts, it does not have to do close combat.

ADDED JUNE 2010:
10: When in Open Order, you take go to FB if you take a formation hit from artillery fire. Oh, but wait, you DO NOT become FB if you merely take casualties. I have been playing this wrong for at least a year.

Have a great day all,
William
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Jason Raynovich
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, I have a two more added: August 2011.

11: Artillery ONLY can reaction fire in grazing range 9.1.2

12: Cavalry may ONLY intercept on first two bullets of 9.1.3 which is basically movement. ESPECIALLY NOT Reform or Rally actions. That will be a game changer for me.

Have a great day all,
William

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Jason Raynovich
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I cannot believe I got this one wrong for SO LONG!

13: ALL, and I mean ALL Rally attempts made without a leader ON THE HEX of the unit, must be a Morale Check. I thought in Rally all units could just Rally. Boy, that will slow down fixing a wing!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.