Middle-Earth Quest» Forums » General

Subject: How cooperative MEQ is with 3 players? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Finland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm trying to convince my playing group to buy this game (even though we have tons of games unplayed laugh and not really so much time ninja but the game seems so cool that I kind of must get it sauron )

I really enjoy games that have "different sides" or 1 versus others (when things are balanced), minority vs majority type of stuff is just cool. MEQ seems like a game that could fit in our collection (I've read tons of MEQ stuff).

I would have one question though. We have a 3 player gaming group. For this amount of players - how cooperative MEQ is? (I realize that 1 plays the Sauron... ) Do the 2 heroes actually need to collaborate and plan their actions together? Or is it more like that they simply keep doing their own stuff ignoring each other?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Fling
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When playing 3 or 4 players the Hereos are better off working as a team. Most the time it is essential that they do work together in order to win. If you find your hero running around Middle Earth alone dont expect ot win.

I do highly recomend this game regardless of how many players you have. It is a fun very fun game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Butler
United States
Fort Walton Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think 3 players is prime for the game. The heroes do need to cooperate, but I will warn you that it may take a game or two before you realize this is a requirement. It certainly is easy for the heroes to each get sucked up in their own little world of requirements, but if they have any hope at achieving their mission and stopping Sauron's plots, they have to work together. This is a game of "so much to do, so little time to do it all", and the heroes must band together to stop Sauron if they are to succeed, even though it is tempting to go after your own quests and build up your own hero's statistics.

So, cooperation is required for the heroes to succeed, but expect your first play to be learning the rules, and your 2nd play to be a realization that the heroes really have to work together in order to stand a chance

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Finland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Alright, sounds good.

Anything else to add?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Kelly
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheMob wrote:
Alright, sounds good.

Anything else to add?

Yes. You should purchase it as soon as possible, and start playing immediately!
TK

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Finland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tkelly wrote:
TheMob wrote:
Alright, sounds good.

Anything else to add?

Yes. You should purchase it as soon as possible, and start playing immediately!
TK

My thoughts exactly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drake Coker
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
This is my tank for Combat Commander
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the game plays very well in all of its configurations, but 3-player feels like the best overall experience to me. The heros do need to cooperate to do well, but not to the point where every move is agreed upon. I haven't seen the Pandemic effect here (where one player more-or-less tells everyone what to do).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Finland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Olvenskol wrote:
I think the game plays very well in all of its configurations, but 3-player feels like the best overall experience to me. The heros do need to cooperate to do well, but not to the point where every move is agreed upon. I haven't seen the Pandemic effect here (where one player more-or-less tells everyone what to do).

Hmm, if anyone has played Battlestar Galactica or Arkham Horror... is MEQ cooperation similar? Or do players do more "individual" stuff.

Just pondering because the actual game page of MEQ here on boardgamegeek didn't have "co-operative" play in the mechanism section.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Butler
United States
Fort Walton Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You have to cooperate as the heroes to a somewhat lesser extent than Pandemic or Arkham Horror, but by that I only mean it is hard to share *everything* or have one player dominate the play if you have a living, breathing opponent who hears every word you say It's coooperative like Lord of the Rings (Knizia) with the Sauron Expansion...although the gameplay is *radically* different from Lord of the Rings Knizia. By that, I mean one player isn't playing cooperatively; out of those who are, it is difficult for one player to boss everyone else around because Sauron gets to hear everything they say, but it is easy for one player to play more than one hero if they want to. (It's not necessary though, I think the game works fine with 2-4, based on my experience plus the 4-player experiences I have heard from others.) For the heroes, the *gameplay* is closer to Arkham Horror but without as much randomness, and a much better movement/combat system.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Finland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When hearing stuff related to Lord of the Rings, I wonder how biased view *Sam* has. whistle

I have Knizia Lords (without Sauron expansion though) and I like the cooperation of that. This sounds good, thanks Sam.

Any other take against on that "not so random as Arkham" comment - anyone? sauron

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Finland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
butsam wrote:
You have to cooperate as the heroes to a somewhat lesser extent than Pandemic or Arkham Horror, but by that I only mean it is hard to share *everything* or have one player dominate the play if you have a living, breathing opponent who hears every word you say It's coooperative like Lord of the Rings (Knizia) with the Sauron Expansion...

By that, I mean one player isn't playing cooperatively; out of those who are, it is difficult for one player to boss everyone else around because Sauron gets to hear everything they say, but it is easy for one player to play more than one hero if they want to. (It's not necessary though, I think the game works fine with 2-4, based on my experience plus the 4-player experiences I have heard from others.) For the heroes, the *gameplay* is closer to Arkham Horror but without as much randomness, and a much better movement/combat system.

I read this thing again.. and then also saw this in another thread:
Quote:
We set up the game and drew out starting missions and quests. Aragald had to explore the Fangorn forest. Thalin had to make it to Dain II in the north mountains and Beravor had to go visit Gandalf in the space next to the shire (the name of the location escapes me).
I drew the Ring starting plot. I took my shadow card (they are terrible) and my plot cards, which were another two ring plot cards.

This started me pondering... IS there really much (any?) cooperation among heroes? To me this sounds like each hero gets their own quest, which they individually (and by ignoring others) try to accomplish.

How cooperative is this game?

(I've managed to convince 1 out of 2 friends to purchase this... now need to convince the last one... and well, check these points before purchasing )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheMob wrote:
This started me pondering... IS there really much (any?) cooperation among heroes? To me this sounds like each hero gets their own quest, which they individually (and by ignoring others) try to accomplish.

Quests are only a very minor part of the game. When the quoted text says the hero "had to go" to a particular place, that is just saying that is what is necessary to complete the quest. The players still decide whether to actually do that. You can easily win the game without ever completing any quests.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
To further David's point, even if everyone does intend to finish their personal quests, there is still a question of when each person should focus on it. If everyone just does their own thing that means Sauron is also doing his own thing unfettered. That's usually not good for the heroes.

-MMM
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Finland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I hear you, I hear you.sauron

When you guys say "players need to cooperate", what you actually mean? Perhaps this would be clearer to me if some of you kind travelers would give me an example or 2 of how the cooperation actually works during the game.

Pretty please.cool

(The reason why I'm so keen to hear about this is that I enjoy co-op games, and felt that made a non coop-game purchase recently, even though the game was said to be "semi-coop" by some folks. Don't want to repeat this mistake with MEQ / other games..)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Finland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
...well, doesn't matter any more. I bought the darn thing cool

I'll see soon. Thanks everybody for your comments.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheMob wrote:
When you guys say "players need to cooperate", what you actually mean? Perhaps this would be clearer to me if some of you kind travelers would give me an example or 2 of how the cooperation actually works during the game.

Well, you could read some of the many reviews here. But the main goal of the heroes is to collect favor and defeat Sauron's plots. There are resources that randomly appear on the board over the course of the game. The heroes can decide who will collect resources that appear on the board, exchange resources with one another if they meet in the same place, decide who will try to foil which of Sauron's plots, and so on. For example, if one plot is guarded by a tough minion, the hero with the best combat skills might go after it, while another hero with high wisdom (which allows him or her to move more freely) goes around the board to collect favor. The heroes also, collectively, have a secret mission that they can work together to perform.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Finland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeh... I've read reviews. I've just noticed that different people might have different opinions what "cooperative" means. One review (outside geek) mentioned that the game is not cooperative (I presume he was thinking 2 player mode, although it was not clearly stated.) Anyway, I have the game now... and pretty good picture after reading the rules.

Can't wait to test it. And to play as Sauron. Muah. sauron

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Duckworth
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
I've found this game to be quite cooperative in a three player game. When my gaming group plays, I don't think their is a single turn that goes by where the players don't discuss their actions prior to doing them on each turn. From gathering/dividing up favor and knocking out seperate plots to tag-teaming minions in combat, their is an awful lot of coordination. The games I've lost the worst as a hero were the 4 player ones where you get 1 new guy who wanders around Middle Earth completing quests instead of being a team player.

Each player does have their individual quests, and agendas, and if any one of them focuses on these the heroes will lose the game as a whole. It is way too competitive for heroes to waste time on personal advancement.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.