Popular Tags: [View All]
Adam Goździelewski
Poland
Opole
Opolskie
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Everyone is sitting in their chairs, eating a dinner and talking about the usual stuff.
Party is getting long and boring, everyone is sober and tired, listening to a calm beat.
The family meeting is quiet as hell and everyone is scared to do something inappropriate...
And then suddenly a bright light full of rainbow colours comes to the room and everyone becomes more and more curious. 'What is it?' they ask me. I answer with a look of tricky magician... 'This is Treehouse.'

My set of Treehouse pyramids is about one year old, it was used about hundred times and it's still my number one gadget to interest people with. But let's start from the beginning...

The first feeling
While I bought my set I was amazed by the unusual packing of the game. Pretty little pieces put in a tube with a die and a little rules sheet. Everything fits in a pocket and is 100% produced in America (as says the sticker on the tube). Really nice visual apperance - I believe that it is the main reason why people get so excited by the game just at the first contact.
As it comes to the rules, after playing many times with many diferent people, I see that some people find them too boring and simple, but some of them like the basic game really much. Frankly, I don't like them so much.

Playing the game
Everyone gets a 'tree' in one colour (three pyramids stacked to look like a tree) and in the middle of the table there is a 'House' (three pyramids of one colour put in a combination). In Your turn, You roll a die and see what your luck brought You (check out the really cool die by the way!), then You have to adapt Your set of Pyramids to look like the House. On the k6 die there are words instead of numbers: HOP, TIP, AIM, DIG, SWAP and WHIP. Every word gives You a different ability to move Your pyramids (or in some cases to move the House too).
The rules are easy to learn and explain, but as I play the game, every next time gets more and more boring.
However, by this game I crushed the ice between some people and even met a group of people in a restaurant, just by their curiosity of the game. This is a great advantage of Treehouse.

This doesn't end here!
Another advantage (a HUGE one!) is that the basic rules of the game are not the only ones! This game has lots of variants in the Internet. What is interesting, most of them are thousands times more exciting than the basic game! Sad thing is that to play many of them You need more than one set of Treehouse pyramids, but my favorite ones (Twin Win, Martian Coasters) need just one.
Also it's really nice that Treehouse is a great game-making tool (a board game system?) and You can try making Your own variants easily.

Conclusion
Treehouse is not my favorite game. It's not a very good game itself too. But it's the last game I'd want to lose. It's the game that I bring to most social meetings and, by many months of use, it has proven itself as the best game for playing with non-gamers.

Post Scriptum: If You like Treehouse, I strongly recommend You to check out the other Looney Labs games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Stout
United States
Annandale
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I enjoy the game more than you apparently do, but I agree that the most fun is with all the other games possible with the pieces.

It's too bad that Looney Labs doesn't put a little flyer in the package mentioning some of the other games and accessories available, like what is mentioned on this page. I wonder how many buyers have given up on it, being only aware of the Treehouse game alone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spencer C
Netherlands
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice review, short and sweet the way they should be.

I wonder if you've tried out the wider range of Icehouse games, as based on your owned games and ratings, I'm surprised Twin Win and Martian Coasters would be your favourites. Twin Win's great, but I have little love for Martian Coasters (or for that matter, the eponymous Treehouse).

Mundialto (Gold Cup) is a game which uses a single stash and the martian coasters which I've heard good things about. It's one I haven't had the pleasure of trying yet, however.

EDIT: Just in case anyone reads this and doesn't know, a huge list of Icehouse games and their rules (200+, I believe) are compiled at http://icehousegames.org. It's sortable by what you have, definitely worth a nosey.
Furthermore, there are several Geeklists listing and discussing various Icehouse games, most of which should probably show up on Treehouse's main page under the Geeklists heading.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wolfe
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Zendo fan, Columbus Blue Jackets fan, Dominion Fan.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
UanarchyK wrote:
EDIT: Just in case anyone reads this and doesn't know, a huge list of Icehouse games and their rules (200+, I believe) are compiled at http://icehousegames.org. It's sortable by what you have, definitely worth a nosey.
Furthermore, there are several Geeklists listing and discussing various Icehouse games, most of which should probably show up on Treehouse's main page under the Geeklists heading.

Many of these games are in the BoardGameGeek database, and they are collected under the Looney Pyramids family.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Goździelewski
Poland
Opole
Opolskie
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
UanarchyK wrote:
I wonder if you've tried out the wider range of Icehouse games, as based on your owned games and ratings, I'm surprised Twin Win and Martian Coasters would be your favourites. Twin Win's great, but I have little love for Martian Coasters (or for that matter, the eponymous Treehouse).

I've played a few more Icehouse games, but I didn't like them as much as Twin Win or Martian Coasters. I'm curious why You find it surprising :>. However I believe there are always good variants for me to discover.
Thanks for the great link too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.