Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott
United States
Redding
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wargames can be complicate, and can have very detailed rules. Couple that with our addiction to buying more games than we can ever play poses the question. How many of your wargames could you just pick up and play? For me its ASLSK 1 and 2, PoG, BtB, CC:E, TS, and CC:A. I need to browse the rules, or re-read completely to play anything else.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"L'état, c'est moi."
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Roger's Reviews: check out my reviews page, right here on BGG!
badge
Caution: May contain wargame like substance
mbmbmbmbmb
There's probably about 6-10 games I could just pick up and play. Otherwise, yeah, it's browse/re-read the rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mendon Dornbrook
United States
Phoenix
AZ
flag msg tools
"Go with the grace and protection of the Lord." It's the usual mantra for the big hero.
badge
The ticket to the future is always open.
mbmbmbmbmb
That's pretty impressive. I'm not an avid war gamer, but I can only keep three straight before I start confusing rules, and even then, I don't think that all of those (or any, necessarily) would be regarded as wargames by the wargaming community.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
German Mike
United States
Hudson
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
For me, remembering game rules is also a function of how frequently I play a game. Years ago, I used to be very fluent in 'MasterFront' rules that link all of Columbia Games 'Front Series' games together to form one big ETO block game. Today, having not played these games in quite a while, I have completely forgotten them.

There is a great thing to be said about 'series' games, such as SCS, EastFront or the Combat Commander series. You only have to remember a set of 'core rules' and then only some additional game/battle/scenario specific rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drake Coker
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
This is my tank for Combat Commander
mbmbmbmbmb
I seem to be able to keep about 75% of one game in my head at any time
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Lowry
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I keep every game I've ever played in my head.

Of course, it's kind of crowded in there, so it's all a kind of mush now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freddy Dekker
Netherlands
Friesland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can actually keep all my games in my head.

Unfortunatly it's such a vast empty space up there, that I'm unable to find any information back, but I'm sure it's all in there.... somewhere.

laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Over 50 Gamer
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
Oliver......one cool cat
badge
MEOW!
mbmbmbmbmb
Depends on the type of game too. I have a devil of a time with tactical wargames. I own and play ATS, LNL:BOH, COH, TOI, CC:E, CC and Ambush. I always have to reread the rules prior to playing because the rules all start to run together. The only reason I am able to play all these is because I unloaded my ASL stuff (I owned ALL of it) and made room in my brain

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan McGuire
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The game I play are all different enough that there's little chance of getting the rules mixed up.

(In the order I thought of them...)
Zendo
Volcano
Apples to Apples
Fluxx
Aquarius
Carcassonne
Poker
IceTowers
Martian Chess
CrackeD ICE
RAMbots
Black Ice
Are You the Traitor?
(and others)

I could play any of these without looking up the rules EXCEPT maybe some of the most detailed things, such as in Apples to Apples how many matches a player needs in, say, a five-player game to win.

Of course, none of these are heavy duty war games, so this might not be match up directly with everyone else's answers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Poul Soegaard
Denmark
Hobro
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am not able to keep that many games in my head, however being mostly a block game player, there is alot of similarities between the games, but changing from FAB: the bulge to Eastfront og AE requires just a quick brushup in the small differences, since the basic is pretty much laid down inside the head somewhere.

But even games I have played a few times, still requires some rereading of the rules during play, just to make sure that there is no big errors during play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wolfgang Kunz
Germany
Netphen
flag msg tools
badge
I'm German. That's what we do...
mbmbmbmbmb
I use to mark my (print-out) rules and play a lot of Series - Rules (SCS, TCS, OCS, EFS, ASL) so it is easy to get into a game when skipping thru the important parts of the rules that I have marked. Then there are excellent help - sheets that make playing "out-of-the-box" easier and my buddy (playing a lot ftf) helps with the memory holes I have. So in fact I would say that with a bit of preparation I can play 70 % of my games with less preparation. Since a lot of concepts are similar in wargaming (ZOC, Advance / Retreat after combat, supply) it is not learning every game anew but checking these rules for similarities and just studying the "new" stuff.

So it is not as difficult as it might sound.

And concerning ASL it is always reading the rules (while on the can for ex. ) and constantly learning things one has overlooked (but being blessed with three ASL players it is a lot of "learning-by-doing").
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm. Pretty sure I could pick up Kingmaker and play it, though I've played it about once in the past 10 years.

World in Flames is mostly in my brain - but it's a big game and I still look up details about things like Vichy France, though the basic movement, land/air/naval combat, production core systems I have down pretty cold.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Terhune
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
This is a blatant example of frivolous geek gold spending.
badge
I spent 100 geek gold and all I got was this lousy overtext.
mbmbmbmbmb
Off the top of my head, I think I could pick up and play ASL, SFB, Car Wars, WFB, 40K, and Starmada with only cursory looks at the rules to remind myself of various weird things as play went on. I can add to that a small handful of RPGs whose combat systems are akin to wargames, and maybe get close to 10.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trey Stone
United States
Texarkana
Texas
flag msg tools
May the bikini be with you!
badge
I destroy SJWs!
mbmbmbmbmb
That's why I keep my crunchy games, in fact my game library, somewhat limited.

In fact, my crunchy games are pretty much just SL/ASL, Star Fleet Battles, Battletech, Car Wars, Dawn Patrol, Magic the Gathering, and some misc other games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
suPUR DUEper
United States
Villa Hills
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Twilight Struggle
Paths of Glory
We the People
For the People
Manuoeuvre

Huh. Looks like I am a card driven wargamer at this point.

(I am excluding Axis and Allies, its derivatives, Memoir, and Nexus Ops 'cuz....)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Smith
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
None of them unless I have played it recently. I always skim rules before I play as I know what I tend to forget. I never assume I have remembered them all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Olivieri
Italy
Negrar, Verona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After start playng ASL i've always my nose on the rules... every game i play!:laugh:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Olivieri
Italy
Negrar, Verona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After start playng ASL i've always my nose on the rules... every game i play!:laugh:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott
United States
Redding
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Arlecchino wrote:
After start playng ASL i've always my nose on the rules... every game i play!laugh

Isn't that the truth?! I have a harder time finding opponents so I haven't played ASL much recently. I've read the rules enough to where I can play the SK's easily. I hope to get many more games in the future. Maybe I should get on Vasl. The nice thing about CDG is they work nicely with PBeM.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Lawson
United States
Rutland
Vermont
flag msg tools
I drink and I know things
badge
Night gathers and now my watch begins
mbmbmbmbmb
I've got 5 or 6 bouncing around up there now. I am occasionally known to use the correct rule from the wrong game....oops!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob
United States
flag msg tools
Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday.
badge
Courage is being scared to death, but saddling up anyway.
mbmbmbmbmb
Depending on the game, perhaps 3-4 at one time. Those monster games like Case Blue can absorb 2-3 of those slots in a hurry... laugh

meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Gilbert
United States
Salisbury
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmm... it better be at least seven because I'm planning on competing in seven games at Prezcon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Munk
United States
Lebanon
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Warmachine Prime Remix stays in my head, although Warmachine's rules are going to 2nd edition this week. Everything else rotates in and out. I've read the rules to Here I Stand twice in the last couple of weeks in prep for a game next month. I'm almost afraid to read anything else because it will likely bump my recently learned rules knowledge out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Libera
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
that was one of the great things about the old SPI quads or the AH classics. Once you learned the game, you probably kept a good 90% in you head for er um...pretty durn close to forever. It might take a 5-10 minute browse of the rules to remind yourself of victory conditions or special rules, but it was all basically THERE.

Could pick up any of the 8 B&G and road to richmond now and probably play...not to mention NAW or 30 years war.

On the other hand, the answer might be 0 if you insist on 100% memory. I always found that remembering all the basics and mechanics was really enough and special rules and victory conditions (exact, not general) are very quickly reviewed....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G. Harding Warren
United States
Arnold
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

My problem with keeping wargame rules straight has the benefit of limiting how many games I am willing to purchase. I would say that I have room in my mind for a tactical game (Squad Leader), a grand strategic game (Blue vs. Gray), my favorite system (GCACW), some particularly easy games (Twilight Struggle) and the old Avalon Hill-style hex and counter games (Panzergruppe Guderian, Anzio, A Victory Lost, etc.). I just can't add many more unique systems to my repertoire at this point.

A good trick for being able to master all of the various differences among the old Avalon Hill games is to make a cheat sheet for each game which is about a page or two long. I have done these for a bunch of the classics, taking a simple game like Waterloo as a point of reference.

What I do is make a list regarding how the game deals with the following:
Rivers
Stacking
ZOC (with regard to retreats, supply, movement and command radius)
Air Support
Supply
Double Impulse/Mech Movement Phases

I find these categories to be those which you will find to vary from game to game, which differences I tend to forget most easily (e.g., can you cross a river only at the bridges? Do friendly units negate enemy ZOC for retreats? Can you retreat through friendly units even if that causes termporary overstacking?). This cheat sheet approach has helped a lot, and I think it's a better way that to browse through the whole rulebook prior to play. Also, the act of writing all this stuff down, in your own handwriting, somehow more firmly establishes these rules in your mind.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.