Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nick Szegedi
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's a letter (from A&A dot Org) from the Big "Cheese" himself! Larry has ALWAYS been "down to Earth" and truly understands our concerns!
...just remember... he's listening too!

Quote:
LH 1/1/10

I'd like to take this opportunity to give a special shout out to my new right hand man Krieghund (plucked out from the ranks of this site and others). As you all know, Krieghund has been busy as a bee addressing your questions and concerns. I'm sure you join with me in thanking him for all his hard work.

Listen - I hope to see all you back here next year.
I wish you all the best of health and happiness in the coming year.

I deeply regret the errors that occurred in A&A Pacific 1940. I think these issues will be worked out, however. Let's give the good folks at Wizards a chance to get back from this holiday break and straighten things out. Many lessons have been learned and we all will benefit from this experience. I don't want to get into the reasons some of these mistakes were made, but Avalon Hill and me want to better understand how they were made. This will help prevent them from happening again. In the meantime, thanks for your long time demonstrated support and interest in Axis & Allies.

Know that you are being heard. Know that what you say matters. The games are not always perfect, far from it, but gosh darn it... it ain't from a lack of trying. You've got to believe that. These games aren't easy to design and produce. If all the details that go into one of these babies were tiny mechanical parts we'd have a machine that is no less complicated than that of a Saturn Moon rocket. That's not an excuse for less than perfection, but it is an observation. If we've failed you in some small or big way it's because we made human mistakes.

This I can promise you... no one is scheming up ways to trick you into buying more games by providing unit piece counts that end up being too small. No one is cutting corners. Some of you have been suggesting this... You think I don't watch the sites? I've got your names and I know where you live. You better watch out... There are no conspiracies to trick or manipulate you. We're just a bunch of hard working folks doing the best we can. We value all of you, please continue to value us. I feel confident that once the bugs have been worked out this 1940 series will end up being the best Axis & Allies games ever published by Avalon Hill or any publisher out there.

Love you guys... So very often I have had the pleasure of getting to know you over the years. Almost without exception you have proven time and time again that you are indeed - the best and brightest fans in the world!

Happy New Year!

Larry Harris

oh and btw- I want to also thank Krieghund for his AWESOME support in all the A&A universes! Thanks buddy, for all your hard work!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Anderson
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I belive Mr. Harris did his job on this. The blame for the problems most likely lies with the publisher and the bean counters. My wife is in the game business for many years and those parties are nearly always the main reason for problems with quality control.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Bisio
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Don't worry Larry I have already put togther my own mega-variant---

I combined the game Axis & Allies Pacific 1940 with my own variant:
"Empires of the Pacific" and added a major new unit "Naval Air" or
'Nav Air". Naval Air units are now the only ones that can operate off carriers.

The Japanese Navy starts the variant with 4 Carriers (CV) with 8 Naval air aboard along with 3 Battleships (BB), 4 subs(SS), 5 crusiers(CA),
6 destroyers(DD), and 12 Transports (TR)....

The US Navy starts with 2 BB at Pearl Harbor and has 2 CV with 4 Naval air aboard, along with x3 SS, x3 CA, and x5 DD, and x5 TR. 1 BB arrives at the end of Turn 1 to show the battleships sent from the Atlantic Fleet.

The variant also uses some of your ideas from the original Axis & Allies Pacific with the Japanese scoring VPs for non-Japanese area IPCs controlled as well as other events.

I also added paratroopers, Japanese Puppet troops, stacking & basing limits, a special Sea Control mission for air units, Japanese Turn 1 surprise attacks on the UK and USA. US air units deploying to India.
realistic KMT force levels and limits in China.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Caputo
United States
Overland Park
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I am not saying that WOTC are expected to be perfect or judged beyond that the limits of humans. I do, however believe, when we pay for something and that particular something, is riddled with mistakes and a shortage of pieces, we should be made whole. I don’t believe anyone should benefit from a cash cow of extra units or extra copies of the game. I would like to see a package put together, and with a simple call to the company, to be sent to correct the numerous and game breaking errors in rules, unit limits, and startup. It is what our justice system is based on, and is a respectable way to treat your customers.
I am not sure of all the errors but I believe the package would have to contain:

Jap Tac Bs
ANZAC box top
US box top
New IPC and battle strip
…. Anything else?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Petersen
Canada
Grande Prairie
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am personally waiting for a re-release of AA Pacific 1940 before I purchase. One that will have the errors fixed so I don't have to go over my rulebook and set up charts with a felt pen... Not to mention more MechInf's/TachBombers for Japan (and possibly ANZAC) and a new battle board... I won't break a sweat untill the AA Europe 1940 is released in summer 2010. WILL there be a re-release prior to AA Europe 1940's release? Or will WOTC answer our complaints individually?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Miner
United States
Germantown
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Amen brother!i want the dang plastic factorys back and the AAguns please.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Ozimek
Denmark
Aalborg
flag msg tools
badge
Must resist M:tG. Boardgames are my methadone :)
mbmbmbmbmb
billingspike wrote:
Amen brother!i want the dang plastic factorys back and the AAguns please.

Contrary to the items Ryan listed, one has not been led to believe that plastic AA guns or factories were included in the game. Lets keep this fair.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg D
United States
Upsala
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am also waiting for AA Europe 40 to become available in mid 2010 before contemplating a Pacific 40 purchase. I am crossing my fingers that there will be Pacific 40 re-release prior to the AA Europe 40 so I can buy both at once. The thought of a grandiose game (AA Pac 40 and AA Eur 40) of this proportion is awesome. To know that half of it isn't up to snuff would ruin the two.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Halbower
United States
Muskegon
Michigan
flag msg tools
The Gaming Annex in Muskegon
badge
The Muskegon Area Gamers
mbmbmbmbmb
ozimek wrote:

Could you please stop spamming every remotely related thread with this post? Thanks. You are welcome to make a thread concerning your game in the Varians sub-forum of the game.

I'm not sure that this thread even meets the definition of "remotely". His post is completely off topic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Knepper
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ryolacap wrote:
I am not saying that WOTC are expected to be perfect or judged beyond that the limits of humans. I do, however believe, when we pay for something and that particular something, is riddled with mistakes and a shortage of pieces, we should be made whole. I don’t believe anyone should benefit from a cash cow of extra units or extra copies of the game. I would like to see a package put together, and with a simple call to the company, to be sent to correct the numerous and game breaking errors in rules, unit limits, and startup. It is what our justice system is based on, and is a respectable way to treat your customers.
I am not sure of all the errors but I believe the package would have to contain:

Jap Tac Bs
ANZAC box top
US box top
New IPC and battle strip
…. Anything else?

Based on comments in another thread about getting extra Mech/TacB pieces and the Battlestrip, I sent a note to WotC and got the following response:

Quote:
There has been no announcement on additional pieces, but the Axis & Allies: Pacific 1940 game has a known issue where the Battle Strip is misprinted. Some of numbers are wrong or missing. While we don't have any correct Battle Strips available for replacement at this time, we do expect to receive them by February. Please reply with the following information so we can make sure to send you a correct Battle Strip when we get them in:

First Name:

Last Name:

Address:

City:

State:

Zip Code:

Phone Number (with area code):

So, other than correcting the Battlestrip, it does not appear that WotC has any additional corrective actions planned.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stetler
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Aging One wrote:
So, other than correcting the Battlestrip, it does not appear that WotC has any additional corrective actions planned.

As much as I am loath to suggest spending more money to correct issues that arguably should not have existed at the game's price point, at least with the old Hasbro/MB you could purchase spare parts via their website. Reinstituting that approach for AAP40 could at least give an option for players to address any (real or perceived) shortages of new unit types. I could live with that approach if the price point was reasonable - perhaps ~$15 shipped for spare mech infantry and tac bombers for *all* sides. Old unit types are easy enough - $20 online price for AA42 == plenty of spare pieces for powers that need them (bonus - you also get an exact copy spare battlestrip, too!....(sigh)).

And here's to hoping that when they finally release their official FAQ/errata, it’s a decent looking PDF and not just a forum post. Bad enough the rulebook slipped through with as many errors as it did (to think we used to bash ADB for producing "final" editions of SFB with errors, at least they had to excuse of a thick rulebook to fall back on). At the very least the errata page we'll need to point players to should fit with the rulebook, and look official.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Halbower
United States
Muskegon
Michigan
flag msg tools
The Gaming Annex in Muskegon
badge
The Muskegon Area Gamers
mbmbmbmbmb
Rudolf Jordon wrote:
AAP40 is not limited production.

It will be around for years and not disappear from shelves.

What's your source for this information?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Nielson
United States
Eagle Mountain
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just got an envelope from WotC containing the updated battle strip and 6 extra Japanese tac bombers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Ozimek
Denmark
Aalborg
flag msg tools
badge
Must resist M:tG. Boardgames are my methadone :)
mbmbmbmbmb
technotrooper wrote:
I just got an envelope from WotC containing the updated battle strip and 6 extra Japanese tac bombers.

Sweet. I will have to write them ASAP. I hope they offer the same service in Europe. They did for Guadalcanal, so I don't see why they wouldn't.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve G
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
"I expect to pass through this world but once; any good thing therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now; let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again." ~Ettiene De Grellet
badge
MythicParty is a collaboration of socially-conscious geeks who raise $ to help various charitable causes- thanks to our supporters at Gen Con 2010, we raised $2,052 for an effort to help Gulf Coast recovery. Anyone can get involved just ask me how!
mbmbmbmbmb
Harris hyperbole
Quote:
LH 1/1/10

These games aren't easy to design and produce. If all the details that go into one of these babies were tiny mechanical parts we'd have a machine that is no less complicated than that of a Saturn Moon rocket. That's not an excuse for less than perfection, but it is an observation.

shake

From NASA:

"The three-stage Saturn V was taller than a 36-story building. It was the largest, most powerful rocket ever launched.

With a cluster of five powerful engines in each of the first two stages and using high-performance liquid hydrogen fuel for the upper stages, the Saturn V was one of the great feats of 20th-century engineering. Inside, the rocket contained three million parts in a labyrinth of fuel lines, pumps, gauges, sensors, circuits, and switches--each of which had to function reliably, and did
."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MythicParty wrote:
Quote:
LH 1/1/10

These games aren't easy to design and produce. If all the details that go into one of these babies were tiny mechanical parts we'd have a machine that is no less complicated than that of a Saturn Moon rocket. That's not an excuse for less than perfection, but it is an observation.

shake

From NASA:

"The three-stage Saturn V was taller than a 36-story building. It was the largest, most powerful rocket ever launched.

With a cluster of five powerful engines in each of the first two stages and using high-performance liquid hydrogen fuel for the upper stages, the Saturn V was one of the great feats of 20th-century engineering. Inside, the rocket contained three million parts in a labyrinth of fuel lines, pumps, gauges, sensors, circuits, and switches--each of which had to function reliably, and did
."

Have you ever actually played Axis & Allies 1940 Global? I have, and I swear it must have at least four million parts!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.