Robert B
United States
Parsons
Kansas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My name is Joe Diamond. I’m a private eye. I don’t think anyone will believe me, but this is my story. I live and work in a small town named Arkham. Nice place – has a few shops, a wooded area, and a local university. Over the last few days, I’d picked up several rumors from the streets – rumors about some “Elder Thing” named Shub-Niggurath, the Black Goat of the Woods. Sounded like some locals had been hitting the wrong bottle. Therefore, I was unprepared when word came to the station that some strange gate had opened up at Unvisited Isle. This was too big of a job for me to handle alone. I called some of the other figures in town – the local author, the nun, the archeologist, the professor – but none were available. The only person I could find was Darrell Simmons, the local photographer. I enlisted him to help investigate these strange occurrences in Arkham.

I headed to the Curiosity Shoppe to try and find some tools to help us, but nothing useful turned up. Darrell went to Independence Square and found some gypsies, but left them alone. The locals said a Warlock had appeared in town. A Warlock?!? Had someone been playing too much D&D?! I headed to the University Science Building to find some clues. Darrell went to Hibb’s House and for some reason got into a drinking match. Unfortunately, he couldn’t hold his liquor, passed out and woke up on the street missing his bottle of Holy Water.

Meanwhile, word came that another weird gate had opened in the Woods. A cultist was seen in that area. Darrell went to fight the cultist and I decided to jump into the gate at Unvisited Isle and see where it went. I found myself at someplace called the Great Hall of Celeano. A new gate opened at the Graveyard and another cultist was roaming around town. A Great Ritual began at the French Hill area of town. In order to stop the disastrous culmination of the ritual, one of us would have to sacrifice three spells. This was bad news; neither Darrell nor I had any spells. Darrell headed to the Magick Shoppe to try and find some spells. While in the Great Hall of Celeano, I was able to find some secret lore in some mosaics and gain more clues about our situation.

Another gate opened at the Witch’s House. A period of Norden’s Favor began, which meant less clues were needed to seal the gates. I jumped out of the gate at Unvisited Isle, closed and sealed it forever.

Darrell had run out of money to buy spells. We decided to meet at Unvisited Isle so I could give him some money. While there, I overheard some cultists discussing their activities and gained some further insights and clues into the situation. Darrell was involved in a situation that tested his sanity, but gained a much needed spell! While this was happening, a gate opened at the Black Cave.

Joe and Darrell meet at Unvisited Isle to discuss strategy. What could go wrong?!?

I jumped through the gate and found myself at the City of the Great Race. While there, I was able to sneak an idol away from a sleeping horror. Darrell sacrificed his three spells in the French Hill Street and stopped the Great Ritual from destroying Arkham.

Darrell now had enough clues to seal a gate, so he jumped into one and found himself in the Dreamlands. While there he discovered some gold worth $2. I exited from a gate back into the Woods and closed and sealed the gate.

I headed to the Historical Society to see if they had any clues to help us. Darrell became trapped in a spider’s web in the Dreamlands, lost some sanity, and was delayed. When he eventually exited, he closed and sealed the gate.

Since things in the Other Worlds had gone well so far, I jumped into another gate into the Plateau of Ling. While there, peril cleared my mind and I felt myself grow saner.

Unfortunately, while all of this was going on, a Terrible Experiment went awry at the University. It was only a matter of time until horrible monsters would be unleashed on the streets of Arkham.

Another gate opened up at Independence Square. Who knows what happened to those gypsies that were camped out there. Darrell went and battled a Byakhee that was part of the University Terrible Experiment, to try and slow down the eventual unleashing of horrors. I closed and sealed a gate at the Witch House, then headed to the Historical Society to see if I could gain any clues. Darrell attempted to battle a Nightgaunt, but was driven insane by the horror. After a brief stay at the Asylum, we decided to meet at the Unvisited Isle again and coordinate strategy. While at the Isle, I was cursed and then had to head to South Church to have this curse removed. After this, the Terrible Experiment reached its end and the streets about the University filled with unnamable horrors (raising the terror track to 10!). Any allies that could have aided us in our fight left town and all the stores closed. Darrell and I were cut off from each other – I was stuck in the south side of town, he was in the north side and horde of monsters was in between.

Aftermath of the Terrible Experiment at the University

Darrell traveled to Hibb’s House to find some clues, but a gate opened on top of him and he was sucked through. I went to the Witch’s House and found a Silver Key. Dashing out of the house into the street, I killed a cultist with my pistol. I used the Key to sneak by some monsters and jumped into a gate to the City of the Great Race. Darrell exited from the Other World and closed his gate, but had to fight a Warlock. After killing the Warlock, he found some more clues.

Everything was looking at least somewhat hopeful when we received word that all of our Good Work Would Be Undone. It was only a matter of time until all of our sealed gates would be reopened. Our investigation had disclosed that if we sealed 6 gates, the town would be safe. But, we didn’t have enough clues to accomplish that and Good Work Undone needed clues. It would be a race to see what would happen first. I ran to the Science Building at the University to search for clues. Darrell went to the Police Station and searched through some of their files and found clues. He then went to try to slow down Good Work Undone. I had taken many hits to my vitality and sanity – I was just about dead, but had to jump into a gate to Yuggoth. While I was in the Other World, Darrell went insane and was transported the Asylum. Finally, I was able to jump out of the gate at the Graveyard and seal it forever. Our town was safe... For now...

Reactions: This was our first play of AH with only two players. Needless to say, it was tough. We finished with the Doom Track at 10 and the Terror Track at 10. The “bad things” that happen in the Mythos deck do not scale for the number of players. In the Terrible Experiment, it was extremely difficult to destroy 5 monsters in that many turns with only 2 players. Good Work Undone appeared at the very end of the game when we were low on clues. With 6 or 7 or 8 players, they could probably shed enough clues to empty the card and stop all the Elder Signs from being removed. With two players, it is very, very difficult. However, overall, it was a fun experience and a hard fought battle – winning with 2 players felt like a real accomplishment!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Edmonds
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Do you need more card ideas for the D&D Adventure System games?
mbmbmbmbmb
Well done. The game is hard with two players. I'm surprised you didn't awaken the Ancient One because of too many monsters when the Terror Level is 10 ((number of players + 3) * 2). It's a case described on page 20 of the rules.

Thanks for the "in character" game play reports. It makes it a lot more entertaining!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diogo Poupado
Portugal
Ourém
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe the monsters were "2 x (players+3)" but he forgot the AO would awaken

Very nice report, very well written. I had a game against the BGotW aswell. We were 2, playing 2 Investigators each. The game was going extremely well, until The Terrible Experiment was put into play... And to make it harder, 4 of the 5 monsters that we draw had 3 toughness (4 with AO's ability). So, we tried to fight them (bad decision) and were driven insane/unconscious several times, making us lose many of our items/clues that could have helped us during the final battle. In the end, we had 4 sealed gates, and the AO woke up with his doom track at only 6 cool
But because we had no items... We quickly got defeated. It was an unlucky match.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AsGSnak wrote:
In the end, we had 4 sealed gates, and the AO woke up with his doom track at only 6 cool

You know you're supposed to fill the doom track up, if the GOO didn't wake from the doom track filling, right?

Or another addition to your "Ongoing FAQ" thread ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diogo Poupado
Portugal
Ourém
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dam the Man wrote:
You know you're supposed to fill the doom track up, if the GOO didn't wake from the doom track filling, right?
Ahah, of course I know! That's one of the most important rules, even labeled as "Very Important" in the RuleBook
I only said I had only 6 DT to show you how well my game was going.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Parsons
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Well done. The game is hard with two players. I'm surprised you didn't awaken the Ancient One because of too many monsters when the Terror Level is 10 ((number of players + 3) * 2). It's a case described on page 20 of the rules.

Barteus (I mean Joe Diamond) and I were surprised we didn't awaken the Ancient one yesterday too, given how many monsters we had out on the board - especially in the Miskatonic Streets, thanks to a Mythos card. A couple of things helped us quite a bit, particularly toward the end of the game; the first one was the fact that a lot of the Mythos gates were opening on locations where gates had already been sealed. The other was an Environmental Mythos Card that kept the terror track from advancing (before it went to 10, thanks to the card Joe mentioned above). A couple times when we had monster surges, we were unaffected and the surge ended up helping us, due to the monsters being sent home. Lastly, we did not roll any Elder Signs from the unique deck, nor did either of us find one at the Curosity Shoppe. We were hoping to get a couple of doom markers off the Ancient One's track, but did not.

Good Session Report, Barteus!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert B
United States
Parsons
Kansas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Autoduelist wrote:
I'm surprised you didn't awaken the Ancient One because of too many monsters when the Terror Level is 10 ((number of players + 3) * 2). It's a case described on page 20 of the rules.

D'oh! Oh, yeah... THAT very important rule...
Looking back, I'm not sure if we had 10 monsters out at one time - with the results of the Terrible Experiment, it is very likely that happened. Good thing the Ancient One didn't notice! whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diogo Poupado
Portugal
Ourém
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
barteus wrote:
Good thing the Ancient One didn't notice! whistle
AHAH laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Mc Cabe
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
There are those who look at things the way they are and ask why . . . I dream of things that never were and ask why not
mbmbmbmbmb
Nicely-written session report. Very hard-fought battle.

I only count five seals. When Darrell was sucked in, did he have enough to seal? You only mention that he closed.

Noden's Favor always helps. You don't say when it went away. Did you get more help than with just one gate?

Brian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Parsons
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I only count five seals. When Darrell was sucked in, did he have enough to seal? You only mention that he closed.

No, I (Darrell) didn't have enough clues tokens to seal the gate I was sucked through at the Roadhouse, I merely closed it. However, I did seal a gate a few turns before with five tokens (the benefit from the Environmental Mythos had dissappeared by then). Barteus, I mean, Joe, closed the last gate and "won" our somewhat "cheated" victory.

If I remember right, we were only allowed the benefit of Noden's Favor for one gate, closing it with three clues. Is that correct, Bart?

This was roughly our 5th. time to play Arkham after I got it and the first time with only 2 investigators. I recently got the "Curse of the Dark Pharo" expansion, and we've only played with it added in once with 5 of us. Perhaps next time we attempt a 2-player game, we'll double up on investigators. I've seen where most people do that.

We had a feeling we were cheating somehow in our favor, and we might not have caught the number of monsters that ended up coming out in the Miskatonic Streets. All in all, we had a good afternoon away from the wives and we appreciate all of the comments!

Vito

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert B
United States
Parsons
Kansas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We only had Norden's Favor for one gate. I was sorry to see it go. Later we had a Mythos card that stated the terror track could not increase. That was also very welcome, as we cleared the outskirts a few times!

apatheticexecutioner wrote:
I only count five seals.

We did close and seal 6 gates - I took 3 pages of notes, but toward the end of the game, the action was so frantic - monsters roamed the streets freely, we were both almost out of stamina and sanity, and we were so close to either winning or losing - I may have skipped some note-taking! All-in-all it was a great experience and shows the strengths of Arkham Horror as a game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Duroni
United States
Parsons
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
well done boys. Nice session report as usual rob. I want to play next time. You guys should never have to play two player. Give me a call.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Parsons
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good to see the Mountain Man got his computer going. Wait a minute, do mountain men typically use computers??

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.