Dominion: Intrigue» Forums » Rules

Subject: Why is Tribute not an attack card? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt Stille
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
I've been playing a lot of Dominion lately with my family during Christmas and New Year's. We've been playing with regular Dominion, Intrigue, and the 2 promo cards. We have a lot of fun but a question came up while we were playing. Tribute makes the player to your left discard the top two cards of his/her deck and then you get actions, coin, or +cards depending on what is discarded. Why is this card not an Action-Attack card? Thief and Spy are Action-Attack cards that make other players reveal/discard/trash the top card(s) of their deck. I'm just wondering why it isn't considered an Attack card. Is the definition of an Attack card in Dominion a card that affects all of the other players and not just one? The main reason we came up with the question is because the Moat was in the game and since Tribute doesn't have Attack on the card; we came to the conclusion that Moat doesn't stop Tribute. In my opinion, I think Tribute should be an attack card even though it only affects one player's deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1603-1714
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
Now I can add text to my avatar? Sweet! How do I do it?
mbmbmbmbmb
This has come up a few times and I believe the designer has even given an official answer somewhere. You are correct that part of the reason Tribute isn't an attack card is because it affects only one player, but the card also has the potential to help an opponent by allowing him to move through his deck more quickly.

The card Masquerade is another one that people have question whether or not it is an attack card. If your interested, I'm sure you could find some discussion on both these cards in the Intrigue forums.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
On average, the Tribute card is not harmful to the player it affects. It wouldn't be in the game if it were (since Donald doesn't want to have cards that just attack one player).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wolfe
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Zendo fan, Columbus Blue Jackets fan, Dominion Fan.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mwsmoat wrote:
Is the definition of an Attack card in Dominion a card that affects all of the other players and not just one?

The definition of an Attack card is one that says "Attack" at the bottom. Seriously.

A big reason Tribute and Masquerade are not Attack cards is that they would be unwieldy to resolve with Reaction cards. As was mentioned with Tribute, the cards are generally neutral-to-positive to the other players, so it's really not worth the trouble.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald X.
United States
flag msg tools
designer
mwsmoat wrote:
I've been playing a lot of Dominion lately with my family during Christmas and New Year's. We've been playing with regular Dominion, Intrigue, and the 2 promo cards. We have a lot of fun but a question came up while we were playing. Tribute makes the player to your left discard the top two cards of his/her deck and then you get actions, coin, or +cards depending on what is discarded. Why is this card not an Action-Attack card? Thief and Spy are Action-Attack cards that make other players reveal/discard/trash the top card(s) of their deck. I'm just wondering why it isn't considered an Attack card. Is the definition of an Attack card in Dominion a card that affects all of the other players and not just one? The main reason we came up with the question is because the Moat was in the game and since Tribute doesn't have Attack on the card; we came to the conclusion that Moat doesn't stop Tribute. In my opinion, I think Tribute should be an attack card even though it only affects one player's deck.

The reason I didn't make it an attack was because it didn't seem at all attacky. Some people feel like it's hurting them, but on average it isn't. It would just be weird to have it be an attack.

Functionally it's not an attack because it doesn't say "attack" on the bottom line. That's what attacks are: cards that say "attack" on the bottom line. By convention the cards that hurt other players all say "attack," and the other cards don't, but that's just a convention; either it says attack or it doesn't. I can respond with Secret Chamber to a Minion, even if it's just used to make $, but I can't Secret Chamber a Masquerade, no matter how much it's going to hurt me.

Previous thread: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/424108/tribute-should-it...

I didn't note last time that if you could actually Moat a Tribute, wouldn't that just suck for the person playing Tribute? Tribute is all upside - you sure aren't playing it to flip over two cards. When they Moat your Witch, you still get 2 cards, but if they could Moat Tribute, ouch.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hawks
United States
Apple Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
donaldx wrote:
I didn't note last time that if you could actually Moat a Tribute, wouldn't that just suck for the person playing Tribute? Tribute is all upside - you sure aren't playing it to flip over two cards. When they Moat your Witch, you still get 2 cards, but if they could Moat Tribute, ouch.

Saboteur works exactly this way, though. Granted, it affects all players, and depending on the number of players, the odds of everyone having a Moat are significantly lower.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberta Yang
msg tools
Salt-Man Z wrote:
Saboteur works exactly this way, though. Granted, it affects all players, and depending on the number of players, the odds of everyone having a Moat are significantly lower.

Yes, but that is because Saboteur is a purely offensive card; the whole point of the card is to hurt other players. Tribute, if it can be said to hurt other players at all, does so only as the most minor of side-effects, and is used not to mill the left-hand opponent's deck but to get the +Actions/Money/Cards. Blocking the Tribute would deny Tribute's user those benefits, whereas a player using Saboteur would be expecting no such benefits anyhow.

A better analogy is Thief, since Thief both gives direct benefits to the user (whereas the Saboteur merely gives detriments to the opponents) but does nothing at all if everyone reveals a Moat. However, this is different because the Thief is zero-sum - its user can gain only what the opponents lose - whereas Tribute is not zero-sum - its user gains significant benefits and the opponent loses virtually nothing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
Moved to: Dominion: Intrigue » Forums » Rules

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.