Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
6 Posts

Tacticum» Forums » Rules

Subject: Tacticum Flaw - unbeatable defense :: Need your feedback on the correction. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tony Ripley
United States
Birmingham
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks to the correspondence and feedback from players it has been confirmed that, under the current movement and capture rules, there is an type of wedge formation that a defender can establish such that none of their pieces can be captured and/or the opponent can be blocked from their objective.

I would like to get some more feedback on the way to correct this. I'll submit some pictures tonight so they should be available to this thread Monday to use as examples of the "wedge defense".

Option 1: Column formation can capture any single opponent Unit that is within it's movement range. Presently other than the mobility benefit, the column formation can only capture when "breaking" an opponents square formation.
PRO: breaks wedge defense, columns can be easier to assemble than squares.
CON: I would need additional rules for column vs. column

Option 2: Cavalry units. I was not going to introduce cavalry until the next generation Tacticum as I am still refining their abilities and movement. In there current form they would not always be able to break a wedge.
PRO: expanse the possibilities for training scenarios
CON: just like coding programs - each time you introduce something new, the chances of creating more "bugs"(rules problems) goes up.

Option 3: ??

thanks for your help and caring enough to write!

Onward,
Tony

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Tavener
United Kingdom
London
England
flag msg tools
designer
The overtext below is true.
badge
The overtext above is false.
mbmbmbmbmb
My vote is for option 1: as well as (hopefully) addressing the issue, it should make the game more dynamic.

If a column can capture any piece, I don't see that a column vs column rule is required?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Ripley
United States
Birmingham
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mrraow wrote:
...If a column can capture any piece, I don't see that a column vs column rule is required?

So the advantage goes to the attacker.
I guess by the column vs. column situation I was looking for any kind of defense against a column...

this would almost be like when columns of equal size are pushing they cancel out. somewhat like the pushing moves in Abalone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Ripley
United States
Birmingham
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Option 1 it is!arrrh

I was able to get a good bit of play testing done at the "Siege of Augusta" Convention this past weekend. We played multiple scenarios as well and the rules held well - the Column did not become to powerful because of its basic defensive weakness.

We even held our first tournament!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chema
Spain
León
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's the best option. In fact, I wouldn't like columns in any other way. If they are a powerful attack formation, they surely can kill a single (and less powerful) unit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Ripley
United States
Birmingham
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Chema, have you been playing? would be glad to hear more. I am having great fun developing the "super"Tacticum and hope to have the rules out this year.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.