• [+] Dice rolls
Tim Fiscus
United States
Maricopa
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Super review- very valuable for me. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Meyer
United States
Elkhart
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice review, thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Mead
United States
Surprise
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've never played Pillars of the Earth or this game, but I have read both books. They are some of the best page turners I have ever read. I highly recommend it, especially if you enjoy historical fiction!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Gallagher
United States
Fort Lee
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tom,

Can you comment on how the game is with two players instead of the full compliment of four?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Vasel
United States
Homestead
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
Love Games, Love 'Em!!!
badge
Check out DiceTower.com!
mbmbmbmbmb
It's okay. The mechanic with the card at the beginning isn't as interesting. I like it with 2, but would never suggest it - I'd much rather play it with three or four.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt R
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
All life is only a set of pictures in the brain, among which there is no difference betwixt those born of real things and those born of inward dreamings, and no cause to value the one above the other.
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, Tom. The card placement mechanic is kinda neat. I'd be interested in your take on the randomness knock on the game. I read somewhere that you can plan to make a move like build a building only to be prevented from building on a turn due to an event card, and consequently, the luck of the event cards determine the victor. I'm still on the fence about the game as a result.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jennifer Schlickbernd
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
enzo622 wrote:
Thanks, Tom. The card placement mechanic is kinda neat. I'd be interested in your take on the randomness knock on the game. I read somewhere that you can plan to make a move like build a building only to be prevented from building on a turn due to an event card, and consequently, the luck of the event cards determine the victor. I'm still on the fence about the game as a result.

This is exactly what happened in the game I played. In my opinion, it's far more random than Pillars with the expansion (about the same without the expansion). I was very disappointed with the game.

I loved the book Pillars of the Earth but haven't had a chance to read the second one yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Sosa
United States
Newark
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
I will break him.
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent video review Tom. That rotating card mechanic is interesting. I did enjoy Pillars, although the whole build a church thing doesn't get me ;-). Perhaps this one is more atuned to my sensibilities!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Taylor-Smith
Canada
Okotoks
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
After a few games my group did find the endgame more interesting as the certain strategies came to the fore. Hiding hoarded gold and to a lesser extent favour behind the shield led to some unexpected wins. We found the games to be close so the 3 points for the tower cap and the half victory points for gold shouldn't be underestimated. Cornering the corn and piety takes time but can pay off in Chapters 3 and 4 when your opponents not only lose victory points but actions as well. Cornering piety works better because of the Bishop.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Teik Chooi Oh
United Kingdom
Chorley
Lancashire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Another great Tom Vasel review, thanks. Personally, I am not a fan of Pillars (bit better with expansion and I would play it but not my top choice) but am intrigued by this game and like the mechanic better overall.

So a game to add to my 'must check out' list. Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Lister
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice review.

Played for the first time yesterday and loved it - though the events did seem to determine play. I imagine that will change with greater knowledge of the events deck.

I have one minor point re the review. You describe the acquisition of piety as an odd concept thematically. I disagree with this as in the the Middle Ages the church was a central part of secular and economic life. You had to get on with the clergy to get on .,and the churchs officials held sway over many parts of every day life, look at Chaucer's The Pardoner asnd The Summoner for example. So i see 'piety' as influence with the church
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, but his issue was receiving piety as *rent* for owning a building.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You could be allowing members of the clergy to abide in one of your abodes rent free! The tougher concept in Euros is the almighty "Victory Point". What can these possibly be in life and where do I find them?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Dennis
United States
Pawleys Island
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
UnknownParkerBrother wrote:
Maybe you let monks live there?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Squatting Monkey wrote:
The tougher concept in Euros is the almighty "Victory Point". What can these possibly be in life and where do I find them?

I"m not 100% sure, but folks seem to try to win them in internet discussions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Perschbacher
United States
Phoenix
AZ
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tom, where do you get those plastic petri dish-like containers for your bits. I can't find that kind of thing anywhere cry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Mikula
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
UnknownParkerBrother wrote:

Four months late, I know, but I suspect that the idea here is that the rent is being paid to the church. As I recall (and yes, I've read both books) the priory was pretty well entrenched in the economy of the town. I don't specifically remember if it owned and rented residences to the townspeople, but it would not be at all unusual for it to do so.

As I reread the complaint it seems maybe this doesn't apply, but the point still holds that finances and the state of your immortal soul were much more linked in this time period than they are today.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zev Neumark-Gaudet
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
eluvitar wrote:
Tom, where do you get those plastic petri dish-like containers for your bits. I can't find that kind of thing anywhere cry

Pandemic's expansion On the Brink comes with them...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blake Morris
United States
Henrico
Virginia
flag msg tools
This size viola da gamba is like a cello with frets. I started playing at age 48.
mbmbmbmbmb
These containers are available in at least two sizes from large craft stores. They come in stacks of four to six and screw together. They are used to hold beads or other craft items.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.