Popular Tags: [View All]
Richard Hutnik
United States
Albany
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Fox is going to be having a TV show called "Our Little Genius" up soon. I hope this takes off. In it, genius kids answer progressively harder questions, and the parents decide whether to continue or stop. It has been said to be the opposite of "Are You Smarter than a Fifth Grader". Info on it is here:
http://www.fox50.com/generic/on_demand/Our_Little_Genius

A reason why I hope the show takes off is that we stand a better chance of braininess being seen as cool and getting more such programming. Then, we have a better chance of boardgames on TV and hopefully they stick.

Well, call it a hope on my part.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Needle
Australia
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Or it could show pushy parents of "so called genius kids" a la

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat T
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
docreason wrote:
Fox is going to be having a TV show called "Our Little Genius" up soon. I hope this takes off. In it, genius kids answer progressively harder questions, and the parents decide whether to continue or stop. It has been said to be the opposite of "Are You Smarter than a Fifth Grader". Info on it is here:
http://www.fox50.com/generic/on_demand/Our_Little_Genius

A reason why I hope the show takes off is that we stand a better chance of braininess being seen as cool and getting more such programming. Then, we have a better chance of boardgames on TV and hopefully they stick.

Well, call it a hope on my part.

While I agree with you on TV portraying smartness and scholastic endeavors as cool, this show sounds kinda sketchy! "The parents decide whether to continue or stop" I can see this as way too much pressure to put on a kid - genius or not. Kinda like the hockey dads, or the beauty pageant moms .....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Salamone
United States
Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Aggravating people worldwide since 1964
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with Pat T. Some of these kids are bound to end up on Dr. Phil.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bradley Hendricks
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Whether I agree or not still withheld, I think allowing the parents to make the final decision takes a lot of pressure off the kids. In a way, that makes success the kids doing, and failure the fault of the parent. I know as a kid, I'd have preferred it that way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Salamone
United States
Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bjhendricks wrote:
Whether I agree or not still withheld, I think allowing the parents to make the final decision takes a lot of pressure off the kids. In a way, that makes success the kids doing, and failure the fault of the parent. I know as a kid, I'd have preferred it that way.

But don't you think some kids will feel they let their parents down if they can't answer the question?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgan Dontanville
United States
Charlottesville
VA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Plate of Shrimp.
badge
Here we are folks, the dream we all dream of.
mbmbmbmbmb
People will watch it to see kids cry.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Salamone
United States
Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sisteray wrote:
People will watch it to see kids cry.

I may watch it to see the parents cry.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bradley Hendricks
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
joe_salamone wrote:
bjhendricks wrote:

But don't you think some kids will feel they let their parents down if they can't answer the question?

Depends on the kid and parents, I suppose. But pressure is part of life, too - something you have to learn to deal with. Of course... most kids don't have to deal with pressure in front of millions of viewers with hundreds of thousands of dollars on the line...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob
United States
30° 12′ 38″ N, 95° 45′ 2″ W
flag msg tools
badge
You can't rob Peter, Paul and Mary to pay yourself.
mbmbmbmbmb
Once again, a unique word like "genius" is degraded by mass media. Memorizing facts does not make one a genius.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Fiscus
United States
Maricopa
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sinister Dexter wrote:
Once again, a unique word like "genius" is degraded by mass media. Memorizing facts does not make one a genius.

Uh-oh. What about memorizing rule books?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Salamone
United States
Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This sort of an ironic story about memorizing rather than learning: In my senior year of college I took Becker's CPA review course to prepare for the CPA exam (about 7 or 8 hours every Saturday in a big classroom listening to a reel-to-reel tape supplemented by a live instructor . . . zzzzzzzzzz). Anyway, the major philosophy of this course is to MEMORIZE EVERYTHING . . . DON'T TRY TO LEARN IT. They provided dozens of mnemonics and other techniques for memorizing things that would likely be on the exam. I was sort of shocked by this approach . . . but I passed the exam the first time I took it. I'm so ashamed. soblue
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Heidenreich
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
MilwaukeeTEG
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
joe_salamone wrote:
This sort of an ironic story about memorizing rather than learning: In my senior year of college I took Becker's CPA review course to prepare for the CPA exam (about 7 or 8 hours every Saturday in a big classroom listening to a reel-to-reel tape supplemented by a live instructor . . . zzzzzzzzzz). Anyway, the major philosophy of this course is to MEMORIZE EVERYTHING . . . DON'T TRY TO LEARN IT. They provided dozens of mnemonics and other techniques for memorizing things that would likely be on the exam. I was sort of shocked by this approach . . . but I passed the exam the first time I took it. I'm so ashamed. soblue

Gastr, Gas Truck, Stomach.

Medical terminology memorization course. Still know that line after 15 years.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AMERIGAMER!
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Whose picking the hosts for these game shows anyway? Bob Saget is as funny as cardiac arrest!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blorb Plorbst
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
I think we're all bozos on this bus.
mbmbmb
Bob Saget is actually hilarious when he's on stage and free to work with his own material. I know there's some good youtube of his standup but it's blocked at work.

It's unfortunate the TV turned him into pablum but I'm sure his bankbook doesn't mind.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I awoke this morning to the first wet dream I've experienced in years. I've really got to get this old bladder-infected cat to the vet.
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I think that all right-thinking people in this country are sick and tired of being told that ordinary, decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am.
mbmbmbmbmb
bop517 wrote:
joe_salamone wrote:

Gastr, Gas Truck, Stomach.

Medical terminology memorization course. Still know that line after 15 years.

I still remember one of the mnemonics from my college Historical Geology course from 30 years ago:

"Camels often sit down carefully. Perhaps their joints creak. Possibly early oiling might prevent permanent rheumatism."

The first letter of each word stands for one of the geologic time periods, in order. Let's see if I remember the details:

Cambrian, Ordovician, Silurian, Devonian, Carboniferous, Permian. (Paleozoic era)
Triassic, Jurassic, Cretaceous. (Mesozoic era)
Paleocene, Eocene, Oligocene, Miocene, Pliocene, Pleistocene, Recent. (Cenozoic era)

These names are somewhat different outside the US.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Salamone
United States
Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I had an anthropology teacher is high school who taught us these:

* "Era, toss the knees" (for Eratosthenes)

* "Pithy can't rope us, he wrecked us" (for Pithycanthropus Erectus)

I still remember these after almost 30 years. They have done me absolutely no good in my life.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob
United States
30° 12′ 38″ N, 95° 45′ 2″ W
flag msg tools
badge
You can't rob Peter, Paul and Mary to pay yourself.
mbmbmbmbmb
The show has been cancelled by Fox before it has aired. Here's a commentary from CNN's TV writer James Dinan:

The ethics of 'Our Little Genius'

A few months back, I wrote about a new game show from Fox called "Our Little Genius." . I expressed concern that the show would exploit the pre-teen contestants, but I pledged to watch at least one episode before passing final judgment. Now, it seems that won't happen.

Less than a week before its premiere, Fox pulled the plug on "Our Little Genius." According to series creator Mark Burnett, he had concerns over, in his words, "how some information was relayed to contestants during pre-production." Burnett says he will produce new episodes, but Fox has not decided whether those new shows will air.

So what was this "information" that caused this sudden change of heart from Burnett and Fox? Some are speculating that the contestants may have been privy to some of the questions they would be asked before the taping. Others are suggesting the contestants were given the answers to the questions - a clear violation of federal law banning the fixing of game shows.

Still others note that the decision came just hours after the New York Times published a story expressing concerns about the show's production, including the practice of taping multiple endings in case a contestant missed a question. That practice alone marks the hallmark of a "reality" show producer like Burnett, who should stick to what he knows best and stay out of the game show genre.

In 2006, I attended the annual Game Show Congress event in Burbank, California. The Congress honors the past, present and future of the game show genre, and brings together the personalities that make game shows exciting. Among the events I attended was an informal chat with such game show personalities as Jack Narz (host of the original "Now You See It" and other shows), Burton Richardson (the voice of "Family Feud") and Johnny Gilbert (the voice of "Jeopardy!").

All three agreed that the classic game show worked because of its simplicity, as well as the natural spontaneity shown by the contestants, panelists and hosts. When the contestant knew he or she won the car or big money, the reaction to the win was real - no one needed to be coached on how to react or what to do.

Reading about "Our Little Genius" and its fallout made me look back at that Burbank talk. Are we so unsure of what spontaneity is that we have to over-script it all, from the first question asked to how we should react to defeat?

"Our Little Genius," in its original form, was no game show. It was an over-produced, over-scripted affair from a "reality" maven who knows very little about how the genre works."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Some game shows give the questions to the contestants and/or celebrities before the show in order to help them prepare joke answers, or funny comments. Hollywood Squares does this and is really a comedy show more than anything.

I'm not surprised the were going to give the kids a heads-up to some of the questions.

It is entertainment/$$ first and foremost, what producers feel will sell the public and the sponsors. Ethics and fairness are blurred quite a lot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Hutnik
United States
Albany
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Frak! And I held out for the NARROW hope that MAYBE this could some day lead to boardgame stuff (and puzzle solving) getting televised and we get a boardgame version of the poker book.

PLEASE don't mock this, it was a hope.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris B
United States
Oxford
Mississippi
flag msg tools
Hotty Toddy Rebels!
badge
Lets go Blues!
mbmbmbmbmb
Bad Boys Rape Our Young Girls But Violet Gives Willingly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.