Popular Tags: [View All]
Caleb
United States
Seminole
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, I thought I knew this, but after reading it in the rules again I'm not sure. Where can the Romans move when submission forces them out of a subject area? The rules say they go "to the region they came from, or any wholly-Roman occupied region" (I'm quoting from memory but I'm certain the "any wholly-Roman occupied" is correct).

This would appear to mean those legions could go to the region they came from, or could "warp" to any Roman region on the entire board. It technically probably means that if the Romans got there via an overrun of a different nation, they could return to that region (where the battle is still unfought) and participate in that combat.

I doubt either one of those interpretations is the intent; I figure it must mean they have to go back to the region they came from, or if they can't (due to unfought battle, enemy-occupied, or occupied by subject nation) they can go to any *adjacent* Roman region. But it doesn't take much ingenuity to imagine a scenario where neither of those options is possible.

In light of the "Roman Roads" rule in the 2nd edition Britannia, I would say they definitely can't go to a region with a pending battle, but they should be able to literally go to *any* Roman occupied region on the entire board, regardless of distance.

Thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
Crystal Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Which edition are you referring to? If it's the AH edition, then they either return to the area they came from or they go to any adjacent Roman area, based on the AH rulings.

If you're referring to the FFG edition, then it's the region they came from, any adjacent Roman area (if that isn't available), or any adjacent unoccupied area. However, if the area the withdraw to contains a Roman Fort, then they may use road movement to reach any other area connected by roads (no other form of movement allowed. So if you submit the Brigantes in Strathclyde and have a chain of roads that gets you to Kent, you could theoretically withdraw to a fort in that chain and keep on truckin' all the way to the south coast.

I believe that the Gibson's version did have rulings that allowed "teleporting," but I've never played that version, myself, so I wouldn't count on that being accurate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caleb
United States
Seminole
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Per my post subject, AH edition.

What AH "rulings" - was it errata in the General or something? It's certainly not clear from the actual rules.

I'll play "any adjacent area".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.