Subject: A Four Year Old's Perspective rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: Family [+] [View All]
Patrick McInally
Canada
Etobicoke
Ontario
flag msg tools
When playing a game, the goal is to win, but it is the goal that is important, not the winning
badge
Rust monsters: separating the wheat from the chaff since 1976.
mbmbmbmbmb
My friends Ada and her four year old son, Eli, dropped by today to pass a bit of time and play some games. Looking at the game shelf and pointing on high, Eli declared "I want to play the blue one with the star!"

Given that the blue edge of the Twilight Struggle box was currently facing out, he could mean but one game and one thing: Eli had a hankering to re-enact the Cold War. I was to match wits with a four year old in a battle for the ages!

We chose sides, Eli as the "blue team", me the "red team". We picked up our appropriately coloured dice.

I flipped the first card: a 4! We rolled, and I came up short! A 3! Drats! Eli, his impetuous strategy already paying dividends, rolled a 4 to match the card! Victory!

My wily opponent cheered, and demanded we flip again: a 1! What a challenge! We rolled, this time tying, each scoring a 3... a re-roll was essential. This time, despite myself, I scored a narrow victory, my 2 being closer to 1 than his 4. Success!

Now, this tense game tied 1-1, we went into the Sudden Death Round.

A Scoring Card! No number! This meant we had to flip TWO cards, a 2 and a 4! We each rolled twice and, the little genius, he got a 2 and a 4! A crushing victory! The Americans had just won the Cold War, sending my poor Commies back to the frozen wastes of Siberia. Despair!

Thus ended Eli's first foray into the depths and joys of this amazing game. He declared it "fun". I think we'll play again next time, though my mind boggles at how I might break down his seemingly impenetrable defense.

Moral of the story? When a child asks to play a game -- any game -- you play. Just play. Fudge the rules. Change the rules. Make up new rules. Ignore the rules. Whatever.

Just play.

(For the record, I made no reference to "war" at all,for those who might find the concept of a 4 year old playing a wargame offensive. Not that Twilight Struggle is a wargame, of course.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ŁṲÎS̈
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
F*** it! Do it LIVE!
badge
Didn't know what to spend all this sweet GG on, so I bought the overtext.
mbmbmbmbmb
Great session report!

Sobriquet wrote:

(For the record, I made no reference to "war" at all,for those who might find the concept of a 4 year old playing a wargame offensive. Not that Twilight Struggle is a wargame, of course.)

That would actually bother someone?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick McInally
Canada
Etobicoke
Ontario
flag msg tools
When playing a game, the goal is to win, but it is the goal that is important, not the winning
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
monteslu wrote:
Great session report!

Sobriquet wrote:

That would actually bother someone?

Some people, yeah -- many parents have pretty strong ideas on when and how a child learns certain concepts. I'm not a parent, so I wasn't about to deign to make that choice for someone else. For the record, though, while Ada didn't really want me bringing up "war" as a concept it isn't because she doesn't want Eli exposed to the idea, just that it wasn't the right time or situation to tackle such an issue. To a certain extent, I think she was buffering me from the responsibility. Eli is a very inquisitive child.

Parents have a tough job, indeed -- I'm glad that, when it comes to kids, I just get to play!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaiah Tanenbaum
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't believe I paid $40 for such a simple game. I'm also ashamed that I'm still so confused by the rules.

Great report!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Matthews
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sobriquet wrote:
My friends Ada and her four year old son, Eli, dropped by today to pass a bit of time and play some games. Looking at the game shelf and pointing on high, Eli declared "I want to play the blue one with the star!"

Given that the blue edge of the Twilight Struggle box was currently facing out, he could mean but one game and one thing: Eli had a hankering to re-enact the Cold War. I was to match wits with a four year old in a battle for the ages!

We chose sides, Eli as the "blue team", me the "red team". We picked up our appropriately coloured dice.

Good lord man, a 4 year old's first game and you made him play the Americans? Ruthless.

Jason
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Moura
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You should have posted this in the variants folder!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick McInally
Canada
Etobicoke
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JasonMatthews wrote:
Sobriquet wrote:

Good lord man, a 4 year old's first game and you made him play the Americans? Ruthless.

Jason

Ruthless? I think he just wanted to give me a sporting chance!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick McInally
Canada
Etobicoke
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Epee wrote:
You should have posted this in the variants folder!

Makes me think that, while I generally don't like "jr" games, a "Twilight Struggle Jr." is very much warranted!

You should get on that, Mr. Matthews
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Aubert
France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A basic rule that all games should have :
Rules aren't set on stone, play as you like.

I was surprise by the title of this report, thinking : "Wow, is this 4yo is already at MENSA ?"

But no: excellent example of how having fun and make playful child happy ... I'll try to remember this for my futur nephews.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam O'Brien
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Even Cleverer Overtext
badge
Every time someone activates this overtext, it takes a year off my life. Hover often please!
mbmbmbmbmb
JasonMatthews wrote:

Jason

If this is the deluxe edition, with Chinese Civil War and the optional cards we are talking about, they should be pretty even, right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Rayburn
United States
Cleveland
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As a father of a game loving five year old, I whole heartedly agree with this. I am constantly trying to get Avery to play my "big boy" games (as he calls them). We just play with whatever rules he can understand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mendon Dornbrook
United States
Phoenix
AZ
flag msg tools
"Go with the grace and protection of the Lord." It's the usual mantra for the big hero.
badge
The ticket to the future is always open.
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome. Excellent session report and an inspiration.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Hills
Canada
Saskatoon
SK
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sobriquet wrote:
(For the record, I made no reference to "war" at all,for those who might find the concept of a 4 year old playing a wargame offensive. Not that Twilight Struggle is a wargame, of course.)[/size]

How else can we teach our children that some people need killin'?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick McInally
Canada
Etobicoke
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fenedin wrote:
Sobriquet wrote:
(For the record, I made no reference to "war" at all,for those who might find the concept of a 4 year old playing a wargame offensive. Not that Twilight Struggle is a wargame, of course.)[/size]

How else can we teach our children that some people need killin'?

By observing the holiday stampedes at a Walmart superstore?

And thanks everyone for the kudos and thumbs -- didn't expect it. I actually kinda thought I was going to get slagged for very idea that this would count as a session report for a game as rich as TS. Very glad that didn't happen!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heroic Monkey
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Your son executed some really nice plays. Sorry, but I don't think you ever stood a chance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick McInally
Canada
Etobicoke
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Game Guardian wrote:
Your son executed some really nice plays. Sorry, but I don't think you ever stood a chance.

*Chuckles* yeah, he's a wily kid, that one! Not my son, though -- I'm just good friends with his parents

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Pank
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Eli's obviously been working on his technique. Aren't slacking off, are we?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.