D-Day at Omaha Beach» Forums » Sessions

Subject: A hero's tale. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: Session [+] DECISION [+] WW2-EUR [+] [View All]
Australia
Sebastopol (Ballarat)
Victoria
flag msg tools
That's Karl on the left. Eternity on the right.
badge
I love Melissa, but don't tell her. It's a secret if she can find this. Shhhhh....
mbmbmbmbmb
A hero's tale.

Hi.

My name is Lt. Jonathan Smith, member of the 116th, Echo company.

It was a bit after oh six hundred and the first of our landing craft dropped some DD Shermans on the beach. The bullets and shells made a dreadful noise around me and soon the doors of my boat opened…

We raced for the shore as quickly as possible. Beside me was my buddy Pete, but he didn’t make it to shore. A lot of my company never even made it to the shore. We were taking lots of fire from the Widerstandsnester. Our craft took a direct hit, I don’t know if everyone got out.

By the time I reached the shore, we already lost the equivalent of a whole platoon.

Our landing craft landed a mile or two east of where it was supposed to. We were in the middle of 1st Division territory, somewhere on Easy Beach.

Taking heavy fire I used our radio to bring in an early naval barrage against WN 62N. While the enemy was disrupted we raced across the beach.

The bunker was recovering, but with support of some nearby armour we attacked.

The Germans were dug in deep. We needed a mortar which we didn’t have, so I grabbed a couple grenades and charged the position. Suppressed by our Sherman’s MG fire, I made it close enough to eliminate the German depth. Although the bunker was still far from clear.

Some men from Foxtrot of the 2/16th and some Shermans advanced to join us.

Capturing the North bunker, we climbed the slope to advance on the South bunker. But we were unable to take it out on our own.

We began to advance into the high ground as German fire was minimal. Leaving the WN to be captured by 1st division.

News on the radio reported General Wyman had landed and was organising the troops still on the beach.

Soon, Alpha company (of the 16th) joined us in a flanking manoeuvre of the German replacement position.

We spotted some enemies in the buildings overlooking the draw. Aided by alpha we captured them. Draw E-3 was ours!

We continued to advance up the draw and all the low ground was under our control.

I glanced at my watch. It was 1000. Although capturing the draw, sporadic German gunfire was still present from some German reinforcement positions. Our engineers would be in danger if they began operations already.

Casualties were high, we effectively lost 4 and 6 companies from the 1st and 29th respectively.

We were unable to take enough of the beach to push forward any further. The lucky ones began to bandage their wounds.

For today, our attack at Normandy was over.

At West Beach

0645 Advancing on the Draw

0715 Making Progress

0730 Major landing floods the beach and charges!

0830 Heavy casualties at the Draw.

Gen. Cota pushes into the high Cota

Aftermath

I was hoping I’d have enough of the beach captured to continue into the high ground. But controlling equals free from German gunfire, and the draw just wasn’t quite! The 1st captured 5 Victory hexes, while the 29th only obtained 2!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drake Coker
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
This is my tank for Combat Commander
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey look at those clipped counters

I just finished my second game (still on the intro scenario). No heros all game and no undamaged tanks upon landing. 9 VP going into the last turn, when a reinforcement event dropped it to 3 VP. Fun, but difficult game!

Thanks for your write-ups, Randy. I really enjoy them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Langdon
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Magic stuff. Yeah my first game i've pushed for a draw and not quite cleared it for turn 16, very difficult to clear a draw in that time without constantly sparking up nearest reinforcements.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hugh Grotius
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great stuff! Thanks for posting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.