Popular Tags: [View All]
suPUR DUEper
United States
Villa Hills
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey All,

Have played Twilight Struggle a fair number of times and if asked to rate my understanding of the cards I would respond that I had a good understanding. And yet.... it always seems that I find some card that I have been playing wrong all these times.

My most recent revelation was Flower Power. We never took the time to read it closely until recently and then realized that the US player gets hit for the VP loss regardless of whether he plays it as Ops or an event (duh).

So, my questions to you my esteemed colleagues: What cards have you (or others) played incorrectly the first x times you played the game? Which cards gave you the biggest "Ah Ha!" moment when you realized the true power of the card?.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Железный комиссар
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One of the only cards I know I played wrong at one point is Shuttle Diplomacy. The official ruling is that it breaks control, which matters a lot.

I'm kind of a junkie for all the subtle clarifications. I used to reread the collected rulings for fun. blush

Edit: and Junta, apparently. laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick McInally
Canada
Etobicoke
Ontario
flag msg tools
When playing a game, the goal is to win, but it is the goal that is important, not the winning
badge
Rust monsters: separating the wheat from the chaff since 1976.
mbmbmbmbmb
Junta (#47) -- we at first thought that the "free" coup meant it wouldn't degrade DEFCON (also applies to other "free coup" cards). We also understood it as ONE realignment or one coup, although that's been "clarified" (I consider it an "errata", but that's just splitting hairs). JohnRayJr did, in fact, get this one "wrong" -- I know, because I just read the thread

Grain Sales to Soviets (#67) -- even posted a thread about it. I had egg on my face.

I'm sure there are others, but these two stick out for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Sherlock
United States
Anaheim Hills
California
flag msg tools
badge
Admin @ www.cigargeeks.com
mbmbmbmbmb
NATO - didn't realize that it only applied to US controlled countries.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Martyn
United States
Guilford
VT
flag msg tools
EXCELSIOR!!!
badge
ZOMGALOMES!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
My first few games I didn't realize that Quagmire/Bear Trap took up your entire turn -- I thought that you discarded a card, rolled the die, and then went ahead and played a card as normal.

It also took me a little while to figure out the interaction between We Will Bury You and UN Intervention -- that is, what qualified as playing UN Intervention as an event?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benoît Delcorps
Belgium
Bruxelles
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
the pete wrote:
My first few games I didn't realize that Quagmire/Bear Trap took up your entire turn

Just need to correct this : Quagmire/Bear trap are not turn related, so their effects can last for more than an entire turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Schwarz
United States
Tucker
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Benwa wrote:
the pete wrote:
My first few games I didn't realize that Quagmire/Bear Trap took up your entire turn

Just need to correct this : Quagmire/Bear trap are not turn related, so their effects can last for more than an entire turn.

I think he meant phase. As in, he misinterpreted Quagmire as requiring a discard, then allowing play of a card as normal before giving the other player a phase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Brown
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Formosan Resolution. For whatever reason, we thought it ended when Asia Scoring was played.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Martyn
United States
Guilford
VT
flag msg tools
EXCELSIOR!!!
badge
ZOMGALOMES!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Talltim wrote:
Benwa wrote:
the pete wrote:

I think he meant phase. As in, he misinterpreted Quagmire as requiring a discard, then allowing play of a card as normal before giving the other player a phase.

That's exactly what I meant, thanks! That'll teach me to post when I'm not fully awake yet....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
suPUR DUEper
United States
Villa Hills
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sobriquet wrote:
Junta (#47) -- we at first thought that the "free" coup meant it wouldn't degrade DEFCON (also applies to other "free coup" cards). We also understood it as ONE realignment or one coup, although that's been "clarified" (I consider it an "errata", but that's just splitting hairs). JohnRayJr did, in fact, get this one "wrong" -- I know, because I just read the thread

Grain Sales to Soviets (#67) -- even posted a thread about it. I had egg on my face.

Can you clarify these in case we are doing the same things?

That is, how did you misplay Grain Sales and what is the correct way.

Ditto for Junta. I assume you meant one coup or two realignments but just checking.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
suPUR DUEper
United States
Villa Hills
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pilight wrote:
Formosan Resolution. For whatever reason, we thought it ended when Asia Scoring was played.

Instead of keeping it alive until the US plays China?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Brown
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TedW wrote:
pilight wrote:

Instead of keeping it alive until the US plays China?

Yeah, instead of it potentially affecting the scoring multiple times we were discarding it after one play of Asia Scoring. It's apparently not uncommon, I've run into other people at cons who did the same thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick McInally
Canada
Etobicoke
Ontario
flag msg tools
When playing a game, the goal is to win, but it is the goal that is important, not the winning
badge
Rust monsters: separating the wheat from the chaff since 1976.
mbmbmbmbmb
TedW wrote:
Sobriquet wrote:

Can you clarify these in case we are doing the same things?

That is, how did you misplay Grain Sales and what is the correct way.

Ditto for Junta. I assume you meant one coup or two realignments but just checking.

Sure!

Junta: If you coup a battleground state using the "free" coup, it does degrade DEFCON. As for realignments, yes, you get realignments equal to the ops value (usually 2, though it could be higher or lower depending on other cards in play, such as Red Scare/Purge).

The latter, you can read about my confusion here. It involved using a card manifest rather than the actual card while playing online, and just flat out being stupid.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.