Subject: Help putting together a game list rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Otherworldly Gamer
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Some buddies and I have gotten back into board gaming recently and we are thinking about other games that we might want to try. We currently play Settlers of Catan, Stone Age, Last Night on Earth, and Arkham Horror. We have Agricola and Carcassonne but have not played either one yet.

We like Settlers because there is minor conflict (city placement, trade refusals, etc.) and LNOE because there is direct competition. That being said, we are not totally against cooperative games either, but conflict is always good.

Our group has three steady members with the possibility of two more meeting with us sometimes. Based on our play style, what are some games that the BGG community would recommend?

I have a few:

Chaos in the Old World
Smallworld

Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♬♪♪ ♫ ♩ ♫♫♪ ♩♬♪ ♫
Australia
MURRUMBEENA
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
All reality is a game. Physics at its most fundamental, the very fabric of our universe, results directly from the interaction of certain fairly simple rules, and chance... (Iain Banks)
mbmbmbmbmb

Chaos in the Old World looks like a good choice - remember it only goes to 4 players. A Game of Thrones (First Edition) is a possibility too.
Small World most certainly is a good option.

Power Grid and Amun-Re are brilliant, but they are a step away from the games you have played. Check them out.

Antike or Oltre Mare might work as alternatives to Small World.

Otherwise, Dominion (maybe with Dominion: Seaside as well).

Good luck with whatever you choose.

-R

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd argue that Antike is a game of turtling. Direct conflict is usually not beneficial.

For a lighter game with direct conflict, I'd suggest Small World or Nexus Ops.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Miner
United States
Germantown
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Its got to be IMPERIAL,,,,or IMPERIAL2030 new version played on world map,as opposed to map of Europe,along with some rule changes.great games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Otherworldly Gamer
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for the replies. I am leaning toward Smallworld, but I would like to give it a demo before actually buying it. My FLGS has demo nights every month, maybe I will stop by and give it a go.

Thanks again for the suggestions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Hall
United Kingdom
Yate
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, given what you've said Small World is likely to be an excellent choice.

One that I never seem to see mentioned these days but that might fit what you're after is Colossal Arena which doesn't have direct conflict but does allow for plenty of 'screw you' moments.

If you like Sci-Fi themes then you might also want to check out Galactic Emperor, which is kinda like Twilight Imperium (Third Edition) but plays in a couple of hours.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.