11 Posts

Dominion» Forums » Rules

Subject: Saboteur/Swindler rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Amin Mirghani
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
How should I resolve a Saboteur/Swindler card when I have 0 cards in my deck, but I do have some cards in the discard pile. Do I shuffle the cards or is the effect not applicable?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carsten ◄► Wesel
Germany
Pinneberg-Quellental
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You have to shuffle every time you need to draw a card and there are no cards left to draw.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Hunt
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Aminek wrote:
How should I resolve a Saboteur/Swindler card when I have 0 cards in my deck, but I do have some cards in the discard pile. Do I shuffle the cards or is the effect not applicable?

Shuffle your discard pile to form a new draw pile.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amin Mirghani
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
That was quick!

Thank you very much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberta Yang
msg tools
Note that if you have no discard pile and no deck when more cards from your deck are needed - maybe your deck is very small thanks to Chapel and it's all in your hand, or maybe your deck is so Treasure-poor that there's nothing left for Adventurer to hit, or maybe you're using a large amount of draw power and have nothing left to draw - then the remainder of the effect just fizzles and nothing more happens.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
Also note that if you encounter a would be infinite loop ie saboteur with not cards that cost 3 or more or Adventurer with no treasure cards left in your deck you cycle the deck once, turn discard into deck and cycle again. then if you are still out of cards you stop because at that point if the card isn't satisfied it never will be and you do as much as possible when you play a card disregarding what can't be done.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amin Mirghani
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Thank you guys for the complex explanation. Everything is clear for me now. Most appreciated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Hunt
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
allstar64 wrote:
Also note that if you encounter a would be infinite loop ie saboteur with not cards that cost 3 or more or Adventurer with no treasure cards left in your deck you cycle the deck once, turn discard into deck and cycle again. then if you are still out of cards you stop because at that point if the card isn't satisfied it never will be and you do as much as possible when you play a card disregarding what can't be done.

No, that's not quite true. The rules specifically deal with this so that you do NOT encounter an infinite loop, and it's one of the ones I'm anal about, because people all too often don't understand why it's important.

When you reveal cards while resolving cards like Adventurer or Saboteur, the cards you reveal do NOT go into your discard pile, but are set aside in for want of a better term "revealed cards" pile. If you run out of cards in your deck, you take your discard pile which does not include those cards in the "revealed cards" pile, shuffle it, form a new draw pile and go through it. If you get to the end of your draw pile now, all the cards you've revealed are now in your "revealed cards" pile. You have no draw deck, you have no discard deck, so you're clearly done. You now discard the revealed cards.

Why is this important?
1) It prevents you having to remember if you've been through the deck completely or not
2) you'll get different results for what's in your draw deck and discard pile if a qualifying card (ie, a card that causes the action to resolve without you completely revealing your entire deck) is found in the portion of your deck that starts out as your discard pile when you first start resolving the action.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tex tex
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

The sequence the cards are played in can also matter, as to the contents of draw feck at turn end.

Once your deck is set aside, can a new action card access the set aside cards?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Hunt
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't think of a card that leaves cards set aside (other than on mats in Seaside) without discarding them at the end of resolving it. So when you start resolving a new card, there are no set aside cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wolfe
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Zendo fan, Columbus Blue Jackets fan, Dominion Fan.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Timotheous wrote:
I can't think of a card that leaves cards set aside (other than on mats in Seaside) without discarding them at the end of resolving it. So when you start resolving a new card, there are no set aside cards.

And cards on mats aren't set aside, they're on mats.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.