Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Wood
United States
Darien
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was trying to figure out my next post-christmas purchase and I've narrowed it down to these three....I was wondering if you are able to compare and contrast these three games and offer any personal opinions, likes and dislikes. All three look really really good.
For reference, personal favs: Puerto Rico, Agricola, Mare Nostrum, Bohnanza, Carcassonne, Mystery of the Abbey

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Bart
United States
Winnetka
California
flag msg tools
designer
Baseball been bery bery good to me
badge
This is a picture of a published game designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Get Endeavor. It's quicker to learn, quicker to play, and completely incompetent play will cause you to move slowly forward rather than causing bankruptcy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Adams
Australia
Oakleigh
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
A fan of new Knizia games
mbmbmbmbmb
I love Steam and like Endeavor. Brass doesn't do a lot for me, but it is a good game.

I'd go for Endeavor - easy to pick up, teach and play, but still and excellent game. Steam is great head-butting game, but you already have that with Agricola. Brass is a pain to learn, and then teach.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zopper Alf
Germany
Mannheim
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
All three are good games. My favorite is Age of Steam, closely followed by Brass. Endeavor is a great game but for me not as deep as the other ones.

Age of Steam has, also in my opinion, not such hard rules but plays deep and requires complex thoughts. Brass, once you get the game, plays quicker than AoS and has more climatic shifts (if that makes sense).

If you have someone to teach you Brass, then go for it. If not I would recommend AoS. With the additional maps and a lot of players around the globe it's more likely to get played often.

Endeavor is a new games and also a very good game. For me it has to prove itself over time. It's definitely a good one but not as outstanding as the rest.

Hope that helps and sorry for the totally different opinion than the previous posters :-)
Simon
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jens Hoppe
Denmark
Frederiksberg
flag msg tools
What are you, like 80?
badge
It's not the years, honey, it's the mileage.
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, all three are fine games!

Personally, I am not completely sold on Steam, and I think I prefer Age of Steam over it. That being said, I enjoy that whole family of train games (AoS, Steam, RRT, etc.) and Steam is certainly a fine game.

Brass is the heavier and most complex of the three. I love it, but if simplicity and accessibility are priorities, you might want to go with one of the other games instead.

And I absolutely love Endeavor! Easily my favorite new game of 2009. It's quick and relatively simple. Thematic too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Get Endeavor and you will not only have a great game, but you will be able to stop playing PR.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maciej Welc
Poland
Wrocław (Vratislavia)
Lower Silesia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You should make a poll.

Brass is brilliant.
Steam is good (I would say very good but I don't know AoS).
Both may provide you with hard competition and keep you sitting at the edge of the chair.

Endeavor seems to be too easy and boring. Didn't catch me.

PS
PR beats Endeavor undoubtly.

PS2
Mare Nostrum ME rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Liken
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Very different games, so it might really depend on your normal game group dynamics as to which would suit or which you feel will get more play.

Brass is the heaviest and takes a bit of getting your head around the rules at first. Only plays with 3 and 4 (and not 5) so this may be a factor if your game group often has 5 players. We find it plays quite long (2 hours plus) but other groups might get through it faster.

Endeavor is easier to pick up and quite intuitive once you get going - it is pretty short - maybe an hour to 80 minutes or so.

Sorry I can't comment on Steam as I haven't played it, but from reading the rules and having played games of its ilk (eg Railroad Tycoon) it is certainly heavier and longer than Endeavor.

I generally find that I just don't get heavier/longer games to the table, so while Endeavor has had around 10 plays in the last 2 to 3 months, in contrast I have owned Brass for 18 months and played it twice. Probably criminal but that's just the way it is. If you have a game group that is keen to regularly tackle heavier games then Brass may well be the best bet, if not then I'd go with Endeavor.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Dean
United States
Chicago
IL
flag msg tools
badge
Pound for pound, the amoeba is the most vicious predator on Earth!
mbmbmb
I found Endeavor to be pretty boring after my second play. I don't feel any real need to play it again, as I doubted there would be much new for me to learn as I played more games. There just did not seem to be enough there.

Age of Steam and Brass, while heavier, continue to offer new things even after 25+ plays. They can be a bit more opaque, however, and tougher to get into in general, but they are so worth it if you do. I rate Age of Steam a 10, Brass, an 8, and Endeavor a 6.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Naikelis
United States
Aurora
OH - Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I find Endeavor to be that perfect warmup game. You can usually knock out a game in 45 minutes (closer to an hour if you have 5 players) and its a very satisfying experience in a short time.

Based on your other likes, it appears you are a medium weight gamer for the most part and Endeavor fits that criteria perfectly. So if you are looking to move to something a little more towards heavy on the scale, maybe try Steam or Brass, but if medium games tend to fit your gaming group well, then Endeavor, in my opinion, is a perfect medium weight game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hoffman
United States
Cortlandt Manor
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I love all three games unreservedly and would eagerly play any of them without hesitation, almost anytime.

Having said that, I think Brass is my favorite of the lot.

Having said that, I think I may agree that Endeavor is the game for you.

Endeavor is the "lightest" of the three games and the most accessible. Brass, once you've played it, and once you get how it works (this is not "hard", but the game itself can feel rough to a new player), is absolutely tremendous. However, the story is that Martin Wallace is going to be coming out with a sort of "Brass 2.0" around summertime. It's going to change Brass from what it is (well, the original won't "change", but you know what I mean) and introduce a sort of "Brass System" which will work with user-made expansions, etc.

So, I'd say go with Endeavor right now. If you're buying something when "Brass 2.0" (which I believe will be called something like, "Age of Industry") comes out, consider picking that up then.

Honestly, though, you can't go wrong. Three great games that are completely worth your gaming dollar. For your particular circumstance, at this point in time, though, I'd have to suggest Endeavor.

Also, FWIW, I absolutely love Steam. I don't want it to seem like I'm disregarding that game; it's just that Steam, like Brass, can be rough on newcomers. Once it's digested, though, it really is a great game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J S
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have yet to try Endeavor, but am itching to do so. As mentioned, it sounds like a good game to kick-off the night with. I tend to prefer heavier games, so I am sure I personally, would prefer both Age of Steam and Brass to Endeavor.

I currently rate Brass a 9 and Age of Steam a 8. I haven't gotten to play my copy of Steam yet, but my gripe with Age of Steam is that as soon as you get your head above water, the game is over. Supposedly, this is addressed a bit with Steam, but I'll wait it see.

As the person who had to read and explain the rules to Brass to my group, it's a bit of a pain. I don't think it is THAT hard, but it is quite fiddly and everything works differently in terms of scoring. That being said, it was well worth it and it's one of my all-time favorite games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Huizinga
Canada
Burlington
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have never played Brass so I can't give you a recommendation on that one.

I have played a lot of Steam and some Endeavor.

I prefer Endeavor myself.

That said Steam is an excellent rail game and reminds me of Railroad Tycoon which I also really liked. I like the development and the economics of the game but it is harsh to people who are new to it. Steam really doesn't scale well for experienced players when playing against newer players. The basic Steam game is really good but fairly cut-throat.

While Endeavor with its' shorter playtime and more forgiving mechanics is much friendlier for players with less experience. I still don't expect them to win but they stand a better chance of feeling like they have competed then in Steam. It is also reasonable to play Endeavor in about an hour once everyone has a handle on it. Endeavor can have some take-that with the Fortress and Barracks though. Overuse of these two buildings can quickly render someone out of contention, either with too much attacking on their part or too many people attacking them.

Both games are fairly simple and easy to teach. Both have a learning curve and this will definitely show in the first play. I think Steam is more prone to AP because of the multitude of options but Endeavor can have surprisingly tough choices as well.

I would recommend you buy both games but if you are going to buy one and wait for the other I would buy Endeavor first.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maciej Welc
Poland
Wrocław (Vratislavia)
Lower Silesia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mattnaik wrote:
I find Endeavor to be that perfect warmup game. You can usually knock out a game in 45 minutes (closer to an hour if you have 5 players) and its a very satisfying experience in a short time.

Having 45 minutes for startup I'd rather go for Taluva with 4 players or PR with 5.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Brokaw
United States
Hillsboro
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
It's not a damn moped!
mbmbmbmbmb
Barticus88 wrote:
... and completely incompetent play will cause you to move slowly forward rather than causing bankruptcy.

After my first game of Brass, I really appreciate this difference!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Wood
United States
Darien
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for all your input!

To make things a little clearer, I like games with a longer mid-game, I don't like the "it ended just when it started to get going". I also dont care for a lot of "kill the leader". I do like games with positive intereaction instead of negative. I realize some of the games I mention I liked have these aspects, but such is the reason for looking at Endeaver, Brass, and Steam.

Also, I was interested in Steam, but not really Age of Steam....I don't know if that changes what everyone has said in this thread.
Thanks again!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarratt Gray
New Zealand
Upper Hutt
Wellington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Myoman wrote:

Also, I was interested in Steam, but not really Age of Steam....I don't know if that changes what everyone has said in this thread.
Thanks again!

So Steam (Basic Version, I don't like the advanced) is a better implementation of the Age of Steam rules. It is more elegant, simpler and faster. Age of Steam is still better, but Steam does have it's merits. You can pretty much play Age of Steam using the Steam set though, and if you get some sets of boards they come with the off board mats necessary. They are essentially the same game with slightly different rulesets surround turn order and some of the actions. Given your group of games that you like Steam is probably more accessible straight up. I'm not sure of the long term appeal of it though compared to Age of Steam.

Brass is a fantastic. A richly deep game. It does take 3hrs though and there can be a lot of waiting around from Analysis Paralysis going into the later turns. I usually go and watch the other table during the latter half of the game if my moves are unlikely to be thwarted.

Endeavor fits nicely with the game you already like, and clearly I think you should choose Endeavor, but if you get the chance you should probably try and get all 3.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Mucchiello
United States
Edison
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
I would say Base Steam is only barely more complicated than Endeavor. In fact there are fewer game decision points in Steam. A 4-player game has 8 rounds. Each round you pick a job, lay track and ship 2 items. That's 24 "simple" decisions and 8 somewhat more complicated ones (the actual track laying). In Endeavor, you could have 6+ actions by the last turn plus choosing a building. The number of decisions you have to make is probably greater in Endeavor although they tend not to be as complicated.

I have not played either game enough to have a set opinion over which is better. If offered I'd play either.

I have not played Brass.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
wodan wodan
msg tools
Brass is strategic and long.
Endeavor is tactical and short.

I like them both. They do their jobs well. Endeavor is about grabbing opportunities as they come, while Brass is about careful planning of bigger gambits.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
wodan wodan
msg tools
Brass is strategic and long.
Endeavor is tactical and short.

I like them both. They do their jobs well. Endeavor is about grabbing opportunities as they come, while Brass is about careful planning of bigger gambits.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Wiebe
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Green is the colour, football is the game; we're all together, and winning is our aim!
mbmbmbmbmb
Brass over Steam any time. Perhaps Rise of Empires? Having said that Endeavor looks good though!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Thomas
United States
North Kansas City
MO
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You've gotten great advice, almost all of which I agree with. Personally, I love Brass - it's an all-time classic, IMO. It is the most difficult to learn / teach, but it can be played in 2-2.5 hours which, for a truly deep game, is great.

If I could sit down with experienced players, my choice would be Brass hands down. It's difficult to get to that point with enough players, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim OConnor
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting question. On 4 spectrum I'd rank as follows, .

Brass - highest complexity/most difficult to learn/most theme/longest to play

Steam - mid/mid/mid/mid

Endeavor - least complex/easiest to learn/least theme/shortest

So I prefer Brass over Steam over Endeavor if I had my choice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Basil
United States
Clayton
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Endeavor
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Springer
United States
Brooklyn
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Myoman wrote:
Thank you for all your input!

To make things a little clearer, I like games with a longer mid-game, I don't like the "it ended just when it started to get going". I also dont care for a lot of "kill the leader". I do like games with positive intereaction instead of negative. I realize some of the games I mention I liked have these aspects, but such is the reason for looking at Endeaver, Brass, and Steam.

Based on this, I would go with Brass. All three games are awesome (although I've only played Endeavor once, so my opinion on it could change) but Steam is a fight for survival the whole way through (although not as much as Age of Steam - which is why I like AoS better ;-)) and most (though not all) of the interaction actually works to both players' benefit.

As mentioned, though, Endeavor is by far the shortest of the three games. I prefer longer games, myself, but that could be a consideration in getting it to the table.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.