11 Posts

Wargames» Forums » General

Subject: Hunting for a certain Boardgame rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Greg Manby
msg tools
Hello there friends.

I'm a newbie to this forum, however I'm going to be audacious and ask for a little information from anyone who's interested and can help.

I'm hunting around for a specific war based board game. I dont know much about it apart from a few rules, I'm actually searching for it for my uncle, who keeps going on about how he plaed it as a teenager. It's very hard to google a board game with only its rules, so I figured Id ask some people who knew the subject.

The game is apparently similar to to classic game Risk, but has a few gameplay modifications. One is the inclusion of 'Hydrogen Bombs', special peices built turn by turn that can render a territory inhabitable as well as eliminate troops from all adjoining areas.
Another element is that of attacking/defending territories, which is performed by having the attacker place a 6 sided Di on any number, and having the defending player guess the number. If they guess it correct the attacking player loses troops based on the number on the Di.

I dont know much else about the game, apart from he thinks it may be called 'Warlord', I've tried Googling this, but to no avail.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"L'état, c'est moi."
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Roger's Reviews: check out my reviews page, right here on BGG!
badge
Caution: May contain wargame like substance
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like Supremacy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph
United States
Ewing
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Christmas Card Exchange: 2009 - 2014
badge
I play at EPGS on the 1st and 3rd Saturday of the month and if you live in Eastern PA, Western NJ or Northern DE ... you should too!
mbmbmbmbmb
How old is your Uncle? It would give a better idea as to the time frame of the game you are looking for.

Nevermind

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Tak
United States
Chapin
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rules look right, time frame may be right, Warlord is in the title of some of the expansions...man, that was quick!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Hamilton
United Kingdom
Stockport
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The game you are looking for is Classic Warlord unfortunately it is not easy to get hold of and if you can find it is rather expensive.

The was another game which is actually half of a full game of Warlord (half the maps and fewer players) called Apocalypse which seems to be the main BGG link for it.

Supremacy does not use the setting a number on a dice combat mechanic. Warlord and Apocalypse do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Westmore
Bermuda
Surbiton
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
mb
it probably is Classic Warlord aka Warlord when first published.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Hamilton
United Kingdom
Stockport
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Snap

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy James
msg tools
mbmb
Definitely Apocalypse. I have a copy of the Game's Workshop edition in my father's attic that is about 25 years old.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Tak
United States
Chapin
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
oh my! surprise

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Hamilton
United Kingdom
Stockport
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am fortunate enough to have a copy of the blue box version of Warlord which I bought I think in 1979 or possibly 1980.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Manby
msg tools
Thanks for the help everyone! WOuld you believe I forgot about this post?

Apocalypse has been bought.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.