Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Vlad Reznik
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i just got TS and in my 3rd game faced the following situation: my opponent controlled cuba, mexico, and panama. he had no non-bg countries in central america, therefore no domination. however, based on the text in the rules, it seems you don't need domination to have control of the region? this was mind-boggling to me and i didn't see it coming at all.

can someone please confirm whether or not this is the case?

do you really not need domination in order to have control?

thanks in advance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Schwarz
United States
Tucker
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That is correct, you can control without domination. But you must have more total countries (in addition to all the BG), so if the other player has a bunch of non-BG, then no control.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vlad Reznik
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
yeah, he had the 3 bgs and nothing else, i had 2 non-bgs. i just assumed that you couldnt have control without domination and didnt even worry about immediately trying to get another country there - was satisfied with him having a 5 point advantage (he was soviets). the control gave him an extra 4 vp, which i was definitely not in a position to lose.

another question that just occurred to me: i always assumed that a higher level control of a region (presence -> dom -> control) replaced the vps of the level(s) under it.

therefore, when someone had domination/control, he would not score the points for presence. is this also not the case?

(in my earlier example, my friend took 9 net points: 5 for control, 3 for his 3 bgs, 2 for 2 of those bgs being next to my superpower, -1 for my presence. should he have taken 10, since he also had presence? if he had had domination as well, would he have taken 13??)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Snooze Fest
United States
Hillsborough
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
We love our pups!! Misu, RIP 28 Nov 2010. Tikka, RIP 11 Aug 2011.
mbmbmbmbmb
callmeVlad wrote:

another question that just occurred to me: i always assumed that a higher level control of a region (presence -> dom -> control) replaced the vps of the level(s) under it.

therefore, when someone had domination/control, he would not score the points for presence. is this also not the case?

(in my earlier example, my friend took 9 net points: 5 for control, 3 for his 3 bgs, 2 for 2 of those bgs being next to my superpower, -1 for my presence. should he have taken 10, since he also had presence? if he had had domination as well, would he have taken 13??)

Part of the confusion is that it is actually presence -> control -> DOMINATE. It makes sense: stick your toe in the continent/water and you have presence. Put the whole foot in, and now you control it. But do a cannonball into the pool and you DOMINATE (once you start peeing in the pool, ain't no one else interested in taking a swim).

So you take the points for whichever of these 3 you have, with preference to the stronger type (so in this case, DOM + BG + superpower)

Oops! Move along now, nothing to see here!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Schwarz
United States
Tucker
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
callmeVlad wrote:

This statement is correct. When scoring a region, you give each player points for their highest category (presence, etc.) + other points (BG, etc). Then you take the net difference and move the sliding scale VP marker.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Schwarz
United States
Tucker
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
snoozefest wrote:

Part of the confusion is that it is actually presence -> control -> DOMINATE. It makes sense: stick your toe in the continent/water and you have presence. Put the whole foot in, and now you control it. But do a cannonball into the pool and you DOMINATE (once you start peeing in the pool, ain't no one else interested in taking a swim).

Huh? Control is higher. More points, harder to do, etc. Look at the scoring chart for Europe. If you dominate, you get points. If you control, you WIN.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
eryn roston
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Talltim wrote:
snoozefest wrote:

Huh? Control is higher. More points, harder to do, etc. Look at the scoring chart for Europe. If you dominate, you get points. If you control, you WIN.

heh. I taught this game to a friend once who was on the verge of throwing the whole experience out the window because "control" was better than "dominate". As far as he was concerned it should be labeled the other way around. I'm sorta inclined to agree
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Schwarz
United States
Tucker
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fair enough. I'd have to think about it to decide which I thought sounded stronger.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vlad Reznik
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thanks for your help tim

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Snooze Fest
United States
Hillsborough
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
We love our pups!! Misu, RIP 28 Nov 2010. Tikka, RIP 11 Aug 2011.
mbmbmbmbmb
Talltim wrote:
snoozefest wrote:

Sorry, you are absolutely correct -- I was momentarily confused there! Nevertheless, the rest is true: score points for the single best status (control>dominate>presence) plus whatever other bonuses you get.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Smith
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/Dominate

I think domination should be weaker than control, the way it is. In mathematics, "dominates" usually means "is bigger than". One of the common uses of the word is in a geographic context. "The hill dominates the town." "Half dome dominates yosemite."

The word "control" is much more clear. It indicates that decisions being made by the one being controlled.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wot!
United Kingdom
Reading
Berkshire
flag msg tools
badge
...i WILL own it all!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Talltim wrote:
callmeVlad wrote:

This statement is correct. When scoring a region, you give each player points for their highest category (presence, etc.) + other points (BG, etc). Then you take the net difference and move the sliding scale VP marker.

Just got this game and a little confused on the topic of Region scoring .... The requirement for achieving Control of a region is that you control all Battleground countries in that region. Therefore would I be correct that the score already takes into account that you have all the battleground countries .... OR do I still add the +1 VP for each Battleground country ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benoît Delcorps
Belgium
Bruxelles
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dwrigley wrote:
Therefore would I be correct that the score already takes into account that you have all the battleground countries .... OR do I still add the +1 VP for each Battleground country ?

The second option is the correct one : the player takes the points for controlling the region + 1 point per battleground country he controls in this region. His opponent takes the points for presence if he has one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wot!
United Kingdom
Reading
Berkshire
flag msg tools
badge
...i WILL own it all!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Benwa wrote:
dwrigley wrote:
Therefore would I be correct that the score already takes into account that you have all the battleground countries .... OR do I still add the +1 VP for each Battleground country ?

The second option is the correct one : the player takes the points for controlling the region + 1 point per battleground country he controls in this region. His opponent takes the points for presence if he has one.

Thanks for getting back so quickly .... I am right in the middle of a game with my wife and I just played the first region scoring card!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benoît Delcorps
Belgium
Bruxelles
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh and I also forgot something : a player gets also +1 VP for each controlled country adjacent (linked) to his opponent's superpower (eg. if USA controls Finland, it's a + 1VP for USA when Europe scores... and Mexico and Cuba are both worth 2VP if controlled by the USSR player - 1 because they are BG country + 1 for their adjacence)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.