Habitat» Forums » Rules

Subject: Game Play - Foraging rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
J Dub
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My fiancee and I have played this game twice today and think we have played it wrong both times. I am looking for a little clarification on foragers and the food chain.

To make myself clear, I will give and example of the situation we are wondering about:

If I have a plant as my resource and I have a rank card 2, say Chipmunk, foraging from that resource, do I need a second resource card (another plant) card for example, to support a rank 3 forager such as the Wild Turkey? I realize that the Abundance card will allow both to forage off the same plant resource, but my question is specific to the rank order and the foraging. Can the rank 3 forager be placed into the same food chain as the rank 2 forager if they are able to be supported by the same resource?

After our second game we noticed the wording in the rule book that says "A Food Chain is a stack of ranked cards in which each population is supported by the population or resource below it." I would assume this means then that the population has to be supported by the ranked card directly below it and therefore that 2 foragers cannot be stacked by rank foraging on the same resource. Additionally, this would prevent food chains such as Plant - Porcupines - Grizzly as, while grizzly's may be able to eat the bottom resource they cannot be supported by the card that would be directly below them.

Since I have mentioned porcupines, it does bring up a question on scavenging. Can a scavenging animal such as bear survive on porcupines if porcupines are available to scavenge off of in the starving display, or do the predator rules continue to apply even when starving?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elliot Hogg
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, you are correct -- animals can only be supported by the card directly below them, so Plants can support Chipmunks or Turkeys, but not both at the same time, unless Abundance has been played. As for your other question, yes, scavenging animals like bears can scavenge off any animal in the starving display (predator rules and rank do not apply, which allows, for example, a rat to feed off a starving eagle). Hope that helps and I hope you and your fiancee enjoy the game!

Thanks for playing,
Elliot Hogg

p.s. Look for the new and improved ruleset, with faster gameplay, which should be posted to this site soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.