Popular Tags: [View All]
Craig Truesdell
United States
Uniontown
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Anyone have the game scale for this game?
Miles per Hex? (please, no kilometers... )
People/Orcs per strength point (Ancients anyone?)
That kind of stuff...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronald Tweakston
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I tried to answer for myself at one time.

hiking speed 2.5 miles/hour on clear terrain or paths
hiking 6 hours/day
7 days/week
thats 105 miles/week
movement of 5 hexes/week
about 20 miles/hex (32 km/hex)

Army sizes: I can see 1 being about 100 but that means one of those 50-5 is only 5,000 men. Tolkien uses the term host for a very large formation of up to 50,000. So that figures maybe 300 to 1000 for one combat unit in the game. That 1-5 ranger unit in the north is only 31 men so who knows. The only other number I remember is Gondor and Rohan had combined 7,000 at the Battle of the Black Gate.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Truesdell
United States
Uniontown
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Truesdell
United States
Uniontown
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Using the Atlas of Middle Earth, I used Gandalf's and Pippin's ride from Isengard to Minis Tirith as the baseline. It was a direct ride with no diversions for 500 Miles. The number of road hexes is 16 so I get 31.25. Looking at some of the other distances, I estimate it is around 32 miles per hex. Gandalf did it in 4 days! Which is 1/2 a turn.

Still wondering about the army scale. I think the Mordor armies were inflated to give them a chance to take a citadel. In the book, Helm's Deep and Pelennor Fields happen within 12 day and Mordor loses both battles. Rohan participates in both battles. Also, the elves take Dol Gulder! All of these outcomes seem impossible to me in the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Blackwell
England
Rotherfield
East Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been thinking hard about unit scales for some time and decided arbitrarily for my own reference that a SP would vary depending on the troop type.

So I've gone for 1 SP =

1000 Orcs/Uruks
500 Men foot
250 Elves, Dwarves, Hobbits
200 Men cavalry and Wargs
100 Spiders and Beornings
50 Trolls
25 Mumakil

It works for me, big Dark Power forces and small but powerful Free Peoples reflecting better training etc. Working on the counter manifest less search orcs or resurrected orcs etc it puts the following approximate numbers for each faction as:-

545,000+ Sauron - 375000 Orcs & Uruks, 140000+ Haradrim, Easterlings, Corsairs etc, 1000 Trolls, 500 Mumakil

150,000 Saruman - 130000 Orcs, Uruks & Half-Orcs, 15000 Dunlendings, 4000 Wargs

150,000 Free Peoples - 80000+ Gondor, 29000 Rohan, 20000 Elves, 4000+ Dwarves, 11000+ free peoples, 1250 Halflings

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.