Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gregor McNish
Australia
Melbourne
VIC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In a recent play I had one wilderness road on each side of me. We weren't sure whether to allow me to build 1 or 2 wilderness roads. After some discussion we decided that that would be too unbalancing, and went with the one wilderness road maximum per people phase.

This was at the first sun phase in a round, so those two cards would have let me build 6 wilderness roads over the three people phases. Might as well have had a helicopter.

What do other people think?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith "Boaty McBoatface" C
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
In the rules, under the Sun Phase part 4. "All effects of the Sun Events are cumulative unless otherwise indicated on the cards"

So, you should get two wilderness roads each time. Basically, at that point people should be playing very bad cards against you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregor McNish
Australia
Melbourne
VIC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, but the text says "one of the roads you build during the people phase may be a wilderness road"; so it's unclear whether they're talking a maximum of one, or one per card.

Others, like el nino, are more specific, saying flooding can't reduce roads builds below one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith "Boaty McBoatface" C
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
True, it does seem pretty powerful, but I would think that it would say something like "You may never have more than one wilderness road" if it wasn't supposed to accumulate.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
We (have) allowed them to be cumulative. It wasn't a problem. It wasn't unbalancing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Eisen
United States
Redwood City
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Correct. And I was about to post that until rereading the card made a strong case that stacking still just means "one wilderness road". That would be a literal reading.

And while not fully unbalancing, it is a pretty kick-ass combination.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Ernstein
United States
Valparaiso
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
While I am a firm believer in house rules, and would say that you can interpret the rules as the group likes to play, the designer's intention is that all events are cumulative. Therefore, if you have two "Wilderness Roads" next to you, you can use one of them on each of your two road builds. I, as an opponent, would obviously play an "El Nino Flooding" card next to you as soon as I could. Have fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Eugene
Oregon
msg tools
mb
Assume the player blessed with two Wilderness Road events is also subject to El Nino, allowing only one road to be built during the People phase. Can that player opt to build a road for the Construction Action of the People phase, thereby making use of two WR's? Or may WR's only be used during the Road Building Action?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.