MGS
United States
Weston
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Finishing Blow
mbmbmbmbmb
I got Day & Night as a Christmas present and I have played it with my wife 8 times since then. We like everything about the game. The simple rules, the tactical gameplay, the components and the art. My wife even likes the pawns.

Our most recent games are taking longer since we play aggressively and fight for each temple from the get go. There is not a dull moment. Tonight, she played Night and started building on her side and I started on mine but as soon as I drew Fate (allows Day to turn all the surround tiles and its own location tile), I moved to her side and the battle began. I eventually used Mislead to send day to the other side of the board. Unhappily, Crystalize made me lose 2 turns and she build her Temple where I had started mine but I finished Day's temple on the very next turn.

I quickly studied the board and realized that if I could mystify 3 of the tiles, Night would not have enough space to build a second temple and Day would win by default. I changed my strategy and stopped holding the cards that allowed me to place tiles and focused on mystify cards. My wife only realized this after I mystified one tile that made 1/3 of the board useless. She had to divide her attention between building her second temple and preventing me from blocking the rest of the board.

It is very difficult to mistify the specific tile that you need because Night has a lot of cards to prevent that. I had already mistified one of the two tiles that I needed to block the rest of the board and I was working on getting the right combination to mystify the final tile and after a couple of turns, it eventually came.

I played Day Instability (cost 0) to change the night tile that Day and Night were standing into a day tile. Then, Wishing Well (cost 4) placed one mystify marker on the tile that could block the game. Amd, Mislead placed Night far away from that tile giving her little opportunity to prevent the end of the game.

This was another tense game of Day & Night and it was our first game that finished with one of the alternate endgame conditions. I am impressed with the tight design, the balance between the asymmetrical sides and the replay value. A great way to spend time together.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Garnica
United States
West Covina
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the session report. This is definitely on my "once I have more money I'm sure I will end up eventually buying this"...list. laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.