Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: multi-man_publishing [+] [View All]
Paul Franklin
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A good place to start, with Baltic Gap, is with the add-on smaller scenarios available from Multiman here: http://www.gamersarchive.net/theGamers/archive/ballticgap.ht...

The first scenario is small enough but uses enough elements of the game to give you a nice taste of the system. Not to mention, it's actually a good tense scenario.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Kisner
United States
Windsor Heights
Iowa
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Andrew,

Begin with reading what may well be the final version of the series rules, version 4.0. They come with Baltic Gap, but older games (like Enemy at the Gates) can all be played with v4 (they "back-fit"). Don't mess around with the v2 rules that came with Enemy at the Gates (EATG).

You have two good choices, I think. EATG has a Chir River scenario that many people learn the system with. If Baltic Gap catches your eye, there is a small scenario that I created that you can find at this link that is of similar size. After playing these a few times, you'll gain a grasp of the mechanics and how it all comes together in the sequence of play. Note you'll also find important game errata and other resources at the site below:

http://www.gamersarchive.net/theGamers/archive/ocs.htm

So what you need to do is read the v4 series rules (but not the naval section), then read the exclusive rules that came with the game you choose, and then setup and play. As questions arise, ask here on BGG or over in the Consimworld forum for "Operational Combat Series".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Hunter
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
To approach the Other in conversation is to welcome his expression, in which at each instant he overflows the idea a thought would carry away from it. It is therefore to receive from the Other beyond the capacity of the I...
badge
To approach the Other in conversation is to welcome his expression, in which at each instant he overflows the idea a thought would carry away from it. It is therefore to receive from the Other beyond the capacity of the I...
mbmbmbmbmb
YoungGrognard wrote:
I've been trying to get into OCS recently. So far, I've picked up Enemy at the Gates and Baltic Gap, and I'm considering getting Burma. What's the best scenario to start with of my avaiable options? One map scenarios and relatively small forces are preferable, but the main thing is to be able to get the mechanics down in the relatively easiest way.
Get Burma, tons of decent small scenarios that teach you the rules, there are no multi unit divisions too, so you won't have to deal with them. You can focus on Movement, Combat and Supply.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Smith
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Whatever scenario you learn it seems tricky at first. But it soon clicks and it's a very intuitive system so please stick with it, it will be worth it. Just take you're time over it at first though.

I found this walkthrough useful http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/320015/tunisia-example-o... as it explains some basic concepts. Once you understand those the rest is fairly easy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.