United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Job 2

On another day the angels came to present themselves before the LORD, and Satan also came with them to present himself before him. And the LORD said to Satan, "Where have you come from?"

Satan answered the LORD, "From roaming through the earth and going back and forth in it."

Then the LORD said to Satan, "Have you considered my servant Job? There is no one on earth like him; he is blameless and upright, a man who fears God and shuns evil. And he still maintains his integrity, though you incited me against him to ruin him without any reason."

"Skin for skin!" Satan replied. "A man will give all he has for his own life. But stretch out your hand and strike his flesh and bones, and he will surely curse you to your face."

The LORD said to Satan, "Very well, then, he is in your hands; but you must spare his life."

So Satan went out from the presence of the LORD and afflicted Job with painful sores from the soles of his feet to the top of his head. Then Job took a piece of broken pottery and scraped himself with it as he sat among the ashes.

His wife said to him, "Are you still holding on to your integrity? Curse God and die!"

He replied, "You are talking like a foolish woman. Shall we accept good from God, and not trouble?"

In all this, Job did not sin in what he said.

When Job's three friends, Eliphaz the Temanite, Bildad the Shuhite and Zophar the Naamathite, heard about all the troubles that had come upon him, they set out from their homes and met together by agreement to go and sympathize with him and comfort him. When they saw him from a distance, they could hardly recognize him; they began to weep aloud, and they tore their robes and sprinkled dust on their heads. Then they sat on the ground with him for seven days and seven nights. No one said a word to him, because they saw how great his suffering was.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
True Blue Jon
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shall we accept good from God, and not trouble?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Eig
United States
Huntington
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Quote:
Then the LORD said to Satan, "Have you considered my servant Job? There is no one on earth like him; he is blameless and upright, a man who fears God and shuns evil. And he still maintains his integrity, though you incited me against him to ruin him without any reason."

The LORD sure loves pressing his buttons. If I were Job, I'd smack Him upside the head for continuously making these innocent "insights" to Satan.

Quote:
Skin for skin!" Satan replied. "A man will give all he has for his own life. But stretch out your hand and strike his flesh and bones, and he will surely curse you to your face."

The LORD said to Satan, "Very well, then, he is in your hands; but you must spare his life."

Kind of repeating chapter 1 again? Oh Satan, don't you ever learn?

Quote:
His wife said to him, "Are you still holding on to your integrity? Curse God and die!"

He replied, "You are talking like a foolish woman. Shall we accept good from God, and not trouble?"

The point of the book in my opinion - and the inevitable philosophical result of accepting a single all powerful creator. Both good and "trouble" come from the same source - accept the one, you must accept the other - and that the other will come to us all, eventually.

Quote:

When Job's three friends, Eliphaz the Temanite, Bildad the Shuhite and Zophar the Naamathite, heard about all the troubles that had come upon him, they set out from their homes and met together by agreement to go and sympathize with him and comfort him.
Then they sat on the ground with him for seven days and seven nights. No one said a word to him, because they saw how great his suffering was.

Can you imagine someone doing that? I'd say these were VERY good friends... either that or friends were better 3000 years ago than they are now. I blame TV.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
True Blue Jon
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dtolman wrote:
Quote:

When Job's three friends, Eliphaz the Temanite, Bildad the Shuhite and Zophar the Naamathite, heard about all the troubles that had come upon him, they set out from their homes and met together by agreement to go and sympathize with him and comfort him.
Then they sat on the ground with him for seven days and seven nights. No one said a word to him, because they saw how great his suffering was.

Can you imagine someone doing that? I'd say these were VERY good friends... either that or friends were better 3000 years ago than they are now. I blame TV.

They were awesome friends. Isolation is the worst when your aching from loss. I also love how they didn't say anything but just sat with him.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SH W
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dtolman wrote:

Quote:

The point of the book in my opinion - and the inevitable philosophical result of accepting a single all powerful creator. Both good and "trouble" come from the same source - accept the one, you must accept the other - and that the other will come to us all, eventually.

Yes, and I would say that this was intentionally indicated by the author. You have the only woman here speaking, and she only speaks one line. This is the point of the book for me too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Do you believe this happened?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
True Blue Jon
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mondainai wrote:

Yes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
designer
mb
quozl wrote:
Mondainai wrote:

Yes.

How did the author learn of it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
True Blue Jon
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mondainai wrote:
quozl wrote:
Mondainai wrote:

Yes.

Inspired by God.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
designer
mb
quozl wrote:
Mondainai wrote:
quozl wrote:
Mondainai wrote:

Yes.

Inspired by God.

What's the latest thing written that you know is inspired by God?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
True Blue Jon
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mondainai wrote:
quozl wrote:
Mondainai wrote:
quozl wrote:
Mondainai wrote:

Yes.

Inspired by God.

What's the latest thing written that you know is inspired by God?

Let's start another thread for that.
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/4448454

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Sytsma
United States
Wyoming
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
quozl wrote:
Job 2

On another day the angels came to present themselves before the LORD, and Satan also came with them to present himself before him. And the LORD said to Satan, "Where have you come from?"

Satan answered the LORD, "From roaming through the earth and going back and forth in it."

Whenever I read this verse I shudder. The NASB translation really gets me thinking "From roaming about on the earth and walking around on it." Knowing that satan is not only out there somewhere but actually walking the earth, seeking souls to him, to eternal damnation, not a happy thought.

Its also interesting in these first 2 chapters that satan shows up to "present" himself before God. Was it something required? or was he just thinking "I think I will go swing into heaven and see whats up today".

One other point that you get from the first 2 chapters is that satan is still subject to God. The Lord puts limits on how much harm can be done to Job. Satan can only torment so far. Job is still in Gods hands. God is still and forever will be the Almighty One.

quozl wrote:
Shall we accept good from God, and not trouble?

I have always liked the saying that the best thing that can ever happen to a non believer will happen during their lifetime. While the worst thing that can ever happen to a believer will happen during their lifetime.

Job is about to find this out. The worst days of his existence are about to start but he will be rewarded for keeping his faith.

Trouble will come to all in life. No where does it say life will be all roses and sweets. We will face trials. How we handle ourselves in those trials will be the true test of faith.

I think James 1 Says it best
James 1:12 wrote:
Blessed is a man who perseveres under trial; for once he has been approved, he will receive the crown of life which the Lord has promised to those who love Him.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.