Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
10 Posts

Valdora Extra» Forums » General

Subject: The Duel: Near impossible to get a silver or gold workshop - right? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dan C
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Are we playing this wrong, or is the gold and silver workshops going to get tossed out in the first few rounds of the game? It may be theoretically possible (by banking a ton of gold or silver commissions in one turn), but is it ever going to happen in regular gameplay?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's what I said in the other thread: Re: Further info on what you get?

It sounds like your reading of the rules and in that other thread are consistent.

I think the concept of removing some things so that 2 players don't get everything is good, but the execution by doing impossible things like having a workshop thrown out on the very first of the game is deeply flawed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan C
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah I just read what you wrote there. Having played it now... it seems weird to throw out those workshops so early. I suppose Mr. Schacht didn't think that 2p games should include gold or silver workshops? (in which case, why not just start the game without them, instead of the pretense that they might be attained by one of the two players)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Duffy
United States
Phoenixville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Mr Worf.....Fire!
mbmbmbmbmb
I wonder if, in a 2-p game, it would just be a race to get those workshops, due to the larger number of commissions and therefore the larger number of potential bonus tiles? Therefore every 2-p game would be the same?

This is based upon only one play so take it with much salt.

PS. my first 2-p was an excellent, very tight game: 127-125 final score. Both went for different strategies; one, the white commissions; the other, diversity in Craftsman and workshops. Nice!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan C
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I wonder if, in a 2-p game, it would just be a race to get those workshops, due to the larger number of commissions and therefore the larger number of potential bonus tiles? Therefore every 2-p game would be the same?

Good point. Might have been the designer's intent. Although in that case, I still wonder why gold/silver workshops were included at all (i.e. discard before game begins).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jens www.spielefreun.de
Germany
Neudrossenfeld
flag msg tools
designer
Nobody reads this, anyway!
badge
Doea anybody read this, anyway?
mbmbmbmbmb
Because it's actually even worse than that:

If there is no silver/gold workshop, but one is to be taken by the dummy player, the dummy player simply takes the next one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Duffy
United States
Phoenixville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Mr Worf.....Fire!
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, this is how we played it. The workshops went very quickly in this way, only one was taken by an actual player. Seemed a bit harsh, I wonder if having only one workshop-removing competition card would mess the balance up?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Schacht
Germany
Frankfurt
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
you have to be quick to get them.
but of course especially these are hard to get.

if you play ineffective:
fulfilling just one commision at the same time
it gets even harder.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Duffy
United States
Phoenixville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Mr Worf.....Fire!
mbmbmbmbmb
mschacht wrote:
you have to be quick to get them.
but of course especially these are hard to get.

if you play ineffective:
fulfilling just one commision at the same time
it gets even harder.

Aha! For some reason we missed that you can fulfill more than one commission at a time! Cool, that will make a big difference, thanks Michael!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Schacht
Germany
Frankfurt
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
that’s very important in the game.
especially with silver (and gold).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.