Popular Tags: [View All]
Juuso Mattila
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Having a day off in the middle of the week is always nice and what better way to spend a part of it than playing. The fun is greater when you get to play a fresh new game. We started our game night with a 4-player GS and only Mikko and I had played the "tutorial" level once before, losing miserably. Jukka had seen that loss and for Lotta the game was completely new.

I got the green board with the fourth dice / no black dice -ability. Mikko was the blue with the do both beat the ghosts and use help from the villager -ability. Jukka got the yellow weakening mantra and Lotta the red flyer. In the beginning we were drawing quite many of those ghosts that instantly add another ghost to the game so we got to the thick of the things quite early. At times we make some nice plans for the future moves, but the game seems to have a nice tendency for beating some of such plans to dust as there really are some ghosts that can cripple your plans by, for example, confiscating dice. At the start we were throwing our Qi away quite happily in the Wizard's hut for getting rid of the meaner ghosts. The tension was however growing and soon the game's clock started ticking quite aggressively.

I don't know if this has been already discussed here in depth, but in GS you're clearly playing against the clock. It seems to me that you'll have to be able to slay slightly over a ghost a turn on average in order to survive until the appearing of the incarnation of Wu-Feng. And if you're at that point still alive you'll also have to be in a position to be able to forget about the other ghosts in order to fight just the boss...

Anyways, the clock was ticking and the sands of time were starting to run low for our group. The momentum was really turning against us some five to six ghosts before the coming of the big one as everybody was down to a single Qi and we were basically just keeping each other alive with 10-12 ghosts in play all the time. Then Jukka dies on his turn as his board is full and he can't play a ghost anymore. He goes to the already cursed graveyard and there are also two other cursed parts in the village. It is Lotta's turn and she draws a blue ghost, but Mikko's board is also full so Lotta decides to put the ghost on her own board rather than mine who is next in turn order. And this only because I would die at the beginning of my turn with my board filled. Mikko is also pretty loosely hanged already.

So it's my turn and there's only one free place for a ghost left on the board, right in the front of my brave green monk and the next card has a red back. Oh yeah. Mikko would be going six feet under on his turn and the fourth part of the village would be cursed at the beginning of Jukka's turn right after Mikko's funeral party. So I draw the incarnation and get the yellow vampire that takes four beatings. As there is no room left anywhere else than in front of my monk, so I'll place him there. Suddenly it's all clear to us that our best and only viable plan is that I'll try to beat the thing right away. A simple do or fail situation. Our only Yin-Yang-symbol that isn't used so far lies on my hands and I use it to call the aid of the marketplace dude. Throwing dice... two jokers! I add two yellow Tao chips to the none I had... throwing dice again... incredibly two more jokers, a black and a blue! The demon is beaten on the last and only possible moment! JUHU!

Here are two pictures from different angles showing the end position. Unfortunately the available lighting created problems when taking the pictures, but anyway, the first one is from my view and the second one from Jukka's view, the latter being more useful.

The available drink is black tea with tar aroma, btw.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kan D
France
Troyes
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice session report!

And indeed, you were VERY LUCKY to win this one!
Don't worry, Wu-Feng will have his revenge later, in the next difficulty level!

zombiezombiezombieninjasauron

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Walton
United Kingdom
Cannock
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Thumbed as much for your avatar as for your report!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.