Subject: Dungeon Quest Solo Play rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nick Howell
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I'm curious. How does the solo play work for this game? Does anyone have some rules they could send me to view? Or know of someplace I can view them?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
Come, come, all children who love fairy tales.
mbmbmbmbmb
The solo play works exactly as normal, the only thing different is the combat rules. They work like this (Swedish version):

Instead of using the battle cards, roll d12:
1–3: You loee 1 LP
4–6: Both you and monster lose 1 LP
7–8: monster loses 1 LP
9: monster loses 2 LP
10–12: reroll

Roll until you or monster is defeated.

Unfortunately, the solo play cannot be done using Catacombs. The spear trap and Rash-karg and most other "monster players chooses a number") you can simulate by rolling a die and not looking, but the amulets… impossible. So unfortunately, no solo play with the Catacombs expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph LaClair
United States
Watertown
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
It plays just fine solo. The challenge for me is to get to the dragons den and escape with two treasures from there. Not an easy task.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
The Freedom Rider - Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers
badge
The Brief and Frightening Reign of Phil - George Saunders
mbmbmbmbmb
Solo works very well. Just keep a record of your highest score, and try to beat that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrik Eden
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Solo play works great. You can even play with many heroes, but then the goal cannot be to be the richest - because no treasures are hidden from the other heroes. I usually play 4 heroes with the goal to get at least 1000 gm (gold coins). It essentially means you must get to the dragon's den.

Amulets don't work by the official rules, but you can include them anyway. If you find an amulet you must first decide if you want it. If you keep it you draw an amulet card and MUST take its consequences. This makes the amulets better, because when you get a good one, you will know in advance and can plan for it. On the other hand, the amulets should be better, to be used at all...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Van Overbay
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Solo play is excellent and a great feature of DungeonQuest. I play solo a lot and prefer to play with both expansions. I have two sets (basic game and both expansions) though, one base game with the expansions mixed in and one without, that way I can play just the base game alone or with others, without having to always sort the expansion tiles and cards out. I'll be putting my extra Heroes and Catacombs sets up for auction soon though since I don't really need those.

One the issue of how to handle amulets, when I play solo with Catacombs and Heroes I only use Azoth or Ironhand as characters since both of them, by the Catacombs rules, are not allowed to use amulets. When I encounter other situations that would normally involve having to have another player hide a die roll such as the Cave Troll or Spear Trap, I handle with a hidden die roll under a cup.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.