Popular Tags: [View All]
Travis Worthington
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
2010 Releases ........................................ The Resistance, Haggis & Triumvirate ..................................... Now accepting submissions for 2011 releases ........................................ www.IndieBoardsandCards.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I just noticed that the rating graphs have much nore of a geekdo look and feel to them, and they took out the number of ratings in each group that the old chart had.

Any reason for this and might we get the number of ratings back in the graphs?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Tullsen
United States
VANCOUVER
WA
flag msg tools
designer
48 hour turnaround time for Prototypes!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1
At least bring back the # for each rating!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M H
Germany
Göttingen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It looks much better, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
I miss the exact numbers for each category as well.

On the plus side, the new one seems to load faster.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Royce Hix
United States
Mequon
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In my opinion it can look as pretty/elegant/etc. as can be but I too miss the number of ratings.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diane Close
United States
Twin Cities
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, the numbers were very useful. This approximation-look, not so useful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Huntington Station
New York
flag msg tools
badge
This one below still looks crass to me.

Ratings Breakdown: Catan Dice Game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Woah, that is a bad change. Hopefully it was just an oversight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Tullsen
United States
VANCOUVER
WA
flag msg tools
designer
48 hour turnaround time for Prototypes!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And the weight graphs are the same too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Karp
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
admin
Developin' Developin" Developin!!
badge
100 geekgold for OverText, and all I got was this stupid sentence.
mbmbmb
Numbers are back.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yay Daniel! thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diane Close
United States
Twin Cities
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes! Much nicer! thumbsup Thank you! kiss
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Worthington
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
2010 Releases ........................................ The Resistance, Haggis & Triumvirate ..................................... Now accepting submissions for 2011 releases ........................................ www.IndieBoardsandCards.com
mbmbmbmbmb
thanks for being so responsive!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Goadrich
United States
Conway
Arkansas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the new graphs, especially since they're images and can be seen from my phone unlike the older graphs. I suspect they are cached and the change was to save bandwidth?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Karp
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
admin
Developin' Developin" Developin!!
badge
100 geekgold for OverText, and all I got was this stupid sentence.
mbmbmb
Better than that--they are generated by Google Charts. Not only don't we have to worry about bandwidth, we don't have to spend any processing power generating the images.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carsten ◄► Wesel
Germany
Pinneberg-Quellental
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Can we have a background-color - the white is much to light for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Nardo
United States
Ellicott City
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Still waiting for the round off error on the graph to be fixed -- the one where N.5 rounds up if N is odd but DOWN if N is even.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Omar Germino
United States
Schaumburg
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dakarp wrote:
Better than that--they are generated by Google Charts. Not only don't we have to worry about bandwidth, we don't have to spend any processing power generating the images.

I've been a fan of the Google Chart API for quite some time now. I don't know why it had never occurred to me to suggest its use on the Geek.

Thanks for making the change, though. The ratings graph finishes loading a bit faster now because of it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Susan F.
Canada
Lethbridge
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
trnardo wrote:
Still waiting for the round off error on the graph to be fixed -- the one where N.5 rounds up if N is odd but DOWN if N is even.

That's not an error; it's just a different rounding convention ('rounding even' rather than 'rounding up'). It introduces less cumulative errors when dealing with statistics so I imagine that's why Google Charts is using it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
trnardo wrote:

That's the rounding convention I was always taught to use, as it rounds up half the time and rounds down the other half, so everything evens out.

I'm curious how you handle N.5 when rounding?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Omar Germino
United States
Schaumburg
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnnyDollar wrote:
trnardo wrote:

That's the rounding convention I was always taught to use, as it rounds up half the time and rounds down the other half, so everything evens out.

This convention is new to me also, though it does make sense in the merits of its use. IIRC, my elementary education taught me to round N.5 to N+1.

For those interested, I found a list of some ways of dealing with N.5: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rounding#Tie-breaking.

The round-up convention I was taught is also prevalent in my field of computer science: the default behavior of the rounding function in most of the languages I've worked with is to use the round-up convention.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Nardo
United States
Ellicott City
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnnyDollar wrote:
trnardo wrote:

I'd been taught to regard N.5 (or N.50) to N+1 regardless of the value of N. Especially on taxes. devil

On every computer I've worked with, in every programming language, the rounding function provided in the standard libraries always rounds N.5 to N+1.

Rounding to the nearest even integer make make "everything even out" in a truly random and widespread distribution, and may make sense when the intent is to create a sum from the rounded values. However, when the purpose is simply to create a visual graph of ten integers, "round to even" creates a false appearance of extra weight for the five even number values. The effect on the presentation is thus much greater than the 0.0005 cumulative effect on each individual value that "round half to even" compensates for -- straining at gnats to swallow camels, as it were....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.