Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gene Chiu
Canada
Vancouver
B.C.
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like cards that allow me to choose between multiple things, so I though of this setup:

2: Courtyard, Pawn
3: Masquerade, Steward
4: Bridge, Ironworks, Mining Village
5: Minion, Torturer
6: Nobles

The idea is that many of the cards in this setup allow for the player and/or opponents to make a choice amongst a number of things to do. Please, comment on what you think of it.

Thanks, in advance.

Stuntman

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Bateson
United Kingdom
Ross-on-Wye
flag msg tools
badge
Oi! Hands off...
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd play Stewards and then Nobles straight down the line with that layout. Use a Steward or two to thin out the Coppers and Estates until the Nobles pile is empty, and then Nobles-combo the table to death. Don't see the other action cards playing a part.

But then again, I've always found Intrigue to have too many weak Action cards. You've left most of the worst ones out of that layout, but it's difficult to justify the inclusion of Ironworks, Courtyard and or Masquerade in any deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gene Chiu
Canada
Vancouver
B.C.
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for your feedback, Ben. I've only played the game twice, so am still learning the strategy. I played the recommended setup for my first game and for the second game the setup included many cards that granted multiple actions.

The first game, Masquerade made things interesting for our group. I liked the fact that you are forced to give a card away. It can make for an interesting decision if you had a really good hand. I thought that Masquerade may play well with Torturer in the same setup. If you get a curse, you Masquerade it back to the guy who played Torturer.

I understand that Courtyard is not that great. Perhaps I should replace it with something else since I already have Pawn as a 2-cost card.

My reason for including Ironworks is to stick with my choices theme. I remember using it when I played, but I don't recall anything memorable whether good or bad.

I was also considering including Upgrade in this setup. Since you have to trash a card from your hand, you have to make a decision on what to trash. It may also be useful in getting rid of curses gained by Torturer.

I haven't had an opportunity to play with attack cards yet. The two attack cards I decided to include would be the first time I would play with attack cards. I'm not sure the effect it would have on the game yet, so I'm looking forward to finding out. One allows the player to choose what to do and the other allows the opponents to choose what to do. I thought they would fit in the theme of my setup.

I considered Secret Chamber. However, I found it curious that there is only one Action-Reaction card in this game. It leads me to believe that Reaction cards are not entirely critical in a setup with attack cards.

Since we're all beginners, I think we'd be trying out the various cards anyway just to see what they do. The last setup we used, there was one card (Harem) where for that particular setup, it seemed obviously useless. I am hoping to avoid that. I guess Courtyard appears to be one. Maquerade was used as well as Ironworks when we first played. It may not be that good, but since we're beginners we may just not know any better, yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Bateson
United Kingdom
Ross-on-Wye
flag msg tools
badge
Oi! Hands off...
mbmbmbmbmb
The standard Beginners advice in these situations is that if you plan a proper deck strategy properly - and you're clearly the sort of people who will want to do that - then probably 6 or 7 of the 10 Kingdom cards will be useless to you.

I was quite interested in generating potentially playable Kingdom layouts at first, but I think the challenge from 10 completely random sets is more fun. It teaches you to learn the combos and things like the Chapel deck and means you have to quickly adapt, whether it's a niggling Thief/Saboteur deck (hint: if you see those two together, expect the game to take a long time) or what we like to call a Festival-blitz deck, which will generally take less that 5 minutes, rather than try and play a strategy which someone has thought up in isolation beforehand.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Anderson
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Stuntman wrote:
The last setup we used, there was one card (Harem) where for that particular setup, it seemed obviously useless. I am hoping to avoid that.
It will be amazingly difficult to find a set of 10 kingdom cards where all 10 could possibly be necessary for a winning strategy. Therefore I would imagine almost all sets will include at least one "useless" kingdom card.

Honestly I'd recommend just shuffling up and dealing 10 random kingdom cards, every game. That's how the designer intended it, and I think that's how the game really shines. I play some "constructed" sets and they're not usually worth the trouble. But I won't stop you - if that's how your group likes it, that's fine too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gene Chiu
Canada
Vancouver
B.C.
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My friend actually has the game. I did download some stuff from here. One of the dox has a number of setups and we just used the beginner one and one of those in that doc so far. We used the one where you get a lot of cards and action and I felt it was pretty fun. I thought I'd create one myself with a particular theme. All of the setup seemed to have some theme associated with it.

We haven't tried the random draw yet. Perhaps we'll give that a try to see how that goes before trying some arranged setup.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Opie None
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The way my gaming group sets up our 10 supply decks is by taking our black market deck (the blue backed stack) and dealing it out in it's entirety. Then we take turns each choosing one card from our stack one at a time, starting with either a randomly chosen person or starting with the previous winner, until we have 10. Then after that game we toss those 10 aside and setup another game from what we have left until we've used most every card in the game, depending of course on how many games we play that night. That way everybody has the opportunity to affect the feel of the build and/or respond to any obvious strategies somebody might be trying to put forth. This method of making your builds will also help your group become acquainted with each and every card in the game, not just the initial obvious useful cards from the beginner setup. Hope this helps your group out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.